Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (mattscraft)      Join Date: May 2009       08-01-2012, 6:43 AM Reply   
Last Saturday we had a T-Bone accident in my brand new 2012 VW Touareg TDI. I just got the vehicle 10 days before. Fiancé & I and I walked away, my shoulders and neck are really sore and Susan has a little cut on the forehead and sore chest from the air bag impact.

Here is what happened if you care to read on. This is a stretch of road that is winding and down hill, 4 lanes wide "active" We were in the left lane headed south, apparently the Mustang was coming up the hill North at a high rate of speed "Drunk" and clipped the Lexis in the rear driver side bumper sending him left of center directly into us, our impact sent him into the right south bound lane and into another car. Both the Mustang and Impala drivers had to be cut out of the cars. All I remeber is talking to Susan and a split second I see the green Mustang, and the guys look of horror and "Bam" I never touched the brake. I just remember saying What the "F", never got the F word out. I am a huge Indy fan and do remember instinctively taking my hands off the wheel just before impact as the race drivers do. As I think it through, pretty sure he must have been racing another car, why else would he swerve left of center??? Not sure only got to talk to the Lexis driver briefly.

The Touareg is a beast, I will be getting another one, the car did not move from the lane at impact. Automatically, it cut the engine, put on the emergency brake, put all 4 windows down about 2" and turned on the emergency flashers. Still cannot believe we walked away. Susan was taken to the hospital for a chest X-ray as a precaution but is OK. The Mustang did not fair to well. The officer did tell me he was cited, was in the hospital and unconscious, That's all the details I have at this point, no idea if he has Insurance.

We leave for Norris on Thursday, this was going to be the first real test of the Touareg on a long trip, guess I will be renting a Truck for the trip. Also, thank goodness I was not towing the boat, as this route is our typical way a,most every weekend...
Attached Images

Old    LR3w8kbrdr            08-01-2012, 6:56 AM Reply   
Wow...glad to hear you're ok!! Great to hear how well the german engineering of the VW helped save your lives. Have fun at Norris
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       08-01-2012, 7:03 AM Reply   
Damn! Glad you are ok'ish. I know a good lawyer if you need one...
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       08-01-2012, 7:04 AM Reply   
The mustang owner was obviously distracted by the fuzzy dice hanging from his rearview.
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            08-01-2012, 7:12 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by chattwake View Post
Damn! Glad you are ok'ish. I know a good lawyer if you need one...
Chatt needs to pay for his 2013 boat lol
Old     (mattscraft)      Join Date: May 2009       08-01-2012, 7:35 AM Reply   
Chatt - Possibly, day 4 and my neck is not any better, actually worse from the whip lash. This was a 40mph impact on my part, no idea how fast he was going, my guess is better than 50mph, based on the distance from the Lexus he clipped and where my T-Reg, (now I am calling it a T-Rex) hit him.

Pretty pissed off with Cincinnati police, can't get me a report until 7 - 10days, ridiculous, I want to make sure this idiot never gets behind the wheel of a car legally. :bang head:

Dealer has a new one waiting for me, just waiting on the adjuster to total it out, 99.9% sure on that end.

Normally, we would have taken my EOS with the top down on a nice summer evening, but to T-Rex to show my brother. I am pretty certain the EOS while a great car, would not have faired as well. It will be for sale soon, probably get a Passat or CC, just don't feel safe driving in a small sports car now, heck don't even really feel safe driving at all.
Old     (crosenhahn)      Join Date: Feb 2008       08-01-2012, 7:37 AM Reply   
Glad to hear you and your fiance are alright!
Old     (Brett_B)      Join Date: Sep 2010       08-01-2012, 7:59 AM Reply   
Glad to hear you guys are ok and that the T-Reg kept you safe. The passenger compartment looks completely intact without any deformation since it looks like the doors even opened easily. The crumple zones really did their job. Gotta love good German engineering! Had you even gotten a chance to tow the boat with it yet? How did it do?
Old     (MrPeepers)      Join Date: Aug 2011       08-01-2012, 8:16 AM Reply   
This type of scenario freaks me out now that I have a 4 month old riding in the back seat. ***shudder***
Old     (mattscraft)      Join Date: May 2009       08-01-2012, 8:19 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPeepers View Post
This type of scenario freaks me out now that I have a 4 month old riding in the back seat. ***shudder***
Yeah, me too, we have a 1 year old and 4 year old grand children, transport them many times Thank god not Saturday!
Old     (mattscraft)      Join Date: May 2009       08-01-2012, 8:31 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett_B View Post
Glad to hear you guys are ok and that the T-Reg kept you safe. The passenger compartment looks completely intact without any deformation since it looks like the doors even opened easily. The crumple zones really did their job. Gotta love good German engineering! Had you even gotten a chance to tow the boat with it yet? How did it do?
Both front doors were pinched slightly, from what I could tell when I looked at it at the impound lot, engine appeared intact, could not raise the hood though.

Only towed twice, test tow took it up a steep highway incline, went from 40 MPH to 70MPH, was running at 3500 RPMs, dropped to 2500 half way up at 70 mph. Engine did not even feel like it was working hard at all. Even was running the AC, something I could not do in my Ram 1500. Level ground she runs at about 1800 at 65 mph. By comparison, my 1500 would have been running at 4000 RPM the entire way up and lucky to get to 65MPH. Sway, backing etc. is not a problem, back fenders only drop 1" with the boat attached. Biggest issue, compared to a 4 Wheel Pick-Up is the vehicle sits much lower, so all I can see out of the center rear view is 2 Pickle Forks, lol!
Old     (olmoomba)      Join Date: Apr 2010       08-01-2012, 9:24 AM Reply   
Glad everyone is ok. That was a brutal wreck!
Old     (gti2lo)      Join Date: Nov 2005       08-01-2012, 9:53 AM Reply   
Glad to see your ok.

We had a 2004 Touareg and in 2007 got hit by a red light runner in the driver's side door. He was in a 93 Cadilac Seville (land yacht) doing about 80km/h (50 mph) and I had just started rolling as I had received a green light.

Needless to say the impact moved the 5400lb Touareg 3 meters (10') laterally. I had blacked out from the impact but was able to climb out myself. I went to hospital for a check up and all I had was 4 dislocated discs in my back from the jolt on me from the seat belt and impact sideways.

We now have a 2008 Touareg with 100,000kms on it and it hasn't given us one problem at all. Tows the x-star awesome too with the Air Suspension and Torque from the v8.
Old     (kskonn)      Join Date: Mar 2011       08-01-2012, 12:38 PM Reply   
first of all it is Great that you and Susan are OK! I had a similiar experience guy running from the cops hit me head on, I got out of the car and passed out, but was completely fine- they tell me it was from the massive adrenaline and then subsequent blood pressure drop. None the less it will scare the living crap out of you.

I am also particular touched by this story because a number of my products go into the electronics that make the active safety features respond appropriatelly on 90% of vehicles. On most days you feel like you are getting beat to hell by the automotive industry but when you hear a story about how much safer it makes a car it makes all the frustration go away.
Old     (wakeboy01)      Join Date: Apr 2009       08-02-2012, 8:07 AM Reply   
Glad to hear you and yours are okay. TDI's rock! Like everyone else was saying German engineering and safety standards are one of the best.

From the "dice in the mirror" comment I now have Fresh Prince of Bel-Air stuck in my head -
"I whistled for a cab and when it came near the
License plate said "fresh" and had a dice in the mirror
If anything I could say that this cab was rare
But I thought nah, forget it, yo homes to Bel-air! "
Old     (tn_rider)      Join Date: Dec 2009       08-02-2012, 8:31 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by kskonn View Post
first of all it is Great that you and Susan are OK! I had a similiar experience guy running from the cops hit me head on, I got out of the car and passed out, but was completely fine- they tell me it was from the massive adrenaline and then subsequent blood pressure drop. None the less it will scare the living crap out of you.

I am also particular touched by this story because a number of my products go into the electronics that make the active safety features respond appropriatelly on 90% of vehicles. On most days you feel like you are getting beat to hell by the automotive industry but when you hear a story about how much safer it makes a car it makes all the frustration go away.
Adrenaline is pretty crazy!! I have a pretty hefty scar on my left forearm from a car wreck. Was on the way home late one night after work (was in highschool) Speer limit was 65 I had my cruise set on 70. It was a 4 lane highway and a driver was pulling from the right side into the median (across the highway). I saw him come to a stop at the stop sign and he waited about 5 seconds. I got maybe 300 feet away (70 mph can close a 300 ft gap QUICK) and he pulled out. I barely had time to hit the breaks and time went into slow motion it felt like. I actually didn't freak out and thought to myself. You can hit this guy in the drivers side door which would probably kill him or swerve. I swerved and flipped 3 times then slid on the roof for about 50 feet. Had my hands on the roof to keep my face from going into the concrete passing where the windshield broke out. I looked out my drivers side hanging upside down and the jack*** that I flipped for was in the median. Then he just drove off and left me like nothing ever happened. I waited for 15 minutes or so for a car to come by and started to walk to a house half a mile down the road and met a car. My arm kept feeling wet and I was just brushing it off on my jeans not knowing it was blood. Because of the adrenaline I didn't know that my forearm had 0 skin on it down to the bone. When I was flippingy arm went out the window and the pavement took the skin off. I remembered every bit of the wreck and come to find out the guy I missed had 0 license and multiple DUI's. I remembered what his truck looked like and he lived on the road he was pulling out of. Crazy thing was the cops couldn't do anything to him cause I didn't hit him and they had no way to prove he was actually at the accident.
Old     (kskonn)      Join Date: Mar 2011       08-02-2012, 9:56 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by tn_rider View Post
Adrenaline is pretty crazy!! I have a pretty hefty scar on my left forearm from a car wreck. Was on the way home late one night after work (was in highschool) Speer limit was 65 I had my cruise set on 70. It was a 4 lane highway and a driver was pulling from the right side into the median (across the highway). I saw him come to a stop at the stop sign and he waited about 5 seconds. I got maybe 300 feet away (70 mph can close a 300 ft gap QUICK) and he pulled out. I barely had time to hit the breaks and time went into slow motion it felt like. I actually didn't freak out and thought to myself. You can hit this guy in the drivers side door which would probably kill him or swerve. I swerved and flipped 3 times then slid on the roof for about 50 feet. Had my hands on the roof to keep my face from going into the concrete passing where the windshield broke out. I looked out my drivers side hanging upside down and the jack*** that I flipped for was in the median. Then he just drove off and left me like nothing ever happened. I waited for 15 minutes or so for a car to come by and started to walk to a house half a mile down the road and met a car. My arm kept feeling wet and I was just brushing it off on my jeans not knowing it was blood. Because of the adrenaline I didn't know that my forearm had 0 skin on it down to the bone. When I was flippingy arm went out the window and the pavement took the skin off. I remembered every bit of the wreck and come to find out the guy I missed had 0 license and multiple DUI's. I remembered what his truck looked like and he lived on the road he was pulling out of. Crazy thing was the cops couldn't do anything to him cause I didn't hit him and they had no way to prove he was actually at the accident.
Yea I have had a few motorcycle accidents with some non structural severe injuries where you just don't feel them from the adrenaline.

That sucks about the guy not being held accountable, I always have to fight the urge for vigilante justice when I hear about things like this happening. Nothing violent just a slashed tire or 5(including the spare). I never do it but I always want to.