Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through July 28, 2009

Old     (sc_lsv)      Join Date: Oct 2008       07-06-2009, 4:53 PM Reply   
Anybody have a wiring diagram for installing LED courtesy lighting in boat. I thinking of doing it in Series to save multiple wires running all around the boat. Will be wiring from battery to dash switch then to LEDs.

What type of wire did you use to run around the boat? Where can i buy lowes or bestbuy?

Did you crimp wires or solder?

Any advice? Lights should be in this week and install early next week.
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       07-06-2009, 6:30 PM Reply   
If you're going with an LED courtesy light asm, then you dont need to series them, just run them all in parallel (+ to +, - to -) with 1 run of 2 conductor wire. The light furthest from the switch will be the end of the line, and all the other will just tap into the + and -.
Old     (kikitlo)      Join Date: Jul 2005       07-06-2009, 10:10 PM Reply   
Additionally I would solder and heat shrink each connection due to the environment.
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       07-06-2009, 10:20 PM Reply   
depends on the led voltage range. my strips do not like to see over 13v so I use a fair distance of #24 to intentionally introduce voltage drop. I assume your mention of series is not electrically wired in series.
Old     (sc_lsv)      Join Date: Oct 2008       07-07-2009, 4:00 AM Reply   
I actually I am planning to wire them in a Parallel circuit. I guess i never learned to proofread in college. Sorry for confusion.

Is this correct? 1 wire wired thru from battery + to dash accessory switch with each LED + soldered or heatshirked to it. 1 wire running from battery - to the the LED -, terminnating at the furthest LED. I am using 3 LED step lights with resistors already installed within the individual setup.

I actually plan on making two circuits thru two accessory switches for the lights, 1 for the lights about the speakers/cupholders, and 1 for the courtesy lighting in the floor. I am worried that is I wire all the lights to one circuit it would be too bright and limit visibility at night. Anybody experience this problem? LEDs are 3 set GREEN step light type. Thanks for the feedback.

SC_LSV
2006 Moomba Mobius LSV Black/Grey
Board - 08 Ronix Covin / 08 Ronix Cells
Surf - CWB Tsunami
Audio - 6 - JL MX650-CCX 6.5" in boat
2 - JL M770-ETX 7.7" on Tower
2 - JL 10" W1 Subs
JL M6600W & JL M1700W Amps
Old     (MariusTitulescu)      Join Date: Dec 2015       07-13-2023, 11:09 PM Reply   
I'd also be interested in a diagram so I can properly install a stairway light. Thanks in advance!