Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 01, 2007

Old     (typhoon)      Join Date: Jul 2001       04-04-2007, 5:33 PM Reply   
Which is louder in your opinion?
Old     (atropine)      Join Date: Aug 2004       04-04-2007, 7:03 PM Reply   
I had 4 6x9's in a tower box, and then on my next boat I had a pair of Evid 6.2's. The Evids were much louder and more clear. I haven't had any experience with a real high quality set of 6.5's in cans, but for 6.5's in cans at a comparable price to a set of Evids, I would bet the Evids will be much better.
Old    alanp            04-04-2007, 10:53 PM Reply   
evids
Old     (talltigeguy)      Join Date: Sep 2003       04-05-2007, 12:06 PM Reply   
Ty,

Do you still have the Evids I sold you?

I see a pair of new Evids on Ebay for about $430 shipped. I think that you would be hard pressed to be able to get 4 cans and 4 HIGH QUALITY speakers for that price.

I think that 4 high quality speakers would give you the same sound quality as the Evids, but I think it would be hard to do it for $430.
Old     (typhoon)      Join Date: Jul 2001       04-05-2007, 12:13 PM Reply   
I loved the evids. I sold my boat but am looking to get another one the end of this summer. I am going to do more evids again. I did find some other boxes with four 6x9's also for about the same price but how do you think that would compare?

four 6x9's versus the evids??
Old    alanp            04-05-2007, 5:17 PM Reply   
go with the evids. car audio is not the way to go on a boat if you wanna hear the sound while riding. just buy a nice amp to push the evids.
Old     (leblanc1)      Join Date: Apr 2006       04-06-2007, 10:16 PM Reply   
I have 3 Evids on mine and love it. Wouldn't trade them for anything.
Old     (hemihauler)      Join Date: Jan 2006       04-09-2007, 9:58 PM Reply   
How did you mount your evids to your tower?
Old     (ebramtlu)      Join Date: Sep 2006       04-09-2007, 10:22 PM Reply   
Anyone have some used evids they would sell me???
Old     (wake_pop)      Join Date: Jul 2004       04-10-2007, 12:09 PM Reply   
Buy some nice clamps, insert them through the top hole with a flat mounting plate or large washer inside for support, install on tower, add lots of power and enjoy.
You do have to take the grill off and remove 8 phillips screws to pop the speaker guts out of the enclosure, but not that tough if you take your time.Upload
Upload
Old     (hemihauler)      Join Date: Jan 2006       04-10-2007, 1:14 PM Reply   
Thanks JM, what amp do you have pushing them?
Old     (wake_pop)      Join Date: Jul 2004       04-10-2007, 1:20 PM Reply   
I just had a basic Kenwood 800W 2 channel. Sounded real good. The best part was they didn't kill the peeps in the boat when they were cranked. They aren't the prototypical tower speaker look or shape but you can't beat the sound for the price.Upload
Old     (hemihauler)      Join Date: Jan 2006       04-10-2007, 2:04 PM Reply   
Thanks JM
Old     (typhoon)      Join Date: Jul 2001       04-10-2007, 4:47 PM Reply   
I owned a pair and they sounded awesome. One thing you have to keep in mind, they are rated at 8 ohms and 150 watts rms each. So with that amp you are only putting 200 watts to each. I have 250 watts to each and i blew the tweeters. I rewired mine to be brideged at a 4 ohm load on a 2 channel amp. it was a 300 watt kicker and it rocked putting over 150 watts to each. it was wired in mono, but at 70 feet back you cannot hear any side differentiation anyway. I will buy another pair for my next boat also. I also had mine mounted on top and looked awesome as the curvature matched the lines of the tower.
Old     (talltigeguy)      Join Date: Sep 2003       04-10-2007, 5:13 PM Reply   
I have the clamps I used to have on my Evids. They fit a 2 inch tower if anyone wants to buy them. They are identical to what is in the pics above. I'll ship them for $25. Shoot me a PM. They are just gathering dust in my garage.

I never had to take the grills off to mount them. There is a panel on the back that comes off. I beleive that it has just 4 screws. I have large hands and was able to fit things in there to get a large washer inside and tighten things up just fine.

I too blew a tweeter on one of my speakers (Yeah! by Usher). I was running too much power. I had closer to 300 watts going to each, If I remember right, so I deserved what I got.