Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through December 20, 2006

Old     (rrbooker)      Join Date: Feb 2003       11-29-2006, 11:40 AM Reply   
Has anyone heard, or seen this hitch? If so any comments?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=005&sspagename=STRK%3AME WA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=150007950052&rd=1,1
Old     (surfnfury65)      Join Date: Aug 2004       11-29-2006, 11:48 AM Reply   
I have been told that that are safer then your standard hitch. Less likely to have a catastrophic failure. I don't have any technical data, that's just what I have been told. I have thought about getting one but they are a lot of $$.
Board More/Work Less!
J
Old     (rrbooker)      Join Date: Feb 2003       11-29-2006, 12:02 PM Reply   
I this one any better? How does the aluminum stand up?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Rapid-Hitch-Adjustable-10-Receiver-Drop-Rise-2-2-5-16_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33653QQihZ001QQitemZ 110061218128QQrdZ1
Old     (gwnkids)      Join Date: Nov 2003       11-29-2006, 5:31 PM Reply   
Ryan I have the perma lube ball. the system works very nice, I also tow with the 2-5/16 a lot and changing over takes 10 sec.
Old     (wetsounds1)      Join Date: Jan 2006       11-29-2006, 5:42 PM Reply   
If you just need a large drop and don't need an adjustable one.

Check out http://www.avengerstingerz.com/

I had them make a custom Iron Cross one for me. Super solid. Looks awesome too!

Upload

Upload

Upload

(Message edited by wetsounds1 on November 29, 2006)
Old     (rrbooker)      Join Date: Feb 2003       11-30-2006, 3:39 AM Reply   
If I went with a one piece hitch What would be the best all around drop? I'm going to be using it on a H2! I came up with 7"-8"! Does that sound about right?
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       11-30-2006, 3:54 AM Reply   
I would buy a drawbar from a hitch company like Reese, so I know it would be designed properly for LCF.
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       11-30-2006, 6:54 AM Reply   
Aluninum does not stand up. You're more likely to get rust i the receiver but the big problem is fatigue.
It is weaker after it's bent or scratched and has a real possibility of sudden failure in a situation where steel would show a crack or just be bent. At the very most you could only save 1/3 of the weight.
I really wouldn't go with an aluminum hitch.
Old     (rrbooker)      Join Date: Feb 2003       11-30-2006, 7:02 AM Reply   
Why do they have the Aluminum hitch rated for 20,000 pounds and the stand hitchs are only 5000-8000 pounds?
Old     (rrbooker)      Join Date: Feb 2003       11-30-2006, 7:10 AM Reply   
I'm sorry! I mean 10,000 not 20,000 but its still more?
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       11-30-2006, 1:04 PM Reply   
The only way they can make it stand up is to put in more metal. For the same initial strength Alum is about 2/3 the weight but it tends to work harden. It has more flex and is actually used in top drag motors for connecting rods because it acts as a shock absorber more than steel or titanium. However, it work hardens so they replace them after very few runs.
The bolts and ball also make a difference.
10,000 lb is a lot but you can get that in steel
Old     (san210nut)      Join Date: Sep 2006       11-30-2006, 1:49 PM Reply   
Art,
Just curious, where did you get your materials handbook from? Because it's wrong! Aluminium can be forged to both higher tensile and shear strength than some types of steel, specially the mild steel tube used commonly in making hitches. The Alumistinger is a solid piece of metal while the average steel hitch is tube steel that has a flat mild steel piece welded to it. In this case you are relying on the weld. With the Alumistinger there is no weld to rely on and the whole thing is solid. Don't get me wrong AL is not stronger than steel, but depending on the manufacturing process it can be stronger than some steel and is a great substitute in many cases. The connecting rods in my truck are aluminium, but the rod bolts are steel. You are correct that after it is bent it becomes weaker than a piece of similarly bent steel, but I would challenge you to bend an Alumistinger.

Just my two cents and more...

http://www.pickupspecialties.com/Hitches/Alumistinger_ball_mount.htm
Old     (san210nut)      Join Date: Sep 2006       11-30-2006, 2:07 PM Reply   
Aluminium connecting rods are used for less reciprocating and rotating mass due to their comparative lightness to steel. This allows the engine to accelerate quicker and make more power as it does so. Lighter rods also improve throttle response and allow the engine to run reliably at a higher rpm than it could with steel rods. One problem with aluminium rods is that the expansion rate of aluminium is faster than steel, so often the oiling around the pin goes all to hell when things heat up. Titanium rods are also used in racing applications and some street motors. Titanium is lighter than steel and has a lower tensile strength.

All in all it's the manufacturing process that matters. Look for a hitch with an SAE rating.
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       11-30-2006, 8:43 PM Reply   
You're right Red, if the hitch is solid and forged it's stronger than mild steel tubing, and heavier. I've built a variety of competition cars from the ground up so that's where my knowledge developed.
Old     (rrbooker)      Join Date: Feb 2003       12-01-2006, 5:47 AM Reply   
I went with this one!
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&viewitem=&item=160055221432
I'll let you now what i think when i get it!
Old     (trx1noob)      Join Date: Sep 2006       12-01-2006, 6:20 AM Reply   
sorry ryan, i should have seen this earlier. I was going to suggest this one. same thing, but has nylon alloy on the balls to prevent rust. i has one without and it looks terrible after using it a couple of times. the nylon barely looks used after using this hitch a bunch of times. not sure if you can send that one back, but to not have a rusty old looking balls is worth it. that sounded kinda dirty.lol
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/EXTRA-LONG-10-ALUMI-BALL-ADJUSTABLE-RAPID-HITCH_W0QQitemZ170055883805QQihZ007QQcategoryZ3365 3QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Old     (rrbooker)      Join Date: Feb 2003       12-01-2006, 6:47 AM Reply   
I was going to contact the manufacturer about replacement balls for the hitch I got, and see if the make a S.S. ball combo, or something like the nylon alloy balls! I won't be using the hitch everday, but i still use it atleast 4-5 times a year. I should be alright even if they don't have something like that!