Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (denwbaseball)      Join Date: Apr 2007       03-29-2010, 5:36 AM Reply   
Ok so a month or so I was on talking about doing major renovations to a house and everyone was saying just build a new house a save yourself some headache. Well thats what I think I'm going to do....I think. I found some plans online that I like and I'm wondering if there are any builders on hear that could give me a rough guess of what it would cost to build this house in Illinois? Here is the link....

http://www.thehousedesigners.com/pla...p?PlanNum=2259

The lot will be free so don't factor in that but it will be on bare farm land...no water so a well will have to be dug, a septictank put in, power to the lot.
I don't want to do the stone that it has on the bottom half, just regular siding and shingles all around, I don't want any of that nice exposed wood at the roof peaks or at the front entrance, no fireplaces and only 1 door going to the back yard. Thanks guys.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       03-29-2010, 6:19 AM Reply   
Are you going to need a construction loan? If so, have you looked into them yet? I was thinking about building and started looking into construction loans. Even with about 30% down , new construciton loans were very expensive. My credit score hover in the high 700's.

In texas I was using $100/ sq ft as a genereal rule of thumb. It's all in the options.
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       03-29-2010, 6:48 AM Reply   
Go with something with a bigger master bath. I would also keep the French doors off of the master. Both are resale value boosters.
Old     (mhunter)      Join Date: Mar 2008       03-29-2010, 7:25 AM Reply   
I generaled my house 12 years ago. I bought the plans from South Carolina . The first thing that had to be done was to upgrade the print to pass Indiana code. Hire a contractor by reputation not price . The low price will be just as high by the time they are done . The house you have picked is a high end custom build it will be expensive my guess 120-150 per sf.
Get all your quotes and add 15% . Good Luck
Old     (denwbaseball)      Join Date: Apr 2007       03-29-2010, 7:39 AM Reply   
I will have 30% down on a consturction loan. I know from the pictures it looks high end but I don't want all the high end options that are pictured...like the stone and the fancy exposed wood at roof peaks and entry ways....just regular everything.....the floor plan is what I like and the back porch.
Is that 120-150 with a well and septic?
no granit...no stanless steel...no hardwood....no crazy expensive carpet.....no crown molding....you get the point

Last edited by denwbaseball; 03-29-2010 at 7:46 AM.
Old     (keithowen)      Join Date: Jul 2009       03-29-2010, 10:14 AM Reply   
I've built a handful of houses in the last several years. I wasn't a contractor but was in the construction business for 6 years or so and the first piece of advice I would give you is to not buy any plans on line. It's exactly as michael said - you'll just have to have them redone and re-engineered. Had a buddy of mine that was having a home built and he spent like 1300.00 on plans online before he knew what contractor he was going with and just had to do them again locally. You're going to make so many changes by the time you actually get started that it will be to your advantage to find a reputable draftsman in your area and stick with him. It's been a few years since I last built but the going rate locally was around $.65/foot for blueprints plus like 10.00 or 15.00 per copy. These plans are all copyrighted so just take the main ideas you like of the plans to your draftsman and they'll get you rollin. Also, that particular plan is going to be closer to 1800 - 2000 sq ft, not 1421. It's telling you the liveable space but all of your quotes and bids will be based off of total square footage(outside wall to outside wall). There are a few things with that plan that I can tell you will cost a significant amount regardless of how you finish it out. You might take them into consideration before you go to get your blueprints so you can have some options. Three big money items on that house would be the roof itself, the covered back porch, and the bonus room(all related in terms of your trusses). That house with a bonus room would require at least a 10/12 pitch, if not a 12/12. A typical modest ranch type home would have something like a 6/12 - 8/12. The amount of extra materials and framing costs to accomodate a roof like that is just ridiculous and a bonus room requires a special truss with a floor joist built into it which are very costly. Any contractor will tell you that an upper level bonus room is one of the most expensive things to do in terms of cost/sq ft. You could easily still have that nice covered porch in the back with a 6/12 pitch. Your well costs will totally depend on how deep they have to go. In my area you could get your well and septic done for less than 8000.00. If you plan on doing any of the work yourself on this home I would suggest picking just a few things that you know you are good at and can finish up in a reasonable amount of time. I've seen numerous people try to take on too much and they just end up having to pay twice to have something fixed and lose contractors because they're not ready for them to come in and do their work at the time scheduled for it. I generaled all of my homes but would only do like the tile and the siding because I had experience with them and knew I wouldn't hold anyone up. You also just end up burning through a ton of the interest that accrues during the construction phase because it takes so much longer to complete the job. Good luck! - that house looks awesome.
Old     (fouroheight68)      Join Date: May 2006       03-29-2010, 4:02 PM Reply   
Figure $170/sq ft for your average house, 250/sq ft + for higher end. Thats California, may be less in il.
Old     (pdub)      Join Date: Jul 2009       03-29-2010, 4:11 PM Reply   
Great advice keith, I`m a Builder angd could not have said it any better, and i do agree with Boarder85 for a nicely finished home using good quality contractors 160-170 per sq ft.
Old     (jason95gt)      Join Date: May 2006       03-29-2010, 4:15 PM Reply   
What part of IL? If it is close to WI, I have some great custom builders that are not busy that could give you a great price. Send me a message if you are close. Otherwise I would go with around $130-$150/sq ft.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       03-30-2010, 10:23 AM Reply   
$170/sq - 250/ sq ft foot just to build the house?? I'm guessing permitting/building code restrictions are much higher?

I was going to build with these people. I was being quoted in the $110-$120 sq ft. The only additional costs for me was the higher end appliance ( wolf range/sub zero built in)

http://www.partnersinbuilding.com/interior.aspx