Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (digg311)      Join Date: Sep 2007       04-19-2012, 11:35 PM Reply   
Okay guys... looking for some general thoughts/ideas for how to update our kitchen. We just bought a new house and I think the kitchen needs some attention. Problem is, I've basically got no cash to spend.

I'm thinking the obvious first step is to paint or refinish the cabinets and other wood surfaces. That's where I'm looking for some input. What do you guys think? Paint? Stain? Any and all ideas welcome. And I'm not the handiest guy in the world, but I'll be doing the work myself, so any advice on process is welcome too.

Counter tops is also on the list, but that's gonna have to wait... I KNOW that's gonna cost an arm and a leg.

We did already replace the fridge with stainless to match the other appliances, and I'm looking into a stainless Microwave to mount over the range, which will help us ditch the dated hood vent.

Thanks in advance for helping out!
Attached Images

Old     (crypted1)      Join Date: Jun 2009       04-20-2012, 3:20 AM Reply   
Those cabinets look like a medium oak. A chocolate glaze over them would look good. Its easer and faster then painting and restaining them. It also would contrast the floor and make it "pop". You could glaze the whole thing and be done, or you could glaze, let it sit a bit, then wipe off the extra for that antique look. But you may need the change the hardware to a darker color or you could use a lighter hardware so it "pops" also.

That and matching appliances and I think you'll be good. Don't forget the hood over the range.
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       04-20-2012, 4:07 AM Reply   
Make some concrete countertops!
Old     (jhartt3)      Join Date: Jan 2012       04-20-2012, 5:01 AM Reply   
Ditto on the Concrete. These are decently easy to make and look great when done. Price wont cost you an arm and a leg either... i'd say doing them yourself you looking at between 500 and 1k.
Old     (c5dagand)      Join Date: Mar 2012       04-20-2012, 6:18 AM Reply   
I work for Whirlpool Corporation and if you need an OTR I could give you a discount by using my VIP link. We have five brands to choose from. I personally love darker cabinets for a kitchen and it looks great with stainless steel appliances. At Home Depot they have kits they allow you to stain the countertop and make it look like granite (it looks great and it is a cheaper way out).
Old     (cadunkle)      Join Date: Jul 2009 Location: NJ       04-20-2012, 7:20 AM Reply   
I think it looks nice mostly as is. That counter top would drive me nuts though. New counter top, matching appliances and hood over the stove and call it a day. Not sure the microwave situation (don't see one) but maybe do one over the range. Is lighting adequate in early morning or after dark? Looks like decent task lighting but the rest may be darker? Add a fixture if needed?
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       04-20-2012, 9:08 AM Reply   
I'd say stain the cabinets a darker color and redue the counter in a granite tile or something that you like. I found granite tile at the depot that was $ 2.50 sqft. Tiling really isn't that hard to do. It just takes some time and patience. Otherwise even arborite is around $ 35.00 a ft
Old     (95sn)      Join Date: Sep 2005       04-20-2012, 10:17 AM Reply   
Congrats on your purchase, it looks very nice. Granite seems to be getting too inexpensive to not use. I see it all over for $99 a slab. Good Luck!
Old     (digg311)      Join Date: Sep 2007       04-20-2012, 1:14 PM Reply   
Thanks everyone, for the advice so far... and for the compliments. We're pretty excited about the new place. It took us almost a year to sell our previous house and this one is a definite upgrade.

The cabinets are a little more worn in person than they appear in the pic. Refinishing them somehow would add a lot. I think a darker color would be nice. If I did a chocolate glaze, what would that require? Just a light sanding?

I REALLY want to re-do the counters... and concrete has definitely intrigued me in the past... but I'm not sure I could pull off doing it myself. But I HATE all the tile and grout, so it may be a necessity.

As far as granite, roughly how much would it cost for a kitchen of this size?

Quote:
Originally Posted by c5dagand View Post
I work for Whirlpool Corporation and if you need an OTR I could give you a discount by using my VIP link. We have five brands to choose from.
Thats awesome! And super generous. Thanks so much! Can you give me an idea which brands/models would be available? I'll send you a PM with my email address.