Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeskating

Old     (barry)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-21-2003, 9:53 PM Reply   
I've been out on the boat 4 times in the past 6 days.. my board has been locked on the racks and has only come off once. why?
Wakeskating!! folks this is what watersports are about..Today I rode 5-45 minute sets and my damn stomach hurts from laughing so much. The falls are insanely funny! The guys in the boat were on the floor laughing the whole time.

That is seriously good stuff!

B-
Old     (barry)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-21-2003, 10:14 PM Reply   
Blah! I didn't want to post it here.. I think skating needs exposure!

B-
Old     (wakeguru)      Join Date: Feb 2003       05-22-2003, 6:36 AM Reply   
True, especially on this site.
Are you sure your stomach doesn't hurt from riding over 3 1/2 hrs on the wakeskate in one day?
Marathon Barry, I'm jealous.

Yeah, my wakeskate has been getting a lot more play than my wakeboard lately, but I think it's taking a toll on my hip (old war wound).
Old    warlock00            05-22-2003, 10:30 AM Reply   
I am with you guys...my board has been seeing less, and less water time...

Skating is soooo much fun. Anybody going wake to wake yet? I am almost there, couple more weeks and I should have it. I did clear it one time, to bad the board was not under me when I landed.
Old     (barry)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-22-2003, 12:02 PM Reply   
David,
I got to marathon because everyone else was tired. I had a couple of young(19 and 26) guys with me and they couldn't hang with the elderly!

Jason, no w2w yet.. I'll be working on it Sunday afternoon.. I never skateboarded so I'm not sure how to keep the skate on my feet when I jump.
Any suggestions?

B-
Old     (wakeguru)      Join Date: Feb 2003       05-22-2003, 12:22 PM Reply   
I've never really been taught it, but I can do it so here goes:
Like skating it's all in the legs. Front foot pressure and back foot pressure.
When doing wake to wakes the key is to lift your front foot up and bring your legs up to your body somewhat. By lifting your front foot and legs (front foot first) you will allow the board to rise off the wake and stay underneath you while in the air. From there its all about just staying in position and sticking the landing.
Old     (barry)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-22-2003, 1:39 PM Reply   
I'll try that..thanks!

I'm afraid I'm going to take a board in the teeth one of these days. ouch!

B-
Old     (hatepwcs)      Join Date: Mar 2002       05-22-2003, 1:50 PM Reply   
You want to protect your teeth? Try keeping that big mouth of yours shut!!!!!

Seriously, anyone riding with a cup? I also thought about tube socks and those old soccer shin gaurds. Being old sucks, I try to remember that pain is just fear leaving your body.
Old     (craiger)      Join Date: May 2002       05-22-2003, 2:00 PM Reply   
Chris,

PLEASE get a pic of you riding in tube socks and shin guards. that would be good.

I have yet to be hit hard by my skate in 4+ years of wakeskating, guess I have been lucky..

When in doubt during a fall, always cover up the ol' melon and face area with your arms just to be safe
Old     (barry)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-22-2003, 3:19 PM Reply   
Now you're coming into my thread?
Let's settle this. Meet me at Millerton lake on the 7th.. we can square this up then, punk,

B-
Old    lukeh2owalker            05-22-2003, 3:43 PM Reply   
ding ding round 2
Old    warlock00            05-22-2003, 4:10 PM Reply   
I never skateboarded either, so this is all new to me. I have only been out like 3 or 4 times on it. We did take the bindings off our old board and rode it some last year.

thanks for the tip guru...I'll be working on it this weekend. and I have got the hands to the melon just in case move. My brother got hit in the shin by it the first day, no blood so no big deal.

Old    simba            05-22-2003, 8:23 PM Reply   
I dont get what the big deal is about wakeskating. No, I havnt tried it but was thinking about getting one then thought to myself....you cant do near the tricks u can with a wakeboard. Am I right? Why bother worring about the board staying under you ect.

How do you go from being good at wakeboarding to not even being able to wake to wake jump on a wakeskate? Why do you want to worry about the board smacking u in the nads or the head? Why do you want to wear shoes in the water?

Im not bashing wakeskating, its just some thoughts that went though my head that told me just stick with wakeboarding although im still considering a wakeskate.
Old     (barry)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-22-2003, 8:56 PM Reply   
Ron,
Try it a few times and you'll understand.
Skating is far more of a balancing act then boarding is. Technical is good word for it.

B-
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-22-2003, 10:13 PM Reply   
Yup, I didn't see the point of wakeskating until I tried it, it is a hellva fun.
Old    wakbrd21            05-22-2003, 10:13 PM Reply   
Ron,
Have you seen any of the wakeboard videos that have been made in the past 2 years. if get just o.k. on a skate then go back to your bindings you will see what its all about. your balance and technical aspects of riding will greatly increase
Trey
Old     (wakeguru)      Join Date: Feb 2003       05-23-2003, 6:34 AM Reply   
That's so true. It's a great training tool.
Old    warlock00            05-23-2003, 7:06 AM Reply   
Ron why worry about blowing out your ACL, or messing up your ankle wakeboarding? Do you remember when you first got on a wakeboard? That smile on your face? Well, for me, wakeskating is that smile back on my face learning something all new...

My riding buddy did not want to try it for the longest time. Got him on it and now he understands why I like doing it so much right now...
Old     (barry)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-23-2003, 7:35 AM Reply   
"Do you remember when you first got on a wakeboard? That smile on your face? Well, for me, wakeskating is that smile back on my face learning something all new..."

Exactly!
not to mention the near drownings from not being to control my laughter on the way down..and, on a skate, you go down a lot. I'm going out this morning!

B-

Old    warlock00            05-23-2003, 7:51 AM Reply   
you suck...just kidding I am just jealous. I will be out early tomorrow...
Old     (blabel)      Join Date: Jul 2001       05-23-2003, 8:42 AM Reply   
Glad to hear Barry! I felt the same way when I started to wakeskate. My skill level on a wakeboard has been at a near standstill thanks to wakeskating!
Old    thinair            05-23-2003, 1:36 PM Reply   
Might as well just sell that old thing Barry, I havn't made a full set wakeboarding in 2+ years. When I get on a wakeboard now my feet throb within 2 minutes and I'm constantly trying to move my feet around. My knees thank me for not wakeboarding every day. It is so refreshing to get up in the morning and actually be able to walk.
Old    griffin            05-23-2003, 7:27 PM Reply   
I just started wakeskating and its really fun i have landed a w2w jump yet but im real close. I have been trying to figure out how to jump and land on the same wake if you know how to this please post some tips.
-Ben
Old    mxracer            05-29-2003, 12:55 AM Reply   
about jumping on a wakeskate, you need to let the board arc with you meaning let your legs soak up the board, your feet should just be barely touching, you don't want to stop any of the vertical motion of the board especially on the first half of the arc. Hope this helps.