Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (MC9199)      Join Date: Apr 2010       04-13-2010, 12:37 PM Reply   
Almost scared to post this...
took the boat to the dealer a week ago, replaced the water pump, blower, and a ballast pump. They told me today that it was running there. I brought it home, put it in the water and it woudln't turn over, just a click. Thought about it possibly being the battery so to rule that out I replaced it too. Still nothing.
Thoughts,

Thanks
Old     (Michael)      Join Date: Mar 2010       04-13-2010, 12:39 PM Reply   
bring it back and tell them to fix it
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       04-13-2010, 1:07 PM Reply   
It sounds like there is a bad ground somewhere. Check all your connections from the battery to the Starter, block, alternator, etc...
Old     (joecs)      Join Date: Oct 2008       04-13-2010, 1:18 PM Reply   
Make sure the emergency gas shut off clip is in......
Old     (mc_x15)      Join Date: Jul 2008       04-13-2010, 1:24 PM Reply   
+1 on the gas shut off clip
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       04-13-2010, 2:28 PM Reply   
no voltage. could be a safety feature like the gas clip or battery/solenoid/ground issue. If not safety switch, take it back.
Old     (justintime)      Join Date: Mar 2009       04-17-2010, 4:21 PM Reply   
that click is either bad starter relay or low voltage or bad ground conection
Old     (krbaugh)      Join Date: Mar 2002       04-17-2010, 4:52 PM Reply   
What he said.....I am still looking for a gas shut off clip :-)
Old     (2006maliblue)      Join Date: Mar 2009       04-17-2010, 6:21 PM Reply   
I don't think it would be a gas shut off clip. Doesn't thats just turn off power to the fuel pump? I know thats what it does on my boat! I can crank the motor all day and it'll turn over it just won't fire with the clip removed. I'd be willing to bet if you have no power anywhere its a perko switch or main disconnect for power. If you have juice to everything but the starter then you need to see if the starter is getting power. If its getting power to the solenoid then you need to see if it has a good ground. If all that checks its got to be a bad starter!
Old     (camassanger)      Join Date: Oct 2009       04-17-2010, 7:00 PM Reply   
my bet is that its related to the battery/power. put an multimeter on the battery to confirm enuf voltage, then trace the wiring. often when you get a click, it is a corroded terminal somewhere, or a battery that is not charged enuf to turn the boat over. I hope this helps you out - let us know what happens
Old     (jtnz)      Join Date: Sep 2007       04-18-2010, 8:19 PM Reply   
Could be that the solenoid (where the power wires connect, should be a little cylinder hanging off the side of the starter motor) on the starter is stuck, I've had this happen many times with my starters, you could tap the solenoid with something metal to shock it back into place, I use a hammer and a power bar, but the best bet would be take it back to the shop and get them to fix it.

Edit: If you are going to try the method above yourself be careful not to touch both battery posts on the solenoid at the same time with anything metal, makes lots of sparks. You can actually jump the starter this way and if the ignition is on the motor should run, but not recommended, especially in a boat.

Last edited by jtnz; 04-18-2010 at 8:24 PM. Reason: more info
Old     (joecs)      Join Date: Oct 2008       04-20-2010, 9:04 AM Reply   
It must have been fixed..........
Old     (jmanolinsky)      Join Date: Dec 2005       04-20-2010, 9:17 AM Reply   
Check the solenoid that is not part of the starter assembly. I just replaced mine. Sometimes it would start fine and other times it would just click like you describe. I replaced it and it works like a champ now. You can check it by putting a volt meter on the wires going to the solenoid on the starter. If you don't see 12 volts when you turn the switch to the start position, that is a pretty good indication that it is the solenoid. Mine was mounted on the top of the block in the back.

Hope this helps,
Jman
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       04-20-2010, 9:56 AM Reply   
it's something very minor from what you descrbed.

I woudl bet it's the emergency kill switch, make sure it's completely attached to the pin ( depressed fully) . It probably got knocked loose somehow.
Old     (MC9199)      Join Date: Apr 2010       04-20-2010, 2:01 PM Reply   
still not completely sure what it is. And actually I took it to a different dealer after the level of customer service mine decided to show me.
Anyway, it's looking like the starter needed to be replaced entirely, and also they wanted to put a different batter in it that had more amps to crank.
It was supposed to go for a lake test today, but still haven't heard back.

Thanks for the help guys, I will let you know how it turns out,
Also it wasn't the saftey switch, although I was really hoping so.

Thanks again
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       04-20-2010, 2:18 PM Reply   
Right.... Sometimes starters go out. Should be golden with a fresh one and better batt.

However, you might have had some recourse with your old dealer. They got it started somehow and starters don't go bad overnite... I would have at least called them asked a few questions. Unless they're completely full of BS and then its best to wash your hands of them and be done with it. Either way, your boat is either finished getting fixed or really close. Enjoy the season.
Old     (MC9199)      Join Date: Apr 2010       04-22-2010, 6:06 AM Reply   
Thanks for the help guys, I brought her home last night with a new starter and another couple hundred invested. Who cares! I can get on the water
Old     (justintime)      Join Date: Mar 2009       04-22-2010, 1:10 PM Reply   
thats good

did you keep old parts, at least ask for them back???