Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through November 17, 2003

Old     (puckinshat)      Join Date: Sep 2003       11-02-2003, 9:41 PM Reply   
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=31270&item=2439763 349
Take a look at this. Is that some sort of tub for holding water on the bottom of his swim deck. If you can tell me what it is, im curious to know.
Old     (andrew_moreton)      Join Date: Feb 2003       11-02-2003, 9:48 PM Reply   
I have seen Overton's sell these for the last couple of years, though I don't know exactly the name of the product. I think it came out about the same time as fat sacks and was supposed to weight down the back of the boat the same as a fat sack without having the sack taking up room in the boat. I have never been behind a boat with one, so I don't know if it works or not.
Old    chadellt85            11-02-2003, 11:07 PM Reply   
I believe that they are called wake tanks. The advantage of these things are that while the boat is at rest, the water will not be sinking the boat. I also heard that the weight is multiplied because the weight is behind stern of the boat. leverage or something
Old     (mastercraft7100)      Join Date: Jul 2002       11-03-2003, 8:38 AM Reply   
I think it's a good idea
Old     (rock_n_boardin)      Join Date: May 2003       11-03-2003, 10:16 AM Reply   
I wonder how the leverage works on the mounting points, seems like it would put a pretty big strain there with all that weight. Now if they made it an ice chest, you could load it up with ice and soft drinks "beer" LOL and get weight plus a cooler that is out of the way, wow.
Old     (rodmcinnis)      Join Date: Sep 2002       11-03-2003, 11:15 AM Reply   
The strain on the platform mountings probably wouldn't be much more than if you had a couple of guys standing on the platform. I would think it would be more of an issue when you wanted to have the tanks empty, as it would be providing floatation and holding the back of the boat UP from the platform, which is a load that it wasn't designed for.
Old    veganx            11-03-2003, 3:19 PM Reply   
I've ridden behind that same hull with a wake tank. They work better than I expected, but you'll still want to add a little weight in the boat.
Old     (rock_n_boardin)      Join Date: May 2003       11-03-2003, 3:35 PM Reply   
Yeah true, and I guess if you had people standing on the platform with them full, it would not matter because the tank would be in the water.
Old     (puckinshat)      Join Date: Sep 2003       11-03-2003, 3:38 PM Reply   
Where would you get one of these and how much? I have a fat seat in my MC 205 and am going to buy a tube sac for the locker and a lounge from flyhigh for the open bow, like 2200 lbs total, am I nuts? And we got 2" of snow today, I wanted to cry.
Old    tige_joe            11-04-2003, 10:00 AM Reply   
Sounds like a better idea than using a Wedge. Probably a whole lot less stress on the transom, and nothing to strike a submerged object.
Old    osterhousetaz            11-05-2003, 3:25 PM Reply   
it's a wake tank - i was told it holds 400lbs and acts as 800lbs when the boats in motion.
Old     (mac_attack)      Join Date: Oct 2003       11-05-2003, 9:43 PM Reply   
seems like a bunch of weight to load up on the platform.

Joe Shmoe what's so funny about that?
Old     (kylek306)      Join Date: Feb 2003       11-06-2003, 7:35 PM Reply   
Anybody ever heard of an Elan? They make a wakeboard boat that uses a similar platform, but also pumps water straight into the hull for the ballast!! I tried one last year....It threw a HUGE wake. I still don't know how that boat didn't just fall apart.
Old     (puckinshat)      Join Date: Sep 2003       11-07-2003, 9:28 AM Reply   
I did a search on Elan and they are what is previously known as American Skier. They broadened their production to wakeboats and have apretty nice one if I may say. They do take full advantage of ballast on the swim deck. A good place for it if you ask me, more room in the boat.