Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       10-22-2013, 2:37 PM Reply   
Been wakesurfing this past year and have always been wanting to do a successful platform start. I have attempted this a number of times, but just seem to eat it and play it off like I didn't REALLY want to platform start, I just wanted to get in to pee
Anyways, the last 2 times I have gone out, I have done a platform stop, the first kinda on accident, the second on purpose to end my set. The first time since I was still in the middle of my set I tried to drop back out with a platform start, but this didn't end well for me.
Do any of you have any tips for platform starting? We're going out in a few hours and I would like to give it another shot with some input.

For instance, is it easier to do when the boat is still getting up to speed (with the rope, and easing yourself into the pocket) or is it better when the boat is already at speed?
Old     (LKASurfing)      Join Date: Nov 2011       10-22-2013, 5:39 PM Reply   
Well first of all it is potentially a risky deal, because if you slip you could cause some damage to yourself on the back of the boat!....

With that being said, you should do it once the boat is up to speed and has a fully formed wake!
Old     (WakeDirt)      Join Date: Jun 2011       10-22-2013, 9:51 PM Reply   
Just be sure to be using your board on your boat...the hand glassed boards don't like deck starts
Old     (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       10-23-2013, 8:44 AM Reply   
No rope needed, just jump off the swim step on to your board, like you would on a wakeskate off a dock
Old     (petrie141)      Join Date: Jun 2012       10-23-2013, 2:38 PM Reply   
The only time I've ever wanted to do this was when I was cold and didn't want to start in the water. Guess where I ended up as soon as I left the platform... it didn't work and I have zero desire to try it again. What's a shame is that noobs in the boat would find a platform start way more impressive than a shove it.
Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       10-23-2013, 3:09 PM Reply   
I didn't see any replies until we got back from the river, but thanks for replying.
So I did attempt it again and actually succeeded to do a platform start.

What I did was start with all my weight on my front foot with the tip of the board on the platform. I was holding the handle of the rope in one hand and the rest of the rope loosely hanging with the other hand, at the same time holding myself on the back of the boat.
When the boat start moving, leaned back and slowly let go of the slack of rope while keeping tension on it. I did this until I was at the handle in the pocket, since we were then at surf speed, and threw the rope almost immediately.

I want to try it at speed and just dropping off into the pocket like I've seen in videos and was suggested on here.

I also did 2 platform stops again yesterday, one in the middle of the set, because I threw the rope, but not hard enough, so it slid back in the water at me and started to float back me to trip me up. I stopped to avoid it tripping me up and making me fall.
I tried to do another platform start from there, but the driver thought I was falling and eased up in the middle of it which threw my balance off.
The second one was to end the set.

One thing I did notice about doing a platform start, is if you are doing it to avoid the cold, unless you are casually just cruising back there you will probably fall at some point trying something and get wet anyway.
Also because you are dry, the spray you get against your back leg and anywhere else slashing around seems extra cold and you notice it more than if you were already wet.

Oh and I've never wakeskated, or did a dock start anywhere. Everywhere around here is a no wake zone at the docks. We don't have access to any private ones outside a no wake zone. I have done beach starts wakeboarding and skiing though.

Last edited by phathom; 10-23-2013 at 3:11 PM.
Old     (WakesurfSanDiego)      Join Date: Mar 2012       10-23-2013, 6:17 PM Reply   
I can do it 70% of the time. I am a regular surfer, so modify mirror image for goofy start.
1 - I begin on the port side of the swim step, maybe one foot closer to port than the center of the step
2 - Board 3" from hull at tip of board, fins pointed straight back.
3 - All weight on my front (left) foot to hold board in position. My left foot is a little forward of my normal surfing position.
4 - Rope in front of me, stretching BEHIND me
5 - Driver puts boat in gear, letting rope stretch back into wake zone
6 - Driver MUST go straight during start
7 - Driver accelerates, like a normal wakesurf pickup
8 - I have a "close" rope knot in my left hand, and another knot 4-5 feet further down the rope in my right hand. I am using the close knot to help balance on the step
9 - As soon as the boat BEGINS to accelerate, I weight my back (right) foot, which is in the normal rear surf position
10- I put 80% of my weight on the back foot, still holding on with my left hand.
11- I quickly let go with my left hand, and bring it together with my right hand on the "further down" knot. This moves me a few feet behind the boat.
12- I get stable behind the boat as the wake forms, and move "left" into the port wave. I continue with more weight on the back foot than on the front, maybe 60/40.
13- I play out the rope a little at a time to get back to the handle
14- I move my front foot to the appropriate spot for surfing
15- I redistribute my weight appropriate for surfing

DO NOT
1 - Do not Wakesurf behind an outboard or I/O, inboards only !!
2 - Do not coil rope around any part of your body or hands, if you fall, you can do EXTREME damage to your arm, hand, ....

Marco Thompson
http://www.surfthirty.com/
Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       10-23-2013, 11:53 PM Reply   
Good detailed step by step. Pretty much what I did with the exception of the rope handling. Normally we use a skinny surf rope with a triangle handle so there's not a lot to grip to as far as knots.
We do have a thicker knotted handleless rope we use that does have the knots, but we normally prefer the skinnier one because it's lighter and easier to toss in the boat without much force since we typically toss it in as soon as the wake is formed. I can see how the thick type of rope would be easier to do a platform start with though.
Does anyone have any tips for doing a ropeless platform start? So far I'm the one of two people we ride with that I've seen actually pull off a platform start, just like we've mentioned already so I don't really have anyone in person for tips on this. I suppose it's gonna be like a trial and error process.
Old     (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       10-24-2013, 10:07 AM Reply   
Like I said, a ropeless platform start, begins with you jumping off the swimstep on to your board to catch the wave. This is way more impressive then starting with the rope and the tip of your board on the step. This is actually the only way to do it. Starting with the rope is ridiculous, JMO........
Old     (BenHolloway)      Join Date: Aug 2012       10-24-2013, 10:13 AM Reply   
Call Dom, he'll show you how to get it done and should only cost you 175/hr
Old     (trayson)      Join Date: May 2013 Location: Vancouver WA       10-24-2013, 10:44 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by WakeDirt View Post
Just be sure to be using your board on your boat...the hand glassed boards don't like deck starts
I would tend to agree. Since Phathom is using my board (albeit a mass produced board) and my boat, I'd be kinda pissed if he f***cked up my board or boat.

But I humor him for the time being. Mostly because the epic fails were so damn funny to watch.

And for the record, Phathom, I did a platform start successfully 4 years ago, on like my 2nd or 3rd time ever wakesurfing (hell, I was still lineriding at that time). And I have it on video, so technically you've "seen" me do it too. Just not live.
Old     (WakeDirt)      Join Date: Jun 2011       10-24-2013, 8:26 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by trayson View Post
I would tend to agree. Since Phathom is using my board (albeit a mass produced board) and my boat, I'd be kinda pissed if he f***cked up my board or boat.

But I humor him for the time being. Mostly because the epic fails were so damn funny to watch.

And for the record, Phathom, I did a platform start successfully 4 years ago, on like my 2nd or 3rd time ever wakesurfing (hell, I was still lineriding at that time). And I have it on video, so technically you've "seen" me do it too. Just not live.
I have a buddy that is obsessed with deck starts for some reason, so I let him use the broadcast instead of the .352 or the piscus...and he is not so into deck starts after a a few pulls on the ol HL beater board ha ha. I also love the videos of the peeps just jumping back into the wave on the board (without a rope)...those also mess with his moral

Last edited by WakeDirt; 10-24-2013 at 8:30 PM.
Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       10-25-2013, 11:42 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by trayson View Post

You were the one I was referring to, but now that I think about it. Ryan also did one when we were out. So 3 total, not 2. Also still have yet to see anyone do one without the rope.

Also I bet you don't care about the platform wear too much since I built the platform and it's a prototype anyway until we build the new one. The coating is already coming off and it's pretty much toast once the seaon is done.
Yes the epic fails are funny to watch, just like when we saw the attempted Acid Drop. That was gold.