Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (cheesydog)      Join Date: Mar 2009       07-24-2012, 1:50 AM Reply   
Saw some old Parks footage on the latest redbull episode, at 3:49 secs in right after the double whirly he throws a crazy trick Ive never seen. Anybody know what it is?

Ive re-watched it several times now, keeps blowing my mind

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnbOWlSI6xQ
Old     (TheHebrewHammer)      Join Date: Jun 2011       07-24-2012, 3:54 AM Reply   
TS backroll with an ole backside 540 maybe? No idea what to call that!
Old     (greg_smith)      Join Date: Sep 2006       07-24-2012, 4:15 AM Reply   
He's definitely out in the raley position, and spinning backside I believe. He leaves the wake toeside and lands on his toeside. At first I thought he was only spinning a 360, but now that I've watched it a few times, it looks like a full 720 rotation.

I would have to say it's a toeside double s-bend..... which I've never seen.
Old     (Kane)      Join Date: Mar 2010       07-24-2012, 4:26 AM Reply   
Big Worm 7?
Old     (brazosfreak05)      Join Date: May 2009       07-24-2012, 5:25 AM Reply   
Not a big worm 7 because he is spinning the other way. I almost started a thread yesterday after i watched this wanting to know the same question.
Old     (sippi)      Join Date: Dec 2007       07-24-2012, 5:50 AM Reply   
its like a reversed double s bend to me... never seen that before, it looks sick though.
Old     (bhyatt_ohp)      Join Date: Oct 2007       07-24-2012, 6:53 AM Reply   
essentially a toeside whirlybird. Toeside backroll, over the head backside 3.
Old     (tampawake)      Join Date: Mar 2008       07-24-2012, 6:48 AM Reply   
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oyqtCRyKYUM

Love the oldschool here is some stuff from 01 behind a DD
Old     (stang_killa_ss)      Join Date: Jan 2010       07-24-2012, 7:08 AM Reply   
what lake is that? i ALWAYS see parks vids shot there and always wanted to ride it.

does anyone know?
Old     (migs)      Join Date: Aug 2006 Location: SF Bay Area       07-24-2012, 8:04 AM Reply   
thats from the vid 6 Pack
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       07-24-2012, 8:19 AM Reply   
Parks was doing things back then that most people still can't do today. He was a decade ahead of his time.
Old     (petrie141)      Join Date: Jun 2012       07-24-2012, 8:25 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarrod View Post
Parks was doing things back then that most people still can't do today. He was a decade ahead of his time.
That double tantrum came into mind when I read your post. I know it was on a doubleup, but still him and Shapiro were throwing doubles before some of these new guys were probably out of diapers!
Old     (TheHebrewHammer)      Join Date: Jun 2011       07-24-2012, 9:14 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by petrie141 View Post
That double tantrum came into mind when I read your post.
Don't forget the double whirly! Nobody else is doing that.
Old     (ToPHeR35)      Join Date: Jul 2011       07-24-2012, 11:33 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarrod View Post
This!
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       07-24-2012, 8:34 AM Reply   
That was a great video. And the water in that lake looked crazy clear.
Old     (gnarslayer)      Join Date: Sep 2008       07-24-2012, 9:32 AM Reply   
blind ole pete lol nuts
Old     (juniorhawk)      Join Date: Jul 2004 Location: New England       07-24-2012, 11:29 AM Reply   
Good God, I love the old Parks footage. Wow. That looks like something I'd do in a dream or a videogame.
Old     (Kane)      Join Date: Mar 2010       07-24-2012, 12:13 PM Reply   
Can anyone ask Parks?
After all he gets to name it.
Old     (captain_vilfo)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-24-2012, 7:15 PM Reply   
what an amazing video, I swear I watched the old footage section at least 20x...

Old Parks will always be my favorite rider to watch. Not only did he have the most technical tricks, but he also took them super large and had a style that I have yet to see any other match.
Old     (nautiqu13)      Join Date: Dec 2000       07-25-2012, 1:10 AM Reply   
That is 100% a two-handed toeside whirly off the doubleup!
Old     (lachieb)      Join Date: Apr 2009       07-25-2012, 3:22 AM Reply   
i think its called a diesel...
Old     (greg_smith)      Join Date: Sep 2006       07-25-2012, 4:44 AM Reply   
A diesel is done with a frontside 360. I can't really see calling this a toeside whirly either since there is no such thing as a toeside tantrum.

If you look at the photo, it really looks like an s-bend. I guess you could make the argument that it's an ole blind pete but... he's really not inverted.
Attached Images

Old     (greg_smith)      Join Date: Sep 2006       07-25-2012, 4:46 AM Reply   
Here is someone doing a toeside double s-bend on the cable. To me, this looks pretty similar to what parks is doing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZK2Xnt0E_ec
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       07-25-2012, 7:31 AM Reply   
I'm calling it a TS double s bend, SICK.

And that double up dub tantrum, I bet that original direct drive x star has less than 1500lbs in it, double up or not, I bet that dub is only as big as a slammed G or new x star...
Old     (txwakerider14)      Join Date: Apr 2010       07-25-2012, 9:03 AM Reply   
It's not a TS S-bend, Parks is spinning BS ole in his trick, the video of the TS S-bend in a FS ole spin, watch closely they are two completly different tricks. My best guess is that it is a TS double Hintenberger looks a lot like this , just TS instead of HS
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       07-25-2012, 9:41 AM Reply   
A heelside s bend is a backside rotation...

Just watched that indoor vid, parks was ts bs, like a ts s bend, that was a hs fs, and the first part of the indoor video looks like the beginning of a hs roll on the cable then he keeps ole'ing to 9...

Last edited by wakebordr11; 07-25-2012 at 9:44 AM. Reason: video
Old     (txwakerider14)      Join Date: Apr 2010       07-25-2012, 9:59 AM Reply   
Yes a Heelside S bend is a BS rotation, but a TS S-bend is not. You cant spin TS BS and land opening you chest up to the water or land blind wrapped for that fact like he tried at the end of the video. Watch the TS SBend video again, the spin is a TS FS spin, which looks very similar to how HS BS spin looks. Think about a HS BS 7 and TS FS 9, the last 180 looks the same. Same thing with a TS BS 7 and a HS FS 9. The indoor video is of a trick called a double Hintenberger which a HS backroll with an ole fs 9 like you said. The video of parks is TS backroll with and ole bs 7.
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       07-25-2012, 10:40 AM Reply   
Agree to disagree sir, we'll have to get parks to comment on exactly what happened.

I understand how spins work, just because a hs s bend is backside doesn't mean you reverse the spin to fs when you go at it toeside. A toeside backroll is not the reverse roll of a hs backroll. Parks was stretched out overhead like a raley trick, it looked like an s bend. I can see what you're saying about the roll part too, huh who knows...

Fact of the matter is, we're arguing about all this hoopla. Parks did a trick that nobody else has seen before, thats cool. Did you also notice during that trick that when he does the first 180 his shoulders are facing down and his hips are still facing up? Can you say holy flexibility and 'whippin it' batman?
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       07-25-2012, 10:43 AM Reply   
Just to comment brian, yes you can spin ts bs and land opening your chest to the water... your chest is open to the water on a hs 5 and its the same with a ts bs 7...

I slightly agree with the backroll dissertation in that his landing is akin to him landing a switch roll to revert...
Old     (txwakerider14)      Join Date: Apr 2010       07-25-2012, 11:18 AM Reply   
Every HS fs 5 I have ever seen the landing ends with chest closing and you back is towards the water??? Maybe we are confusing by what I mean by opening to the water. I meant it as opening towards the water in the direction you are traveling. So in a hs 5 lands with your back towards the boat and ts fs 5 ends with your chest towards the boat.
Old     (greg_smith)      Join Date: Sep 2006       07-26-2012, 4:08 AM Reply   
Hmmmm, ya I just watched the video of the cable rider doing the double TS sbend again. Brian is right, he is spinning it frontside. So... maybe toeside s-bends are frontside, and toeside hintenbergers are backside.... I really don't know. To me it makes more sense to name these toeside raley tricks the same way they are named heelside, like wakebordr11 said. But anyways, regardless of how they're named, I still think his body is way too laid out to call this a ole blind pete. His hips are way out behind him, rather than above him. Remember that a toeside backroll is a straight backflip. I dont see any backflipping motion here. Just my opinion though!!

Parks was doing this types of tricks on wakes that were half as big as they are today. People still trying to catch up to what he accomplished.
Old     (juniorhawk)      Join Date: Jul 2004 Location: New England       07-26-2012, 5:39 AM Reply   
I thought it was a toeside double s-bend too. But I think with this trick it has less to do with what trick it is, and more with Parks doing something crazy and rare - just becasue he can. The part that makes you go cross-eyed and wonder what you're seeing is because at the last 1/4 of the trick he takes his hand off the handle and the board whips through about 270 degrees - and does so lightning fast. Parks comfort on the water is just cray. I don't know if there's a better technical rider like that. He and Murray alone just constantly show us that they spend hours and hours on the water getting to a comfort level like that. It's a really awesome trick. Even better because none of us really know what it is.

Last edited by juniorhawk; 07-26-2012 at 5:44 AM.
Old     (Orange)      Join Date: Jun 2012       07-26-2012, 6:15 AM Reply   
So what's the deal with Parks - what happened to him and why doesn't he dominate today? Is it injuries or did he really just decide he'd rather just have fun and party? Did it just come too easy for him and he never felt like he had real competition?

I've seen recent video of him and he's still got amazing stuff. I can only imagine what he could still do today (even after all the injuries) if he dropped 30 lbs and kept himself in shape... Or imagine the younger man from the trick you all are struggling to name with today's wakes.
Old     (juniorhawk)      Join Date: Jul 2004 Location: New England       07-26-2012, 8:06 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange View Post
So what's the deal with Parks - what happened to him and why doesn't he dominate today? Is it injuries or did he really just decide he'd rather just have fun and party? Did it just come too easy for him and he never felt like he had real competition?

I've seen recent video of him and he's still got amazing stuff. I can only imagine what he could still do today (even after all the injuries) if he dropped 30 lbs and kept himself in shape... Or imagine the younger man from the trick you all are struggling to name with today's wakes.
Even at his current weight and shape and even post injury he still does double inverts behind the boat. In fact he is a pioneer, STILL, in that regard. Any GOAT discussions must require his name. I have always been a fan.

GOAT'ers: Top 5
Scott Byerly
Parks Bonifay
Greg Nelson
Shawn Murray
Harley Clifford
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       07-26-2012, 11:38 AM Reply   
^ Shapiro in his hay-day
Vandall (still dominates)
I'm not ready to give Harley the GOAT title, he's definitely sick but of all time?? Let's see what this kid accomplishes and what everyone else accomplishes in 5 years, yea he got w2w 10s and dub tantrums, but that stuff has all been done 10 years ago on double ups smaller than his standard day to day wake... Ive got a ton of respect for him, he's a wake freak but lets see where he's at when he's 30... or more like murray and nunn who still throw down.
Old     (bigpapaf1f)      Join Date: May 2005       07-26-2012, 1:39 PM Reply   
A S-bend is a raley with a backside over head 3. Hs or ts for it to be a s-bend that's what it is. It doesn't matter what cable kids call a ts s-bend. If its not bs it's not a s-bend! Backside is still backside heel or toe.

I have always seen the Parks trick as a ts whirly. A tany and ts backroll are the same rotation. Whirlys are out the back as you are spinning. That's what parks does here. He doesn't start with a raley then spin bs like a s-bend. He starts like a ts backroll. It doesnt matter Parks was a freak back then. He did all of this on a board thats shape was even out dated then, and a wake that the dubs are smaller than the wakes are now.
Old     (bigpapaf1f)      Join Date: May 2005       07-26-2012, 1:44 PM Reply   
Just watched it in slowmo, it could be a ts s-bend. Haha
Old     (migs)      Join Date: Aug 2006 Location: SF Bay Area       07-26-2012, 1:59 PM Reply   
Parks GOAT
Harley - en route
Old     (501s)      Join Date: Feb 2010       07-26-2012, 2:17 PM Reply   
Looks like a TS double S-Bend to me .....
Old     (Kane)      Join Date: Mar 2010       07-27-2012, 12:53 AM Reply   
I think Brian is correct, TS double hintenberger
Old     (cheesydog)      Join Date: Mar 2009       07-27-2012, 1:52 AM Reply   
ha ha this is making me go cross eyed.. I do agree with Brian tho, I think out of everything, it most resembles a double hinterberger, so yeh Im calling TS double hinter. Unbelievable
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       07-27-2012, 4:39 AM Reply   
The hinterberger was frontside... this is backside, just because it's toeside doesn't change the way you rotate. I'm with kong on this one from the start, not to mention parks would not name a trick the hinterberger anyways.