Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 27, 2003 > Archive through June 22, 2004

Old     (hillbilly)      Join Date: Aug 2002       05-19-2004, 2:13 PM Reply   
I broke off the threaded end of my impeller mounting bolt in the block. Correct craft wants $900 to take it out.The boat is a 1986 model 2001 with a 351 commander marine motor. I know an ez-out should get it but they say its going to need the motor pulled from the boat to get access for the ez-out. Or do they make a 3-4 inch ez-out that would be long enough. Thanks in advance JEFF
Old     (bmblbee)      Join Date: Aug 2002       05-19-2004, 3:11 PM Reply   
How did you break it off? Trying to get it out or while putting it back in? If it's seized in the hole it could take a lot of effort to remove. If it's loose you can go with a smaller diameter easy out. Either way you will need clear access to it to ensure you drill the center out. I suggest you remove everything you can to provide space and see how tough it is before you pull the engine. If the engine does have to move I'd be inclined to have a dealer do it to ensure everything lines up after it's back together.
Old     (tcaton)      Join Date: Sep 2002       05-19-2004, 4:08 PM Reply   
If you have access enough to get a drill in there you would have plenty of room for the ez out if not you could try a right angle drill to get more room if the bolt is rusted in there and you can't get it to come out get a heli coil kit and fix the hole that way the kit comes with a drill bit heli coil and tap.
Old    slalomskifreak            05-20-2004, 5:39 AM Reply   
Take it to a machine shop and get their evaluation. Our local shop is $50/hr. I just had one done and they did not use an e-z out, rather a cutting bit. If you are going to do it yourself, don't use a cheap e-z out. Use a Snap-On/MAC, one that requires a 1/2" socket. 3/4" bolts require 13/32" drill and extractor. Remember, e-z outs do break, and once they do it is a mess. I work with them a lot and have had several break off flush with the bolt. One that big would something. Good luck!

(Message edited by slalomskifreak on May 20, 2004)
Old    ag4ever            05-20-2004, 8:22 AM Reply   
I was doing some metal work, and I had a tap break. I then tried to drill it out. No dice. Then I tried a better bit, I got enough of a hole to try an easy out to remove the bit, then the easy out broke. I then tried drilling again. No dice. Then I just took the angle grinder cut the section of, and welded a new piece on. Once the tool steel starts breaking you have a big mess on your hands.
Old     (bob)      Join Date: Feb 2001       05-20-2004, 9:29 AM Reply   
Yea, what Curt and Robert said, if you do decide to do it yourself remeber as your turning the screw extractor that it too can break so dont exceed that calibrated elbow or you will be headed to the machine shop if they can even help. Id say give it a shot with a screw extractor but dont come even close to the force it would take to break it (use the right size one too) and if it doesnt go anywhere (you can try a bit of heat with a propane torch {Warning: BESURE THERE ARE NO FUMES AROUND WHERE YOU ARE HEATING} and some liquid wrench or wd40. I would then make a trip to the machine shop, not the dealer since they are cheaper and have more experience then the dealer getting out stuck or broken bolts.
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       05-20-2004, 11:12 AM Reply   
another possibility is to weld a nut to the broken part. weld won't stick to the cast iron block, only the bolt.
Old     (hillbilly)      Join Date: Aug 2002       05-20-2004, 1:12 PM Reply   
Yeah I picked up the boat today and the shop mech. told me he called a machine shop and they qouted him $200 to remove the bolt after the motor was pulled from the boat. I guess if I just stop the slight water leak from the hole I could still use it right? It should still get enough water for cooling the motor shouldnt it?
Old     (bmblbee)      Join Date: Aug 2002       05-20-2004, 2:31 PM Reply   
So Jeff. I understand you don't want to spend a bunch of $ to fix this but not doing it right could cause bigger problems in the long run. What is the boat worth now and what would it be worth if the engine blows? To keep your out of pocket costs to a minimum try to find a do it yourself shop with a overhead hoist. Pull the engine, take it to the machine shop and have them remove the bolt. Offer to pay them on an hourly basis. If it's easy your cost is low & if its hard it will be worth the cost. Install the engine and hope you didn't forget anything.

Good luck
Old     (hillbilly)      Join Date: Aug 2002       05-21-2004, 12:18 AM Reply   
Yeah I thought about taking the motor apart ( brackets) myself and see how close I could get to the block without having to pull the motor. When I asked the head mech. at WCCC today while picking up my boat he said I could run it but it would leak water out of the hole. He told me a couple solutions to stop the leak but he would not do it. Just for the sake that he wants things done right. But he did not think it would pose a problem as long as it did not get the belts wet and cause them to slip. Guess I better work some more overtime to pay for this as well as a wedding.....DAMMIT