Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through March 18, 2009

Old     (2manytoys)      Join Date: May 2007       06-07-2008, 4:27 PM Reply   
I am at the lake now...04 x-2.. boat won't turn off with the key. It will crank but won't turn off at the ignition or the safety lanyard. Having to pull coil wire to kill motor. All input appreciated.
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       06-07-2008, 5:52 PM Reply   
The boat's getting power from a second source. Maybe a loop to the stereo or a second battery if you have one. You can track it down with a test light or voltmeter.
Old     (2manytoys)      Join Date: May 2007       06-07-2008, 6:03 PM Reply   
Single battery, stereo amp hooked directly to battery. Do I need to disconnect amp. Was working fine. Then just all of a sudden it wouldn't turn off with the key. You can take it out and pull the lanyard off and it still runs. Gauges turn off,
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       06-07-2008, 7:24 PM Reply   
Try disconnecting power for the amp. It's going to be something wierd.
If you can get a voltmeter you will find power going to the ignition from somewhere. Start at the coil and try to follow it backward. It should be on even if the boat is off. If it's not on when the boat engine is not running then the problem might be from the alternator self generating the field wires and then powering the system so the key does not affect the ignition. There is a small plug in the back of the alternator that powers the field wires.
Old     (2manytoys)      Join Date: May 2007       06-07-2008, 8:34 PM Reply   
If I pull the plug from the alternator the engine would still run off the battery power. But if what you described is the problem the ignition should work to cut it off correct.
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       06-07-2008, 10:20 PM Reply   
Yes. But fixing it past that is tougher.
Old     (2manytoys)      Join Date: May 2007       06-08-2008, 6:08 AM Reply   
Thanks Art. I appreciate the help and ideas.I will try those today. At least it still cranks so the weekend isn't totally ruined. Knock on wood.
Old     (2manytoys)      Join Date: May 2007       06-09-2008, 6:06 PM Reply   
I called two different MC dealers today and described my problem.. Neither one of them had a clue.. wanted me to bring it in and spend gobs of money chasing the problem...Got the boat home today and cranked it.. wouldn't turn off with the key, took Art's advice and pulled the two wire connector on the back of the alternator.. and wallah !!! it turned off with the key.. I want to publicly thank Art for replying to my tread and wish this message board had rep points like some others do.. because he surely deserves it..