Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 08, 2008

Old     (woreout)      Join Date: Aug 2006       04-30-2008, 10:45 AM Reply   
Other than the price, what is something you would like to see changed about your favorite brand of boat ?
I for one, would like to see MC change the way the tower clamps together. I thought the 2006 models with the screw in knob was better than the "clamp" they have now, its way to clumsy.
I am glad to see they fixed the wobbly problem.

This isnt a thread to rag on other peoples choice of MFG, its for good ideas to make your favorite better. Who knows maybe they will pay attention.
Old     (waterfreak)      Join Date: Jul 2007       04-30-2008, 10:49 AM Reply   
The tower shake, rattle, and roll going on with my 07 MC. Getting the braces installed. Don't you think they would have found this problem at engineering stage?? This is my only concern as I love the boat so I guess I am doing pretty good.
Old     (brit_rider)      Join Date: May 2004       04-30-2008, 10:54 AM Reply   
I'd like to see engine noise massively reduced. It's totally possible... just no one seems to bother.

With the way gas prices are too I think it's high time the big engine and transmission brands ditched their stone age technology and got some efficient engines/gearboxes built. I'm never going to get 50MPG out of my boat like my car but I see a 100% improvement being feasible.. they just aren't investing to achieve it.
Old     (houdini)      Join Date: Aug 2005       04-30-2008, 11:20 AM Reply   
I think it would be innovative to develop a system that actively monitors the steering system. Not like cruise control where it would be controlled, but just something to show you how far off of a "straight path" you are driving. I feel like I am driving dead straight, but will look back and over time I am drifting slightly one way or another. This would also really help with newbie drivers as it is hard to tell how straight you are driving. I am not an engineer and this may be near impossible, but it is something no boat has tried to my knowledge and it could be cool...
It would be on the dash and just show you with maybe like little lights left and right that light up if you are turning the boat.

(Message edited by houdini on April 30, 2008)
Old     (chaser)      Join Date: Sep 2006       04-30-2008, 11:32 AM Reply   
Mike, how about a big compass?
Old     (brit_rider)      Join Date: May 2004       04-30-2008, 11:42 AM Reply   
The steering thing would be difficult I think as ocean currents, river currents affect things rather a lot. the boat may not be driving straight but it might actually be going straight (make sense??). Interesting idea though for sure... :-)
Old     (houdini)      Join Date: Aug 2005       04-30-2008, 11:44 AM Reply   
Yea, I guess essentially that it what it would use, but integrated technology and easy of use is key - Who really wants a big compass on your dash when you have this really cool, high tech expensive boat... 3 lights, [ O O O ]<pic when the left is lit up, you need to steer more right, when the center one is lit, you are headed straight.

i am a genius! i will be expecting my checks any day now from malibu, mc, nautique, etc....
Old     (houdini)      Join Date: Aug 2005       04-30-2008, 11:46 AM Reply   
brit... i hear ya... these people are smarter than me... i trust they can figure it out.

obviously if this is my only idea, i am pretty happy with my boat... i am stretching with this one.
Old     (02wakesettervlx)      Join Date: Jun 2001       04-30-2008, 11:46 AM Reply   
Billy,

I second the tower clamps. I hear that it's not going to be a problem in 2010.
Old     (ironcross25)      Join Date: Jul 2006       04-30-2008, 11:58 AM Reply   
I would make my motor run on lake water. Just back herin, fire her up,and walla you have an unlimited supply of gas!
Old     (ironcross25)      Join Date: Jul 2006       04-30-2008, 11:59 AM Reply   
I would make my motor run on lake water. Just back her in, fire her up,and walla you have an unlimited supply of gas!
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       04-30-2008, 12:25 PM Reply   
I don't like where the stereo is located in the armrest, would be nice to incorporate it into the dash. The new boats are even worse.
Old     (bmartin)      Join Date: Jan 2007       04-30-2008, 12:36 PM Reply   
Efficiency Improvements: So many possibilities here like vector propulsion, smaller more efficient engines mounted to a smooth operating 2 or 3 speed tranny, diesels (maybe not with diesel prices though), propane. Probably lots of other stuff that could be done, but the manufactures seem intent on stuffing more and more bling into the boats. I know I will not buy another boat unless there is some significant fundamental improvement in this area.

Option wish list: wake plate / trim tab. Little faster balast fill.

Engineering / QC Defects: More sturdy 12v lighter sockets, stronger hatch / seat pistons, a wake that wasn't so sensitive to weight placement, a 'plug n play' perfect pass installation where you didn't have to splice wires, and a gel coat not susceptible to blisters. This may not be possible or a bit picky, but it would be nice to have easier impeller access and having a starter mounted higher where it is less prone to water damage.

Overall I think I have a good boat that I got at at a great price so I am satisfied.
Old     (jv210)      Join Date: Feb 2006       04-30-2008, 1:02 PM Reply   
nu bu, get a remote, who doesn't use an Ipod these days.
Old     (enzostyle)      Join Date: Aug 2006       04-30-2008, 1:11 PM Reply   
would it be too much to ask for a friggin trash can!!?
Old     (pfort)      Join Date: Mar 2007       04-30-2008, 1:13 PM Reply   
Built in trash can
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       04-30-2008, 1:47 PM Reply   
The Nautique 220 & 230 have built in trash cans.
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       04-30-2008, 2:02 PM Reply   
Wow Jason thanks for the words of wisdom you're a genius thank you .

(Message edited by 05mobiuslsv on April 30, 2008)

(Message edited by 05mobiuslsv on April 30, 2008)
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       04-30-2008, 2:39 PM Reply   
Fuel meter and range display, like is so easily available on cars.
Old     (ericlee)      Join Date: Apr 2007       04-30-2008, 2:42 PM Reply   
Refrigerate coils in the built in cooler....Buying ice adds up!!!! I second the bad placement of the stereo on the arm rest being a terrible place.
Old     (brucemac)      Join Date: Dec 2005       04-30-2008, 3:14 PM Reply   
i wish mine had the ballast system similar to the newer calabria and mb's.
Old     (ccryder)      Join Date: Apr 2002       04-30-2008, 3:41 PM Reply   
I wish the interior storage space was designed with a little more thought on my SAN.

For stereos that are a pain to access, an automatic volume control could do the trick...
Old     (lakeski)      Join Date: Dec 2006       04-30-2008, 4:09 PM Reply   
I wouldn't change anything about my Toyota Epic boat. It's almost 9 years old, but has the fit and finish rivaling many new boats (less bling, of course). The Lexus engine is fuel efficient with plenty of power. The depreciation has been almost non-existent. I could probably sell mine for what I paid for it, if not more. All in all, not bad.

Of course, some new marine engine technology that boosts fuel efficiency even more would be great!
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       04-30-2008, 4:22 PM Reply   
One other thing I would like changed would be to have a storage location that stays dry in a rain storm and from wet people. Dry towels and gear is nicer.
Old     (2manytoys)      Join Date: May 2007       04-30-2008, 5:15 PM Reply   
My vote is for the boat that runs on water... or maybe a small nuclear reactor... hell if submarines can run for years off of it.. why not our boats..Just another way the government is screwing us..
Old     (ord27)      Join Date: Oct 2005       04-30-2008, 5:33 PM Reply   
great idea eric
I just wish the cooler were insulated

and the battery storage area locked
Old     (srh00z)      Join Date: Jun 2003       04-30-2008, 6:03 PM Reply   
I am all for making mine run on lake water. Seriously, it would seem as though there is room for improvements in efficiency. Variable pitched props? Multi speed transmissions? Straight Veggie oil diesel
Old     (trentj6930)      Join Date: Oct 2007       04-30-2008, 6:51 PM Reply   
Art, we finally just bought a couple of kayaking sacks that are waterproof and throw them in the storage compartments, works great. Now if I could change one thing it would be the price!!! It is alot of money for a few months of pleasure each summer.
Old     (lcky275)      Join Date: Jul 2002       04-30-2008, 7:42 PM Reply   
Fuel flow meter instead of gas gauge.
Old     (bobenglish)      Join Date: Mar 2008       04-30-2008, 7:51 PM Reply   
I second less noise. Thank you fresh air exhaust for at least giving us an after market noise reducer. Better efficiency and technology as well. The 1980s motor technology is getting old. Simply adding bling really does not move the water sports forward. Heck, outboards display more modern engine design than our inboards.
Old     (jtnz)      Join Date: Sep 2007       04-30-2008, 8:20 PM Reply   
More power, more ballast, more music.

Variable pitched props would be cool but imagine the bill you'd get if you wreck it.
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       04-30-2008, 8:44 PM Reply   
What new gear box technology is going to improve your mileage 100%. No way that's going to happen. It takes energy to push your boat through water. If you want efficiently don't buy a wake boat.

FAE to reduce noise, I really miss my FAE. I bought a pair a silencers for my new boat. They are supposed to reduce noise by 8 to 12 dB or 82%. We'll see how that works.

Water in to fuel, stay in school kids.

Changing prop pitch will only improve mileage if the prop is slipping at the speed tat you operate at. I don’t know much about props. I’m skeptical about this one, is there any merit to this thought?

Differential GPS could tell you how straight you’re driving. Don't the slalom skiers measure how straight the driver drives already?

I want a cup holder for the driver at dash board level, not by my feet.
Old     (ironcross25)      Join Date: Jul 2006       05-01-2008, 5:39 AM Reply   
I would love an open bow on my 86 supra, but its my first boat so the next one I'll get an open bow, perfect pass, tower....well a lot more than what I have now.
Old     (seattle)      Join Date: Mar 2002       05-01-2008, 6:11 AM Reply   
A closed bow pre 06 SAN hull with a removable hard top. Some of us ride in cold weather.
Old     (pierce_bronkite)      Join Date: Jul 2003       05-01-2008, 6:18 AM Reply   
Reverse mechanism that actually reverses in the direction you want to go.

Gas that doesn't shoot out of the gas cap whenever Im filling up at the pump.
Old     (brit_rider)      Join Date: May 2004       05-01-2008, 6:23 AM Reply   
"Gas that doesn't shoot out of the gas cap whenever Im filling up at the pump."

HEAVEN!!!!!!! :-)
Old     (tj_in_kc)      Join Date: Jan 2008       05-01-2008, 6:48 AM Reply   
I have the 07 Sony stereo in my bu. What i can't believe is that with my 6 preset radio stations, i can't switch between them with the Sony circle remote that's near my knees. I have to use the armrest stereo, which is a major pain.
Old     (tj_in_kc)      Join Date: Jan 2008       05-01-2008, 6:51 AM Reply   
Also, it can be pretty tough controlling the boat at slow speeds. i hate pulling into dock to let someone on or off...if it didn't look bad i would ring my boat in fenders.
Old     (lovin_the_wake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       05-01-2008, 7:11 AM Reply   
the color scheme
Old     (derby)      Join Date: Nov 2005       05-01-2008, 7:28 AM Reply   
Drivability, Loaded up this thing is a b!atch to get around those tight sloughs and have a little extra in case of emergency maneuvers.

This is the ONLY thing I would change. Ok maybe the PP pick up could be in a better place too and the swivel racks that I changed three times. But who's counting.
Old     (srh00z)      Join Date: Jun 2003       05-01-2008, 3:08 PM Reply   
I was thinking variable pitched props would help you run more efficiently for different situations. Certain pitches for better holeshots, different pitches for cruising speeds and so on. The mechanism would be big bulky and prone to failure, but I think there could be some improvement in economy and performance.
Old     (woreout)      Join Date: Aug 2006       05-02-2008, 7:13 AM Reply   
I would like to see a parking brake on the trailers.
Also on my X2, I wish you could remove the pylon in the middle of the sun pad, like you can some of the other MC's.
Old     (dabell)      Join Date: Apr 2007       05-02-2008, 7:21 AM Reply   
Show, you might want to view this. Running on water is not impossible.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9iWaCMbw60
Old     (brucemac)      Join Date: Dec 2005       05-03-2008, 12:26 AM Reply   
i'd fire the MC guy who fired the MC contractor guy for the 05 MC X2 tower. i'd hire the first contractor guy that got fired and tell him to fix it. 86 the lightning and work on that 05 X2 tower a bit more. keep the 205V hull forever and put my new guys tower on the new X-3.

but that's just me.
Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       05-03-2008, 8:28 AM Reply   
Ballast system comprised completely of hot chicks, each with a 5 gallon can of premium, and a case of Coronas (1 has to bring lime popsicles).
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       05-03-2008, 8:38 AM Reply   
Billy, I think you just miss looking at how nautique made a perfect boat in 1995.

I just wish all the "options" on a wakeboard board just came on it...big ballast, board racks, etc. etc....

great this boat is only 45k, oops forgot to add the $600 board rack option, oops forgot to add a trailer....boat companie nickel and dime people soooo bad, that just needs to stop..... soon the prop won't even come standard but the price will still go up
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       05-03-2008, 10:32 AM Reply   
David, that's pure nonsense. If you could easily turn water in to HHO and then burn the HHO to generate electricity to make more HHO than you started with you'd have a perpetual motion machine.

It takes more energy to separate H2O in to HHO than you get back out of it.