Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through November 30, 2004

Old     (clubmyke)      Join Date: Aug 2004       11-03-2004, 7:47 PM Reply   
looking at oneill drysuits.. the boost, fluid, or assult hybrid...

any suggestions on which one ?

thanks,

mike
Old    wakeboarder408            11-03-2004, 10:25 PM Reply   
Mike, I just bought a Bare Ultra from Grizzly Sports for waaayy less than what the O'neill Boost would cost me. I got 2(1 for my friend) and it was $240/each and that was including shipping. From how much water i saw on my co worker's sweatshirt when he wore his Boost, Im glad i got the Bare Ultra cuz im completely dry from top to bottom.
Old    akman            11-04-2004, 5:32 AM Reply   
Clubmyke, you are in San Diego so there are some advantages to the O'Neill.....if you have a problem with it just take it back to Wakesports and Tyler will take care of you very fast. I gave him mine to repair some seals, HE GAVE ME ONE OFF THE RACK TO USE WHILE MINE WAS AT O'NEILL for a few days and the repairs were cheap $45 to replace wrist and ankle seals. The O'Neill repairs are done locally in National City so it's fast.

If you go thru an online service you will have to pay to send it back, pay for the repairs, and be out the suit if you need it.

They all leak don't let people fool you into thinking they don't. It depends on how big you are, how big your neck, wrist and ankles are. I have friends with the bare and they leak so people who say "this suit never leaks" might just have that perfect fit or never fall hard.

For me being able to take it somewhere when something goes wrong is a big PLUS, I don't want to haggle over the phone, deal with sending it here or there and at the same time I support my local board shop who in turn gives me a break on pricing, service, and takes care of me by letting me use a BRAND NEW suit while mine is in for repairs.

Try that with an on-line service.......

My buddies is in Canada right now being repaired.....what if there is a problem with the repair and it isn't glued right........back to Canada again.....

$240 is a smoking deal for sure but was it a 2003, 2004 or 2005 suit? You bought 2 so he gave you a break but still a great deal.

Do yourself a favor and go see Tyler and the guys at WAKESPORTS UNLIMITED you can't go wrong and he will take care of you. 858-277-5757
Old     (sbt3)      Join Date: Jun 2002       11-04-2004, 1:36 PM Reply   
I have a Boost and like the suit alot. Ocasionally I will get a little water in but that is only if I take a bad header into the water. From a comfort and getting in and out standpoint it is great. I would highly recommend it. I have some other friends who have the Barefoot international drysuits and they are nice too. They aren't quite as easy to get in and out of and aren't as comfortable when you are in them but the are very nice as well. I am not sure what the other suits are that you mentioned so I can't comment on those.
Old     (big_poppa_pump)      Join Date: Apr 2002       11-04-2004, 3:05 PM Reply   
The Bare is a quality suit and they are the toughest material I've seen out there.

The O'Neils are ok, but most folks I know that have them usually are pretty soggy after a run.

I have a BF2000 from Barts that is probably the driest suit around. I don't use the ankle straps, but the wrist straps help keep out a lot of water.
Its not nearly as thick as the Bare though, so I doubt my BF2000 will last as long as my wifes Bare.
Old    wakeboarder408            11-04-2004, 4:22 PM Reply   
Btw, if you buy just 1 Bare Ultra at Grizzly Sports it would be $250, maybe $5 more depending where you're from. Im from Cali and the store is in Wash. And i have taken a few hard face plants and head dives and im still completely dry. In case you want the # to Grizzly, its 1-866-444-2327 and ask for RV.
Old     (lchamaschuk)      Join Date: Feb 2002       11-04-2004, 4:42 PM Reply   
?Pretty soggy after a run? Not sure what you're talking about. I have a Boost as well, and I prefer it over the Bare's. IMO, the Bare's aren't as good a quality as the O'Neills.
Old    wakeboarder408            11-04-2004, 5:46 PM Reply   
Lucky, im not sure which quality is better but would you rather get the Boost for $379 plus shipping or the Bare Ultra for $240 including shipping? I got the Bare cuz it save me over $140 and it does its job, which is keeping me warm and dry.
Old    akman            11-04-2004, 6:02 PM Reply   
Wakesports Unlimited $299

Like I said let's see Grizzly give you a suit while they repair yours if you have a problem.

I would rather pay the 3 bills, support my local shop so when I need a favor they give me the "NO PROBLEM BRO DEAL" and take care of me.

Last season took my suit in on a Monday, got it back the following Monday and used a new suit over the weekend as part of great customer service.
Old    waterdog2            11-04-2004, 6:15 PM Reply   
southern california watersports carries the bare, they are right off the 215 and murieata hotsprings road. 951-304-3434
Old     (larry6)      Join Date: Oct 2002       11-04-2004, 7:13 PM Reply   
I have both and to be honest the only time I have gotten wet in the O’Neil is do to the neck seal rolling down on me a little before I fall. This doesn’t mean I am soaked just gets a little wet around the neck. I need to have mine cut back a little to prevent this from happening but haven’t had the time to do so. The Bare that I have is a great suit as well I cant nock it at all accept with the boost I have the ability to wear just about anything under it compared to the Bare. The Bare suit is like a boost up top and like a wet suit neoprene down below so it is tighter around the legs thus i have to were shorts. I would go with what Gramps says do to the fact it is convenient.
Hope this helps.
Old    wakeboarder408            11-04-2004, 7:34 PM Reply   
Gramps, not every local shop does that for every one in every city. Makes me wonder how much time and money you've spent in there to get that service. I know the local shops around here wont do that. But if they're that cool to everyone, then i'd probably do it too.
Old    akman            11-04-2004, 8:00 PM Reply   
Mark V, I spend some time and some cash there but not nearly as much as you think. I rode the same board for 3 years, same drysuit for 3 years, same rope for 2 years.

Tyler and the guys treat everyone the same, they want REPEAT business and the way to get it is to provide GREAT customer service.

My buddies all bought their bindings on-line, they have had many problems with them breaking, they take them to Tyler and what does he say??

No problem I can fix them right now.....he doesn't say "not my problem bro, you shouldn't have bought them on-line"

He has repaired their bindings over and over no charge and no questions asked, they are also the only shop in town so he could turn them away but he doesn't.

I broke an old 2001 Premier this year and guess what.......Tyler sent it back and got me a 2004 board NO QUESTIONS under warranty.

I agree not every shop will treat you like that but Tyler and the guys at Wakesports do, so guess what....I buy from them with the knowledge and comfort that if I have a problem he will fix it or make me happy.

The shop is hands down the best place to hang out, spend a few bucks and buy gear, they treat customers great and have fun doing it.

It's all good buy from the place that you feel comfortable with, I just think if you support the local shop from time to time and send them business thru your friends they will take care of you in the end....just my .02
Old    wakeboarder408            11-04-2004, 9:08 PM Reply   
Gramps, nothing against the place you get your stuff at. That's good that they treat their customers that way. I wish more places around here are like that. And nothing against the Boost suit. I think it's an awesome suit, just a little pricey for me so i went with Bare. No hard feelings.
Old    akman            11-05-2004, 5:21 AM Reply   
Mark V, No hard feelings at all, believe me if the local shop sucked I would be on-line in a heartbeat.

The boating industry in general needs to treat all of us a little better with the money everyone is spending these days.

Have a good one
Old     (lchamaschuk)      Join Date: Feb 2002       11-05-2004, 8:26 AM Reply   
Mark V,

I'd rather put out a few more dollars for better quality. I've learned that if I get something cheaper, I end up buying something better in the long run anyway.

If you're happy with the Bare, that's great.
Old     (superairdawg)      Join Date: May 2003       11-05-2004, 11:35 AM Reply   
I think this thread has strayed a bit from whether folks have an opinion on the O'Neill drysuits to brand bickering.

As to the original question on the O'Neill suits, I'd personally opt for the O'Neill Boost, which is a baggy design. Easier to layer for warmth underneath plus the baggy's seem more flexible to me. And isn't the Fluid a 3/4 wetsuit?
Old     (clubmyke)      Join Date: Aug 2004       11-06-2004, 12:08 AM Reply   
joe,

thanks for the insight... the fluid is a full neo, and the assult hybrid is a 1/2 baggy on top and 1/2 neo on bottom, and the boost is full baggy.

i am going to try on the boost and the hybrid again and check for leg flex ability..

thanks again...

mike

(Message edited by clubmyke on November 06, 2004)
Old    coach            11-14-2004, 8:18 PM Reply   
Tyler at wakesports is great and very Good to his customers. Def worth the money.
Old     (clubmyke)      Join Date: Aug 2004       11-14-2004, 9:11 PM Reply   
Just as a follow-up.

i went with the boost from tyler @ wakesports....

here is a little run down on the pro and cons of each...please keep in mind i havent tried them in the water...

fittings/openings
assult has very comfortable fittings ( key benefit of the suit)
boost are a little tighter (suit needs to be "burped")

comfort/movement
assult is very flexible, there is a little restriction in the legs
boost is totally flexible and free moving ( key point). this one has suspenders

in/out changing
boost wins hands down (this was important to me)
assult is a little hard to get of around the ankles

wearing under warm under clothes comfort
boost- can wear anything underneath, legs and chest
assult- the assult transitons right above the mid belly and would be difficult to wear anything less than a thin shirt because it would get bunched up and pushed into the chest.however, i dont know if a upper undergarment is needed....however with the legs there is no requirement of long johns ( the use of upper body clothing was concern with this, it would be difficult to use anything thicker than a short tee shirt)

Durability
Boost- was told have to get the seals redone every 2 years, 3 years if i am really take care of the suit
Assult- long term durability is better

hope that helps..thanks everyone with their input.

mike

(Message edited by clubmyke on November 14, 2004)
Old     (lchamaschuk)      Join Date: Feb 2002       11-15-2004, 8:36 AM Reply   
Great choice Mike!

I've had my Boost for two seasons now, and I wasn't told to redo the seals. I take care of the suit by spraying the neck and leg seals with this spray they gave me, and lubricate the zipper. I would only redo the seals if and when it becomes necessary.
Old     (kenv)      Join Date: May 2002       11-17-2004, 10:51 PM Reply   
Just a quick question regarding the Boost or any other dry suit. Do any of you wear CGA life vests under or over the dry suits? Will the Boost float me without any vest if I get knocked out while boarding? Does it have flotation? I am getting one soon and just thought about this last night. I always ride with a vest and am just curious.

Thanks,

Ken
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       11-17-2004, 11:08 PM Reply   
1. wear your vest under the suit.
2. the suit will float you but don't rely on it to save you from drowning.
3. no, it doesn't have floation attached to it. it floats you because of air trapped in the suit when you have it on.
Old     (kenv)      Join Date: May 2002       11-18-2004, 6:00 AM Reply   
Thanks Joe.
I searched a couple of other discussions and found most of the answers. Thanks for being so quick on the reply. Now it's time to go shopping
Ken
Old     (mango)      Join Date: Mar 2004       11-19-2004, 5:33 AM Reply   
I never wear a vest when i'm wearing my o'neill boost suit...it works as a flotation device and it would be too bulky. Overall I'm happy with the vest but it's kinda pricy
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       11-19-2004, 9:06 AM Reply   
"I would rather pay the 3 bills, support my local shop so when I need a favor they give me the "NO PROBLEM BRO DEAL" and take care of me."

yep

Mango, if you blow a seal on your suit or it rips for any reason, and it takes on water, you could be screwed.