Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (grkero)      Join Date: Dec 2010       01-03-2014, 2:08 PM Reply   
I am planning out an RGB LED setup. I ordered REV10 speaker rings in RGB, as well as 34 surface mount single RGB LEDs, and 2 20" RGB light bars for under gunnels.

What I cannot seem to figure out from searching is what is the best way to terminate all of this at the RGB controller? I bought the Wetsounds RGB controller (don't have it yet), but I am not certain on the output of it. I am assuming 12A, because that seems to be the norm of controllers in that price range. I have calculated out about 2A for my system that I have so that should be plenty of headroom.

I plan to put 2 LEDs in each cup holder (9 cupholders), 4 LEDs in each speaker grill (4 grills), 2 REV10 rings, and 2 20" bars. What I want to do is minimize the connections at the controller. So can I start connecting this stuff at the lighting locations first? For example, if I have 4 cupholders in one location, I want to take the wiring of all 4 cupholders, combine into one 4-conductor and run that to the RGB controller. Is this acceptable practice? Out of all the LEDs, I count about 10 stations where it would be nice to combine and send just one wire group to the controller at the helm. So I would have 10 connections at the controller.

Let me know how screwed up I have this so far... haha.
Old     (moto817)      Join Date: Jan 2011       01-03-2014, 2:40 PM Reply   
Its been a while but if I remember right I jumpered my RGB wiring from each of my four REV10's to a single RGB wire running to the controller and then the same for my cup holders (17) to a single RGB wire to the controller. So I only have 2 wires for each color and ground going too/ from each terminal on my controller.
Old     (Greeko)      Join Date: May 2013       01-06-2014, 9:44 AM Reply   
Hey man,

I used one of these to hook up to the WS RGB Controller:

http://www.amazon.com/niceEshop-Conn...+Strip%2FLight

Then I wired it to a terminal strip like this (2 total)

http://www.amazon.com/DUAL-BUS-COM-5...ywords=bus+bar

and distribute it throughout the boat. If you want to be sure you don't overload the WS RGB controller you can add an inline fuse to it.

I also have a spare RGB controller for sale if you are interested in splitting the load between all the lights.
Old     (grkero)      Join Date: Dec 2010       01-06-2014, 4:14 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greeko View Post
Hey man,

I used one of these to hook up to the WS RGB Controller:

http://www.amazon.com/niceEshop-Conn...+Strip%2FLight

Then I wired it to a terminal strip like this (2 total)

http://www.amazon.com/DUAL-BUS-COM-5...ywords=bus+bar

and distribute it throughout the boat. If you want to be sure you don't overload the WS RGB controller you can add an inline fuse to it.

I also have a spare RGB controller for sale if you are interested in splitting the load between all the lights.
I like your thinking. I am going to use the blue sea mini bus bars to connect all of the wires before they go to controller. I have rearranged my plan due to the brightness of these LEDs. I have trimmed my system down to 13 single surface mount LEDs, 2 REV10 rings, and 2 20" bars. I am banking on the single Wetsounds controller doing the job.
Old     (Greeko)      Join Date: May 2013       01-06-2014, 9:45 PM Reply   
Good luck man, run a small inline fuse to it just to make sure u don't overload it...don't want a $75 paperweight...