Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       04-03-2013, 9:48 AM Reply   
Hey Ww'ers. I am looking at getting a web based PM software package for project management and wondering if any of you guys are currently using them or have experience. We run typically 50-80 projects a month and would like a better system to keep track of all the details and handle scheduling and such. I have many systems in place now to handle these things, but looking to pull it all into one solution.
Old     (JayManAR)      Join Date: Dec 2012       04-03-2013, 10:09 AM Reply   
Clarity when used with Open Workbench is a pretty good tool. You can also integrate Clarity with Microsoft Project if that's your preference.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       04-03-2013, 10:48 AM Reply   
My brother-in-law has a company that makes PM software. Wish I could tell you more about it, but here's the web site.

www.nclarityinc.com
Old     (JayManAR)      Join Date: Dec 2012       04-03-2013, 12:24 PM Reply   
The Clarity that I'm referring to above is CA Clarity Project and Portfolio Management (PPM). The tool also has the ability to manage programs and portfolios, and works well in an enterprise environment. Might not be the best solution if using it on a smaller scale but worth looking into.
Old     (rukie)      Join Date: Jan 2006       04-04-2013, 1:30 PM Reply   
Buffalow- We too use multiple systems (Prolog/MS Project/Excel/etc). You might look into CMIC. Wife's company has been with CMIC for a while and it seems like a good turn key option. FYI- it is quite an investment. PM me or on FB if you want more info.
Old     (augie_09)      Join Date: Mar 2011       04-04-2013, 2:04 PM Reply   
one of my clients use Asana, another client uses JIRA and another uses Salesforce. Asana and Jira seem to really support a task/ticket based approach, great for iterative/lean/scrum based development, as those clients are doing software development. Salesforce was good for a process/waterfall approach, at least how that client has it configured since they do software implementations at customer sites (professional services).

after reading your post again, based on your volume, salesforce seems best of the 3 I've worked with. It handles large volume well and provides great reporting and data visualization on your projects. We still had to pair it with excel or the likes to really handle resource/employee scheduling across multiple projects. The department usually had 50 projects and each employee was working on 10 projects at a time, in teams of 4-6. Salesforce would allow you to quickly view the pipeline, see how many projects were in each phase, how long each phase was taking, predict bottle necks, like to many projects hitting design at the same time, etc.. It also assisted in the transition of sales projects to professional services projects.

Last edited by augie_09; 04-04-2013 at 2:10 PM.
Old     (dcdman67)      Join Date: Feb 2005       04-05-2013, 11:35 AM Reply   
I work for Salesforce and can chat with you if you want.

Here is a link to a free product management application that you can add to Salesforce. Should give you a good idea of what can be accomplished.

https://appexchange.salesforce.com/l...0000003ItrEEAS

Dan
Old     (joeblack3k)      Join Date: Apr 2013       04-08-2013, 1:57 AM Reply   
You can try RationalPlan. They have several products available so you can choose the version that best suits your needs.
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       04-08-2013, 7:35 AM Reply   
Thanx guys. Man there are a ton of them and many are crazy expensive. They can do a ton. Not spending next few weeks reviewing. Dan - Checking that link now
Old     (Michael)      Join Date: Mar 2010       04-10-2013, 10:45 AM Reply   
I was trained in college on P6 and liked it. My buddy works for webcor, and that is what he uses daily (scheduler for them). He also mentioned that a lot of companies run Prolog these days.
Old     (Hajime)      Join Date: Apr 2013       04-23-2013, 12:42 AM Reply   
Just an advice! I find data too much exposed if it is placed in a web server/software. That is why we use a desktop project management software called Latitude and had it placed inside our secured server. We use it for project planning, scheduling and monitoring. It has modules for timesheets, client-project tracking, gantt charts, tasks/subtasks, equipment, quotes, invoices and reports, which are linked with one another, making things easier to trace.