Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (Austinb23)      Join Date: Jul 2013       07-18-2013, 12:09 PM Reply   
So going to canyon lake this weekend and have not been there and wondering where to go and where not to go on that lake
Old     (natedogg)      Join Date: Aug 2011       07-18-2013, 12:35 PM Reply   
Depends if you are going to party and chill or trying to ride or both. Party cove is on the west side of the lake, if you put in at Comal park or turkey cove you would stay on the west shore of the lake and head north, after 3rd or 4th cove you pass, depending on which ramp you put in the water gets very clear light blue and that is where party cove is. For riding there is a nice cove with sandy beach shores on the east side of the lake by the restaurant marina that stays calm and the rollers dissipate fast. Also in the evenings I ride by the dam, because the shore has a tall bank that blocks the wind and the water is great after 7pm and before 10 am. Oh forgot to tell you if you go to the cove by the restaurant marina make sure you stay at least a 100 yds from the shore bc there are some stumps since the lake is low right now.
Old     (Austinb23)      Join Date: Jul 2013       07-18-2013, 12:58 PM Reply   
okay thanks for the info
Old     (petrie141)      Join Date: Jun 2012       07-18-2013, 1:13 PM Reply   
I've been there often (I grew up in New Braunfels and my parents still live there). We were there last weekend at Comal Park in fact. Comal Park only has one boat ramp open and no courtesy dock available. That means if you want to go to party cove, you'll have to beach your boat in the mud which I highly suggest you avoid. You might want to try Skyline Park/Canyon Dam. Although there is no beach or swim area, I'm 99% sure their ramp is open and they might have their courtesy dock still operating.

GET OUT THERE EARLY! We arrived at 7am and had a blast until about 10. It was smooth water and there was very little traffic (see pic below). After 10 it was okay, but if it gets too crowded you'll be toobing or going home early. If you want smooth water, stay in the coves for sure, just don't get too close to the islands as they're not always there and can be very shallow even when you're not right on top of them. I can't tell you which coves will be best because I don't know which way the winds will be blowing that day. We always go out there and just cruise until we find a nice spot.

I believe the restaurant Nate talked about is Baja BBQ Shack, I was there last weekend as well It's pretty good. Typical restaurant food with a pretty laid back atmosphere. They have slips just for their customers which is awesome.

Old     (DuckHuntin1)      Join Date: Jul 2013       07-22-2013, 6:58 PM Reply   
I ran the boat at Canyon this past weekend.
We put in at Jacobs Creek Park 6 bucks for truck and trailer to enter.
Free ramp closer to the end of the cove.
Yes get there early.
Awesome Lake and surrounding area.