Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (norcal_wakejunky)      Join Date: Oct 2006       04-16-2007, 11:49 AM Reply   
Looking at getting a hyperlite broadcast 4'8", I'm 5'10" 190lbs will this board be to small and fast enough for me? Surfing behind an centurion avalanche if that helps.
Old     (norris_laker)      Join Date: Aug 2006       04-16-2007, 12:44 PM Reply   
Steve,

I'm 5'10" 180 lbs and I surf on a 4'9" broadcast. This is a great beginning board to have to cover a wide range of sizes. We have surfers between 40 lbs to 225 lbs use this board. My eight year old daughter used this board to win the Scioto WakeFest last year and the third place finisher (who was bigger than me) in the men's division used this board. The down side of this board is if you surf a lot, you will probably outgrow this board quickly and want a better performing board.
Old     (norcal_wakejunky)      Join Date: Oct 2006       04-16-2007, 1:13 PM Reply   
No thats great to hear just because I'm going to have a lot of first timers on my boat. Great thanks Roy
Old     (norris_laker)      Join Date: Aug 2006       04-16-2007, 1:34 PM Reply   
The broadcast is great for first timers. It is easy for beginners to push the board down at take off. My experience is that you will never be satisfied with one surf board. The more the merrier. I currently have 2 boards and I'm looking at possibly adding two more. I'm going to demo a lot of different boards this weekend at the Norris Lake Ice Beaker. I really like the Inland Surfer Yellow and I'm interested in the Inland Surfer 4 Skim.
Old     (norcal_wakejunky)      Join Date: Oct 2006       04-16-2007, 1:44 PM Reply   
My friends have a calibrated board and its super fun and loose, but at my size I have to work and pump the board way to much to get it going. Once in a while I can find the sweet spot and just chill behind the boat. My friends love it b/c they can do surface 360s on it. That yellow inland surfer does look sweet. I have ridden the blue lake and I have to say its one of the easiest boards I have ridden. Its really fast so I'm always having to use my back foot to slow down.
Old     (norris_laker)      Join Date: Aug 2006       04-16-2007, 2:02 PM Reply   
The yellow accelerates quickly. You can also use this board at faster boat speeds.
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       04-16-2007, 3:47 PM Reply   
I run about 210 to 230, I rode Roy’s Broadcast last year and have a Broadcast 5.6 as well. I've found that as I've improved my skills I'm able to ride smaller boards. Last year I rode the smallest Trick Boardz Velocity available, that’s a unique experience riding a tinny, tinny board. I don't think the 4.9 would be a good board for me when I was a bigger beginner.

I really like the Inland Surfer Blue as a good all round board. This board is good for beginners but has plenty of room for growth. I’ve ridden the Blue only a few times but loved each time. I have a Yellow, if your crew tends to be under 200 pounds that might be a great board too. I can’t believe how fast the little Yellow is.

One thing that I think a beginner needs is stability. You get stability with more fins. I think all of the Shred Stixx boards have three fins, each fin is removable and replaceable. So, once you get your skills down you can play with your set up. I rode a Stixx Extreme last year but it was a bit small for my weight. John Rogers is going to bring a few Stixx boards to Lake Norris the weekend, I'm looking forward to trying these boards.
Old    surfdad            04-16-2007, 7:02 PM Reply   
I think there is a difference between riding a board and riding a board that is properly sized for the rider. This is a picture of Dennis, the board is a 4'6" Composite X. Dennis is 6' + and in the same weight range as Ed. Dennis has wakesurfed and surfed in the ocean for years, which gives him the skill to ride the smaller board, but it's way too small for him and the quality of the ride suffers.

Upload

I'm about 180 and ride a 4'9" I can ride smaller boards but the 4'9" is a considerably better ride for me. On smaller wakes, I also have a 4'11" Jamako that offers greater width.

Upload

Not to argue with my esteemed colleage, but I would take exception to the number of fins as the component to stability. Stability of the board has a number of factors. Length and width of the board are probably more important for keeping a board going straight and staying flat or level...which I think are the components for stability.

The placement of the fins forward from the tail and the depth of the fins, rather than the number have the impact on the way a board turns. A DEEP trailing fin (fin close to the tail) will tend to cause the board to track more straight (resist turning).

Less deep fins (similar to wakeboarding fins, say 1.5" depth) offer less hold or reistance to turning than deeper fins (say 4.5" Futures).
This resistance to turning aids stability.

So, IMO, the priority is

1) Closer to the tail
2) Deeper (longer depth)
3) More fins (1, twin, thruster, quad, etc.)
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       04-16-2007, 8:01 PM Reply   
Right, though I can surf a mini Trick Boardz the ride is only interesting because the board is so small. Riding the tinny Trick Boardz board was a good balance exercise and good for understanding where the sweet spot is. Riding a slightly larger Trick Boardz board, still way too small for me, however was really a lot of fun, but I don't think I'll ever air that board in those conditions, but I’ve done it a number of times, fun each time.

Jeff rides more than I do and has more hardware and experience than I. By my experience the Stixx Extreme and the Broadcast 5.6, yes the pressed out big brand board, are both very stable and have been very good for first timers. I have less experience with the Stixx board but while I had it for demo my crew found the Stixx board to be more stable than the rest of my quiver. Both the Broadcast and Stixx board have three fins I attribute stability to the fins.

If you look at the rest of my quiver you’d probably agree that the three fin Stixx (not one of my boards) and Broadcast boards are the most stable of the lot. I have three Trick Boardz, great boards I love them, but they are not as stable. I have an IS Red and IS Yellow, I prefer both boards over the Broadcast, but I think I’d put a first timer on the Broadcast before putting them on the Yellow or Red. The IS boards have two fins and in MHO are less stable. I’ve spun the Yellow for a 3, but didn’t keep the wake. I think the Broadcast would be much harder to spin. Pulling the fins on the Broadcast loosens it up. I think that a board that’s hard to spin is probably more stable and better for first timers.

Once I figured out that I could ride a Walker F-18 by dropping normal boat speed by 1 mph I rode the heck out of that board. Rail to rail speed was really amazing. The board is still too small for my weight and the boat speed was too slow, but I think that I really got what the F-18 was all about. I think part of what make the F-18 rail to rail fast is that it has two stable positions, defined by two canted fins. So I’d say that the F-18 is a little unstable, but in this case that’s an amazingly good thing, but also not a good first timer board. I think this is in line with what Jeff is saying.

The fin on the 4Skim board is further forward than most. I’m expecting the 4 Skim to spin more easily.

We varied the fin placement on the board cast in as many combination and permutation as are possible. More and bigger fins are more stable period. Higher stability is better for first timers. I think Shred Stixx offers more flexibility with the higher fin count. You can swap them out and tailor to your own tastes.

I’d go with a three fin Stixx board over a Broadcast any day. If I was buying one board and one board only and if I was planning on teaching many to surf for the first time I’d defiantly look hard at the Blue, but I’d give a Stixx board a hard look too since the three fin configuration give you added stability for that wobblely first timer.

Oh I also have a sheet of plywood that rides like a stick of butter and I copied and stretched a Walker F-18, but my construction technique made the board 4 times heavier, she’s a pig but a beauty in my eyes:-)