Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through September 22, 2008

Old     (dirwoody)      Join Date: Apr 2003       08-23-2008, 9:06 AM Reply   
She prefers tubing over boarding. I already got her a really nice setup but now feel like I'm "sleeping with the enemy"

Just had to get that off my chest. I hate tubers and now my girl wants to be one!
Old     (helix_rider)      Join Date: Mar 2003       08-23-2008, 9:29 AM Reply   
Intellectually, I agree with you. My wife and I were talking about this the other day, as we have a kid on the way and kids inevitably want to tube. We all agree that it is a fairly non-skilled activity, but show me a picture of someone tubing where they don't have a big smile plastered to their face (beyond the tuber hitting a triple up, they are busy peeing their boardshorts). It simply is fun. In my mind I think I don't like it, I get beat up...but I look at pictures, and there I am with a cheese-eating grin plastered on my face. I say as long as they aren't powerturning in my cove, live and let live. If your girl wants to tube and it makes her happy, think of it as the price you pay to have her make you happy
Old     (westsiderippa)      Join Date: Dec 2006       08-23-2008, 9:29 AM Reply   
thats great bro, now just teach her to shoot some good pics from the tube and she can spend all day out there!!!!!! win win imo. your stoked!!
Old     (treycleaton)      Join Date: Mar 2005       08-23-2008, 9:34 AM Reply   
I felt the same way, but once you start having kids and hang out with families that also have kids, they will want to tube. I am not ashamed to pull a tube, after all, it is a TOWBOAT!
Old     (lfxstar)      Join Date: Jul 2001       08-23-2008, 9:45 AM Reply   
DUMP HER NOW
Old     (slob02)      Join Date: Mar 2004       08-23-2008, 9:46 AM Reply   
I wish I had all the gas $ tubers burn up on my lake.

(Message edited by slob02 on August 23, 2008)
Old     (joshugan)      Join Date: Apr 2005       08-23-2008, 9:49 AM Reply   
Tube haters haven't been on the right tubes with the right driver. Tubing can be crazy fun!!! I bagged on tubers for so long but it's a serious rush. Get you and a buddy or two on a big tube, hanging on for your lives as you're getting whipped around at 50mph straight towards a set of rollers . . . WOW!!! I'll still take wakeboarding but if the water gets too choppy, I'm still grinning ear to ear!!!!

But if you're at the lake to look cool, you might not like it.
Old     (dreamrider)      Join Date: Jul 2008       08-23-2008, 1:15 PM Reply   
I have to agree with josh. It can be serious fun when it gets to rough to board.
Old     (chaser)      Join Date: Sep 2006       08-23-2008, 1:16 PM Reply   
I hate the hassle of dragging a tube with you in the boat when at the lake for the day. Never bought one simply for that reason. If my kids tube, there are plenty of other friends of theirs with boats who have tubes. I guess it would be different if you lived on a lake though.
Old    sealyon.net            08-23-2008, 2:46 PM Reply   
I don't mind tubers, just the ones that come into the waterway here and mess up the only smooth place at the lake.??? why? Who knows.
Old     (dudeman)      Join Date: Mar 2005       08-23-2008, 6:11 PM Reply   
westsiderippa has the answer. Don't be mad, look at it from the view point that you have someone layin' down your steez on film. Tube shots rock.
Old     (phantom5815)      Join Date: Jul 2002       08-23-2008, 6:17 PM Reply   
When did wakeboarders become such prima donnas & snobs?
Old     (nsolis220)      Join Date: May 2007       08-23-2008, 6:21 PM Reply   
thats why you date before you get married to find out thier true colors now you can ditch her for a chick that shreds and it wont cost you half of what you got. what that means is early or late in the yr she wont want to go out on the boat. Cut ur losses now
Old     (dudeman)      Join Date: Mar 2005       08-23-2008, 6:30 PM Reply   
Darin, you can always hit up Phantom. Sounds like he's into the tube.
Old     (kottonm0uthking4)      Join Date: Apr 2007       08-23-2008, 6:43 PM Reply   
I tube when the water is crap. I also make sure that the drive stays in the chop. Its respect that gives any watersport a good vibe.
Old     (blake_hughes)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Weatherford, Texas       08-23-2008, 8:32 PM Reply   
Sorry to hear about that, but it's not that bad... She could've told you something A LOT worse!

SOME boaters really mess up my day while they're pulling their tubes. However, I do enjoying tubing (especially after someone has mustered up a little liquid courage)... But we make damn sure we're not destroying someone else's epic day of wakeboarding.

Speaking of which, my buddy (who knows nothing about wakeboarding) was pulling some tubers the other day and said, 'Watch this!' What I saw was amazing... He's mastered the double-up for tubing, and it's BRUTAL!

Here's a couple pics of 'terrible-tubing'... I'm wearing 2 life jackets... The orange ones make great neck braces.
Upload
Upload
Old     (sinkoumn)      Join Date: Jan 2007       08-23-2008, 9:17 PM Reply   
As long as she will make out with other chicks, it's mellow
Old     (nsolis220)      Join Date: May 2007       08-23-2008, 9:43 PM Reply   
good point sinko
Old     (phantom5815)      Join Date: Jul 2002       08-24-2008, 4:58 AM Reply   
Randy (dudeman) on Saturday, August 23, 2008 - 6:30 pm:
Darin, you can always hit up Phantom. Sounds like he's into the tube.

Sorry to burst your bubble -> Randy "Dudman" the Snobby Prima Donna Putz. You need a lesson in gender identity.

(Message edited by phantom5815 on August 24, 2008)
Old     (tahoeguy7)      Join Date: Sep 2006       08-24-2008, 8:45 AM Reply   
I used to ride tubes, but then I grew up and learned how to wakeboard. No rush that you get from tubing can compare with the rush of landing a new trick on your wakeboard.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       08-24-2008, 9:13 AM Reply   
Sweet pics
Old    jahgs06            08-24-2008, 11:33 AM Reply   
OK Darrin, I guess I should start manufacturing some sort of tube rack now for the boat!
Old     (dudeman)      Join Date: Mar 2005       08-24-2008, 12:06 PM Reply   
Hey Phantom, aka Mr. Bicoastal if that's what you call it now, no problem with my gender identity. Maybe it's time for a package check, 'eh dawg.
Old     (phantom5815)      Join Date: Jul 2002       08-24-2008, 2:05 PM Reply   
Randy "putzman" -I don't need "a package check" I know what my gender is.
With my goods, I can get all of the packages I want......moron.
Old     (dudeman)      Join Date: Mar 2005       08-24-2008, 2:12 PM Reply   
Kiss Kiss Phantom Kiss Kiss. I doubt it.
Old     (aliwake)      Join Date: Dec 2006       08-24-2008, 6:32 PM Reply   
hey, at least she's willing to go out on the boat with you.
Some girls can struggle with motivation when they're beginners - it can be frustrating when you're not learning anything new. Try teaching her some easy tricks like a surface 180 or something. If she gets proud and excited about her achievements she'll be back on the board in no time.
Old     (billhall)      Join Date: Jun 2006       08-24-2008, 6:43 PM Reply   
whiplash, bruises, nose bleeds, and banging heads together...some of my favorite things. No thanks, I'll stick to wakeboarding...although if it gets too choppy, I'll drive the boat if some of my family members want to tube. I truly do hate tubers though.

On a side note, if you whip your girlfriend into a turn on the tube and she flies off, there is always a chance she'll lose her top. Seen that happen plenty of times. Very Nice, I like!
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       08-24-2008, 10:25 PM Reply   
^^^^

and/or it will make her hate tubing at get back on the board
Old     (dirwoody)      Join Date: Apr 2003       08-25-2008, 12:12 PM Reply   
There are some very good points on this........and I feel the need to clarify....

1 - I hate tubers who destroy the only good water on the lake and have no idea they are doing it.
2 - Tubing can be fun, but see number 1

On that note, I do have to say there are some great ideas regarding having her shoot photos and such, which I am going to try and see if she'll do this weekend.

And Allice, I agree with trying to build her confidence. She's currently working on surface 1's and switch riding, but she's face planted a couple times which she really didn't like (duh). I was hoping her new helmet would help this, but she hasn't had a chance to try it out yet.

I'll keep everybody posted...
And Sweet Pics of the upside down tube!
Old     (escapade4k)      Join Date: May 2006       08-25-2008, 2:58 PM Reply   
Two words...trade up
Old     (trash4life)      Join Date: Jun 2005       08-25-2008, 3:06 PM Reply   
If you do it right you can fly on a tube as high as I can get on a wakeboard (yes, I don't get much air but..)
Check this out.
Upload
Old     (tp83)      Join Date: Nov 2007       08-25-2008, 5:19 PM Reply   
haha thats awesome. we went through 2 molecules before we wised up and under warrenty got 2 smaller ones for wars. if im spending all day on the lake and it gets choppy i'll tube but i know my leg will be hating me if some fat a** lands on it.
Old     (dizzyg)      Join Date: May 2005       08-26-2008, 11:47 AM Reply   
Darin, you're obviously not pulling her on the tube right! Before we were even dating my now wife ended up with a black eye from tubing #1. I still really have no sympathy for the event, "that's what happens when the person you're sharing a tube with pretends to yawn and gives the driver the finger"
Old     (krieg)      Join Date: Aug 2008       08-26-2008, 8:50 PM Reply   
I think if your girlfriend says she enjoys tubing you should leave her and join a convent devoted to wakeboarding. Devote yourself totally to the pursuit of wakeboarding and keep yourself pure for the sport at all costs. Life has nothing more to offer after all.
Old     (wakemikey)      Join Date: Mar 2008       08-27-2008, 5:50 AM Reply   
Just don't own a tube. Problem solved.
Old     (pearsonville)      Join Date: Feb 2002       08-27-2008, 9:03 AM Reply   
See if she has any hot girlfriends that like to wakeboard.
Problem solved.}
Old     (nickbot)      Join Date: Feb 2007       08-27-2008, 9:38 AM Reply   
tell her she has to tube topless...was that inappropriate???
Old     (speakersox)      Join Date: Sep 2004       08-27-2008, 12:26 PM Reply   
If she tubes topless, she may get two self-inflicted black eyes.
Old     (maleyb)      Join Date: Oct 2007       08-27-2008, 1:41 PM Reply   
girls are like cars, you can always trade them in for a newer model... and one that likes to wakeboard
Old     (downfortheride)      Join Date: Jun 2005 Location: SLC, UT 5600'       08-27-2008, 2:20 PM Reply   
This one is of my boy and he quite tubing for a little while. The end result is he hit the next roller head on and did a one and a half front flip to face slam. Pretty funny but good we were only going about 15 mph.

Upload
Old     (brettw)      Join Date: Jul 2007       08-27-2008, 4:29 PM Reply   
My wife has never really gotten into wakeboarding. She likes to ride our old skurfer instead and has said she wants to get more into water skiing vs. wakeboarding. I really don't care. I'm going to buy her a beginner ski this weekend at some Labor Day sale. Personally, I enjoy just about anything behind a boat. I recently took up the Sky Ski and am now torn between that and wakeboarding as my #1. I like to get on a ski every once in awhile. I'll jump on a kneeboard and occasionally a tube - which can be a blast. This morning I was out early and wakeboarded for the 1st run, hydrofoiled for the 2nd, and water skied for the 3rd.

It's all fun. I wish I had more time on the water to do it all.

I'd like to try that wakekite sometime. I've done a little kiteboarding, and think it'd be fun - just not sure about dropping a $1G to get one.

And yeah, and I hate tubers that foul up good water.
Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       08-28-2008, 4:00 PM Reply   
can she drive the boat?
this could redeem her.
Old     (kickflip_mj)      Join Date: Apr 2007       08-29-2008, 12:27 PM Reply   
Dude im not going to lie tubing is so much fun.. how can having a gf that likes to take wicked crashes be a bad thing??
Old     (kenteck)      Join Date: Jan 2005       08-29-2008, 2:23 PM Reply   
i like this one
Upload

or this one
Old     (04gravitygames)      Join Date: Jan 2006       08-29-2008, 3:02 PM Reply   
LMAO....^^^^thats gonna hurt
Old     (nsolis220)      Join Date: May 2007       08-29-2008, 3:22 PM Reply   
thats fake as hell. what threw the tube up like that?????
Old     (wakeslife)      Join Date: Jul 2005       08-29-2008, 3:53 PM Reply   
I'm pretty sure its real, and was during the age of the kite tube. I forgot about that thing!
Old     (04gravitygames)      Join Date: Jan 2006       08-29-2008, 4:07 PM Reply   
the kite tube was known for F'ing people up. that might not be real but it would be funny... I say real
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       08-29-2008, 11:47 PM Reply   
somewhere on youtube there is a vid of a guy getting tossed 30 ft or so in the air. also the video claimed the person died... maybe it has been removed... too lazy to look it up right now, but from what things i have seen, it is possible to toss someone that high as seen in the pic

just look up the "kite tube" on youtube