Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 01, 2004

Old    jeefy            06-24-2004, 8:54 AM Reply   
Please post up your opinions, experiences and even some pics of your bimini. Downsides? Lack of head room, hassle of putting up and down?

Thanks for your help!

Anybody from the Portland, OR area have any experience with Bently's Custom?

-Jeff
Old    yellowdog            06-24-2004, 9:04 AM Reply   
Jeff,

Bentley's does really nice work. They did all the seats, top, sides and back drop for my last boat (jet sled). However, they are a little expensive. I would check into Tony's Custom Tops in Tigard. He does great work and is very well priced. I am getting ready to have him make a bimini for my boat and he quoted something like $375 and that includes either Sunbrella or Top Gun material, stainless fittings and a storage boot. You can email me at Tyler.S.Moore@Marsh.com if you need his number.
Old    zboomer            06-24-2004, 9:26 AM Reply   
Life would suck in TX without Bimini tops. If I'm in the direct sun for a whole day, I'm dead tired by the evening. I feel a LOT better having a bimini to catch some shade in, especially during the middle of the day.

If you have a tower, a tower-mounted bimini rocks. While not in use it folds up into the tower, completely out of the way.
Old     (wakestar8878)      Join Date: Oct 2003       06-24-2004, 9:27 AM Reply   
Skin Cancer - Worth it?
Old     (patrick)      Join Date: Apr 2003       06-24-2004, 10:20 AM Reply   
If you have kids / family...it's very important, otherwise I'd still say yes. Relatively low cost, easy to put up and down quickly, gives others in the boat the option to get sun or get shade....
Old     (3puttwilson)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-24-2004, 11:03 AM Reply   
it's a must...It's nice to be able to get out of the sun if you want to.
Old     (jklein)      Join Date: May 2001       06-24-2004, 11:09 AM Reply   
If you have a tower, I would get a tower mounted top with no straps. If you have speakers or plan for speakers, either put them up on top of the tower, or make sure the bimini is low enough to accomodate them.

Push the width of the bimini as much as you can so you get good shade coverage.

They can be a hassle to get to your board racks somtimes, but well worth the benefits.
Old    jeefy            06-24-2004, 4:16 PM Reply   
Big thanks on all the feedback guys... Bimini top is ordered. :-)

-Jeff
Old     (bradb)      Join Date: Oct 2003       06-24-2004, 4:57 PM Reply   
Just another yes vote from the northwest. I've had a bimini since I've owned my boat (5years) but never used it until this year (it came with the boat). Now I never go out without it. I don't have a tower one, (no tower), but when I cover my boat up for the night I just undo the front two straps and it lays down on top of my engine box (direct drive). The cover goes right over top the whole thing.
I have another friend who made a mod to his bimini with snap on front and side windows that snap from the bimini to the winshield. It looks goofy as heck, but really keeps the heat from the heater in, and the wind off on those cool morning sets. Just another thought.
B
Old    yellowdog            06-25-2004, 8:32 AM Reply   
Jeff,

Who did you end up ordering it from, what material and how much?

Thanks
Tyler
Old    jeefy            06-25-2004, 12:51 PM Reply   
Tyler,

I went with Bently's even though they are a bit pricey (like you said). They came highly recommended and when I meet with them for consultation, I really liked what I saw and heard from them.

So, they are making me a custom fit bimini (fit to my tower) out of Sunbrella with telescoping frame legs and a storage cover. I really liked the idea of the telescoping legs, so when its open I can raise the height to increase the headroom. Then, when its stored, I can shorten the legs so it lines up with the top of my tower. Price is $575 installed. I'll try to remember to post pics of it when I get it.

-Jeff
Old    yellowdog            06-25-2004, 3:14 PM Reply   
Jeff,

Thats a much better price then I thought Bently's would do the top for. . . You won't be unhappy with their work. Like I said, they made the seats, top, side curtains and back drop for my North River and the workmanship was best in class!
Old    jeefy            07-06-2004, 3:17 PM Reply   
Guys,

Here are a few pics of the new bimini installed and we used it for the first time over the 4th... WOW! How incredibly nice it was to have acces to shade all day long while out on the river. I can't believe we didn't do this sooner.

So, thanks to all of you with your comments and suggestions.

-Jeff

Old    yellowdog            07-06-2004, 4:24 PM Reply   
Jeff,

The top looks great!!! Is that second photo taken at Billy Chinook?
Old    jeefy            07-06-2004, 5:42 PM Reply   
Both photos were taken at an undisclosed location somewhere on the Snake River. ;)