Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (notsobueno)      Join Date: Dec 2004       05-24-2010, 8:46 PM Reply   
This Saturday night, live from Vegas on PPV. Here we go:

Rashad Evans vs. Rampage Jackson (winner gets Shogun)
Michael Bisping vs. Dan Miller
Todd Duffee vs. Mike Russow
Antonio Rogerio Noguiera vs. Jason Brilz
Diego Sanchez vs. John Hathaway

Amir Sadollah vs. Dong Hyun Kim
Efrain Escudero vs. Dan Lauzon

Melvin Guillard vs. Waylon Lowe
Luiz Cane vs. Cyrille Diabate
Aaron Riley vs. Joe Brammer
Jesse Forbes vs. Ryan Jensen

Rashad vs. Rampage - Long time coming. Should be a rather exciting fight, unless Rashad decides to lay on top of Rampage. Hope it turns into a slugfest at least for a while. Don't really care who wins, just hope it is an exciting fight.

Bisping vs. Miller - I give the edge in this to Bisping, although I wouldn't be too surprised if Miller pulls off the upset. Miller is tough as nails and good with a guillotine. Having said that, i don't think Bisping will be trying for a takedown.

Duffee vs. Russow - two incredible looking HW prospects. Striker vs. Wrestler. Who can impose their will? Duffee has only spent 7 seconds in the UFC, so he feels he is quite overrated. Russow is a standout wrestler. Should be interesting for sure. Glad we get to see this one.

Lil' Nog vs. Brilz - Was supposed to be Lil' Nog vs. Forrest, but injuries happen. This is a decent replacement, although absolutely nobody is expecting Brilz to win. He is good, has a great record and all, but i just don't see him beating Lil' Nog.

Sanchez vs. Hathaway - THIS is the fight I am most looking forward to on this card. Hathaway is a stud, and not your typical British fighter....cause the dude can WRESTLE! He has manhandled all his UFC opponents and I would dearly love to see him manhandle Sanchez. Sanchez is coming off his lightweight experiment, and no doubt looking to rebound from the mauling that Penn put on him. Hathaway is big and very well rounded. Sanchez is very well rounded. Hope Hathaway can pull this one off! haha.

Sadollah vs. Kim - Great fight for a Spike prelim. Kim has no losses. Sadollah is a TUF alum with quite a good game. I don't see a finish happening in this one, and it could really go either way.

Escudero vs. D. Lauzon - Another great free Spike prelim....Escudero coming off his first career loss (nasty armbar at the hands of Evan Dunham) and D. Lauzon, who has been feuding with his brother apparently, is looking to rebound from a submission loss as well. I see Escudero taking this one somehow before 15 minutes is up.

Overall not the best looking card on paper, but as we all know, these tend to produce the most excitement. I am just stoked about the Hathaway / Sanchez fight....did I mention that before?
Old     (gunz)      Join Date: Sep 2001       05-24-2010, 9:24 PM Reply   
I may watch,but there is a serious drunkfest that is happenin this weekend,and I got a reputation to keep.
Old     (FreeRider209)      Join Date: Mar 2010       05-26-2010, 2:49 PM Reply   
I really hope the focused Rampage shows up. I think Rashad is a lil too cocky and has a lot of holes in his game that can be exposed. I also think that Rampage has the skills to block his take downs as well..
I like that Duffee kept a level head after a 7 second knockout. Hopefully he gets a lil more time in the cage to show he is the real deal.
I'm excited to see Sanchez back at 170. He had a run at 55 but BJ put that to rest. Sanchez is always exciting so I am looking forward to this bout.
Old     (lizzyb)      Join Date: Sep 2005       05-26-2010, 3:23 PM Reply   
I think it all depends which Rampage will show up. He looks pretty out of shape and overweight in the Primetime show. Rashad looks VERY well trained.

Rampage doesn't want to be fighting anymore.. he wants to have a movie career. Because of that, I think his heart might not be in it.

I like them both.. should be a good fight.

Glad to have you back Dave.
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-26-2010, 3:58 PM Reply   
You guys notice on UFC Undisputed 2010- Rashad has like the highest rankings. Even over GSP and BJ. 'Sup with that?

I think Rashad is too smart to stand in front of him. I think he cages him and grinds. Just depends on how strong he is. He maqy also do some Forrest leg kicks to get in Rampage's head.
Old     (lizzyb)      Join Date: Sep 2005       05-26-2010, 4:50 PM Reply   
Rashad has lost ONE fight.. to Machida. He's beat some great fighters..
Old     (phatboypimp)      Join Date: Apr 2005       05-26-2010, 4:51 PM Reply   
I think Rampage is a bully street-fighter and Rashad is a well-trained, multi-dimensional fighter who can win this fight standing or on the ground. I have never been impressed with Rampage but I love the way he talks smack. I hope it is a good fight but I see this going to Rashad. Used to love Bisping on TUF but now all I want to see is him getting a beat down.
Old     (lizzyb)      Join Date: Sep 2005       05-27-2010, 8:16 AM Reply   
Agreed.. completely.

If you've been watching the Primetime series... holy cow. Rashad is extremely well-trained and dedicated. Rampage says it's the best shape he's ever been in.. yet he looks really overweight and out of shape to me. I guess we'll see.
Old     (DavidClements)      Join Date: May 2010       05-27-2010, 9:26 AM Reply   
You guys are completely confused about these two guys... Rampage was crushing people like Chuck Lidell and Kevin Randleman in PRIDE when Rashad was still just a college wrestler... Rampage has a resume that blows away Rashad's. Rashad basically has wins against a washed-up Chuck Lidell and Forest Griffith. The guy only has 15 fights, Rampage has 37, don't kid yourself, Rampage is ready. He started his training at 250lbs, he is down to 220 this week.
Old     (lizzyb)      Join Date: Sep 2005       05-27-2010, 9:54 AM Reply   
Key word being "was"...

Didn't Rampage lose to that washed up Forrest Griffin?
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-27-2010, 9:59 AM Reply   
I see Rashad possibly being like GSP style-wise. He will be able to use his wresting to control on the ground and his speed in stand up. I just don't think he is going to stand in front of Rampage. I agree on the Prime-time stuff really seems to show Rashad training like the rest of the current world champs (BJ (pre-loss nonsense),GSP, Machida/Shogun and silva). Rampage seems to be more old school and less versatile. That being said, Rampage is no joke and his focused and hatred maybe is enough in itself.

Here's the one thing I was thinking last night. if Rampage loses he is done. Nobody really cares about him and I do not think he is dedicated enough to work to the top again. If Rashad loses it really means nothing. He will have to fight a few more times before a title shot, but he is still top 3-4 in the division with or without this fight.

All that I want to see if a good fight. Not strictly a wrestling match or a non-boxing boxing match.
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-27-2010, 10:00 AM Reply   
Did you guys see the soccer kick on Tuff last night? man I hate TITO!
Old     (DavidClements)      Join Date: May 2010       05-27-2010, 10:02 AM Reply   
I love the way that people conveniently forget that Rampage wrestled in college too... I love both these guys but to discount Rampage for any reason, is ridiculous, the guy could be the champ again very soon... Doesn't the winner of this one get to fight Shogun? Rampage could get up for a rematch!
Old     (mendo247)      Join Date: Mar 2005       05-27-2010, 10:20 AM Reply   
Rampage is from da streets lol But seriously guys like him may not be the best at wrestling or subs but he knows how to win a fight. If he lands a shot on Rashad its over. I'm affraid well see the lay and pray Rashad come out though. I dont see Rampage fending off his takedowns. Everyone knocks Rampages training but until he steps on the scale we have no idea what kind of shape he is in. DONT THINK FOR A SECOND the Wolfs Lair crew doesnt know how to train. Its definetly gonna be a sick night of fights. Which i'll be purchasing when I get home Monday.
Old     (lizzyb)      Join Date: Sep 2005       05-27-2010, 10:43 AM Reply   
I'm not discounting anyone. I like Rampage a lot and I know he's a great fighter. I just don't know if this 2010 Rampage is the same as the Rampage that cleaned up in Pride and held the UFC title.
Old     (phatboypimp)      Join Date: Apr 2005       05-27-2010, 10:55 AM Reply   
This fight game has passed up Chuck Liddel and Rampage. They are simply one dimensional. You can see how they coach - which is reflective of how they train. Rampage is hitting a heavy bag and running like Rocky - that old school stuff doesn't work anymore. If you train simply to knock someone out you will lose the majority of your fights. Rampage is a thug with heavy hands and he is going to win a fight or two with that power. But in my opinion this game has left him, just like he left those cops in his version of the OJ Simpson truck chase.
Old     (DavidClements)      Join Date: May 2010       05-27-2010, 11:58 AM Reply   
I fear that we are going to have a wrestling match on our hands. $5 bucks says that Rashad, "sticks to his gameplan" and sits on top of him all night... 3 round yawner coming atcha folks...
Old     (lizzyb)      Join Date: Sep 2005       05-27-2010, 12:44 PM Reply   
I don't know... these two seem to really hate each other and might really want to beat the sh** out of each other.
Old     (wakereviews)      Join Date: Sep 2006       05-27-2010, 1:04 PM Reply   
neither of these guys were fighting right?
http://deadspin.com/5549389/mushroom...+beating-heart
Old     (mendo247)      Join Date: Mar 2005       05-27-2010, 4:52 PM Reply   
The fight game has passed Rampage??? Now Chuck yes but come on... Until Rampage is flat on his back ko'd 3 or 4 times there in no way im saying its passed him up. Espically in this division. Some of the greatest fighters in this division are on dimensional.. This weekend will say allot.
Old     (notsobueno)      Join Date: Dec 2004       05-27-2010, 6:11 PM Reply   
Haven't seen a heated discussion like this in awhile.
Can't believe its Rashad & Rampage causing it haha.

The keys have already been mentioned. If Rampage is on his back the majority of the fight, there is almost no way he can win. On the feet, I'd say they are fairly even, with power and technique going to Rampage, speed easily going to Rashad. If Rampage could somehow get Rashad on his back, THEN we have the chance to see the old Pride Rampage. The one that was triangled by Arona and lifted him fully above his head and slammed him into unconsciousness. Awesome.

You people should be more focused on Hathaway vs. Sanchez IMO. Did I mention that before?
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-28-2010, 7:24 AM Reply   
Sanchez fight is great too. I am a huge sanchez fan for his heart and determination. That should be a good one. Is anybody caring about the bisbing fight?
Old     (mendo247)      Join Date: Mar 2005       05-28-2010, 3:18 PM Reply   
I've got anxiety from this fight lol

I want Rampage to win soooo bad lol The only things I like about Rashad is the fact he KO'd Butterbean Lidell and his bad arse Sunglasses.
Old     (poser007)      Join Date: Nov 2004       05-28-2010, 6:19 PM Reply   
I am not a big fan of Rahsad. I think he has a big mouth. I believe Rashd is more refined then Rampage, but anyone who thinks Rampage is washed up is crazy. As far as wrestling, not many people take Rampage down. he has incredible take down defense. As good as Rashad is at taking guys down, Dan Henderson the Silver medalist in 96 was on his back in alot of there fight. This fight can go either way.

I agree Rampage isn't the most technical guy in the sport, but he makes up for it with toughness.
Old     (poser007)      Join Date: Nov 2004       05-29-2010, 9:52 PM Reply   
Rampage has got to be the dumbest fighter I have ever seen. Could have won the fight and he just stood there WTF? It's almost like he just gave the fight to Rashad. When you have someone wably why would u just stand there and let him recover? I am pissed.
Old     (barry)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-29-2010, 10:19 PM Reply   
White owes me a free night(or three) of fights for this one. Weaksauce.
Old     (poser007)      Join Date: Nov 2004       05-29-2010, 11:00 PM Reply   
Im starting to get a little fed up with the UFC
Old     (notsobueno)      Join Date: Dec 2004       05-29-2010, 11:03 PM Reply   
I hope all of you saw Mr. Hathaway fight. Future of WW division IMO.

Brilz was also quite impressive and IMO should have gotten the D.

Duffee....what the hell happened there?
Old     (notsobueno)      Join Date: Dec 2004       05-30-2010, 8:34 AM Reply   
Bonuses:

Lil Nog & Brilz = $65k EACH for FIGHT of the night
Ryan Jensen = $65k for SUB of the night
Mike Russow = $65k for KO of the night
Old     (jonb)      Join Date: Oct 2003       05-30-2010, 10:41 AM Reply   
Wasnt the expexted outcome in most of the fights.
Old     (lizzyb)      Join Date: Sep 2005       06-01-2010, 8:11 AM Reply   
Glad I didn't pay for it.

Also glad Rashad won.. I'd much rather see someone get a title shot that actually wants to fight again.
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-01-2010, 8:52 AM Reply   
Boring, but predictable. Rashad fight when exactly as I said earlier in the thread. No disrespect to Rampage, but he is not ever going to be a complete enough fighter for the top guys now. The new breed of fighter tends to be boring, but extremely complete. You look at all the UFC champs now and they are a serious mix of wrestling with crazy good BJJ. Rampage is just a little loo late to train all those other aspects to be in the top 3.

I am worried about Sanchez. He just did not look like his old self. Maybe the 170 lbs is just too much for him? Or the BJ loss just took too much out of him.
Old     (hillbilly)      Join Date: Aug 2002       06-01-2010, 9:59 AM Reply   
Best part of the night was when Sanchez got beat on for 3 rounds !

Bisping won ,But it was easier to take since Sanchez lost

I think Rashad will get an azz whooping by Shogun !
Old     (mendo247)      Join Date: Mar 2005       06-01-2010, 10:20 AM Reply   
LOVED seeing Sanchez get worked!!! Best PPV EVER!!!

Rampage was rusty and tired quickly, he didnt jump on Rashad when he got up cause he was out of gas, even said he put all his eggs in one basket when he had him down.

How bout Rusow! Thats was incredible.. Glad I bought it last night lol
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       06-01-2010, 2:38 PM Reply   
Ugh, the fights were just too slow! I mean when the UFC has a hard time holding your attention there's is a problem. Luckily I only kicked in a ten spot for this fight and didn't host. I feel like Dana owes us all a couple good freebies after the last three PPV's left me feeling flat and listless towards the UFC. I can respect Evans for sticking to a game plan that worked but it was so damn boring, I mean he really didn't try for anything. I can't keep getting up for these cards where the main event features a lame o, stick to the plan, get enough points to win type of fighter. To me that is not what the UFC is about hence the reason the undercards with the up and comers have become my favorite part to watch. Two guys selling out for their shot.

The Russo knock out was awesome though. Most people thought it was lucky but dude was still on his feet that late in the fight after getting beat on and in a position to land such a strike. I'm always blown away at the cardio of some of those fat bodies though, maybe therir bodies are super effecient at tapping into their fat stores
Old     (jefefitz)      Join Date: May 2002       06-01-2010, 2:59 PM Reply   
I was determined to see this fight so I bought it as soon as i got home from work, it literally came on as rampage and rashad were in stare down mode. needless to say i was a little disappointed but i had the rest of the card to watch later, i was sure there were good things to come. not really. to further the disappointment when i went to watch the free undercard fights that i had recorded on spike all i had was star wars. did anyone else get screwed out of the free fights?
Old     (lizzyb)      Join Date: Sep 2005       06-01-2010, 3:56 PM Reply   
Yep.. instead of the undercard it was The Phantom Menace. Not even a good Star Wars. Bastards.
Old     (notsobueno)      Join Date: Dec 2004       06-01-2010, 8:35 PM Reply   
Jason, don't take anything away from Hathaway's performance. He rocked Sanchez with that knee early and stole his mojo IMO at that point. Hathaway's gameplan was great, and executed well also. Having said that, yeah, Sanchez didn't seem to perform to his usual abilities, even before the knee. But Hathaway is for real I think.

Lizzyb....Phantom Menace is my favorite of the 6 star wars movies. Why be hatin?
Old     (notsobueno)      Join Date: Dec 2004       06-01-2010, 8:40 PM Reply   
And just for the record, this was one of those cards that wasn't a barnburner on paper, that usually SEEMS to provide the better fights...this night it just didn't and when that happens, we all feel most resentful haha. Unfortunately 115 is not much better on paper. I do think there are some better matchups at 115, but still not the greatest card.
Old     (lizzyb)      Join Date: Sep 2005       06-03-2010, 9:46 AM Reply   
Dave - The Phantom Menace is your favorite? You are clearly not a real Star Wars fan.
Old     (BCPMike0663)      Join Date: Apr 2010       06-03-2010, 10:39 AM Reply   
I am having a problem justifying fifty bucks for 115. DTW convince me it is worth it. I always thing I am not going to get the so so card but I end up getting it anyway because it is cheaper then going to the bar.