Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (rio_sanger)      Join Date: Apr 2007       03-20-2011, 7:10 PM Reply   
My boat has a manual bilge pump, with an on/ off switch on the dash.
I'm thinking about adding a second automatic pump that is wired directly to the battery so that it works when the boat is in the water unattended.
My question is can I just tap into the discharge hose of the original pump using the same thru hull, or will that somehow backfeed into the original pump and cause a problem?
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       03-20-2011, 8:12 PM Reply   
It possibly could feed back into the stock pump but a one way flapper vavle in the original discharge hose just below where you tap the second pump in would be an easy solution. The type of fitting you use can have an effect too. A "Y" would be a better choice than a "T", and with the "Y", you may not even need the flapper vavle.
Old     (rio_sanger)      Join Date: Apr 2007       03-21-2011, 6:26 AM Reply   
Yes , I was definitly thinking a "Y" but that flapper valve sounds like a good idea also .
Thanks Sparky!
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       03-21-2011, 6:56 AM Reply   
just test it before you mount it up. cartridge type pumps don't like a lot of head pressure and depending on the pump and valve may not like setup.

edit.
you can also buy a float switch that will active your manual pump when water rises to the float. maybe the simpler solution

Last edited by denverd1; 03-21-2011 at 6:56 AM. Reason: forgot stuff
Old     (Thrall)      Join Date: Oct 2010       03-21-2011, 8:37 AM Reply   
What Nacho said. Maybe easier to get a float switch or just get a bilge pump with a built in float.
Then "on" is "auto" and "off" is "off."
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       03-21-2011, 9:30 AM Reply   
Nacho is right on. I had problems overcoming the pressure on a backflow with a cartridge pump and just added another discharge. Aside from having it work when you need it, another discharge hose will also increase your pumping capacity. Do it right and add another line.
Old     (jmcdanie)      Join Date: Oct 2009       03-21-2011, 9:50 AM Reply   
If you go with the float switch, you will have to make sure that you have a direct connection to the battery. If your current pump requires the key to be turned on in order to work, the auto switch will not be able to turn the pump on unless the key is turned so make sure it will run without the key....
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       03-21-2011, 7:30 PM Reply   
Sanger factory bilge is wired hot, no ignition key required, just flip the switch.