Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Trick Tips

Old     (helix_rider)      Join Date: Mar 2003       07-01-2007, 4:07 PM Reply   
I just got access to a few sliders, and other than wearing a helmet, I'm looking for some pointers on hitting my first slider. There is a box-like thing that is wide and has slanted edges that should not be a problem, a flat bar that is probably 2 ft out of the water (low right now), that I won't be trying to ollie on just now, and then a lower flat bar with ramp leading up to it. Do most recommend simply trying to ride it 50/50, or do a boardslide?
Old     (ericlassiter)      Join Date: May 2007       07-02-2007, 1:31 PM Reply   
you might want to try 50/50 at first to get the feel of riding up/timing your cut to the rail. as you get comfortable with your timing, then all you have to do is ride out to the rail a little further and move the handle across your body like you're doing a 180....but keep the board perp. with the rail....then you'll be doing a front board slide

once you are sliding across the rail, try to focus on sliding the entire rail. this will require a bit more speed coming into it as well as being in a good position as you slide across the rail. remember your driver has a lot to do with your performance, so make sure they know what they're doing. the driver usually has to accelerate a little as you're sliding and they need to keep their line driving and not pull you off.

once you are sliding across comfortably, try to land switch off the rail, or blind or even do a handle pass off the rail.

then work on doing a spin across the rail. the easiest is probably a back board (i think i have it right) where you ride up almost 50-50 and just put the handle to the small of your back. you can also do it from a front board slide...whatever you like the best.

then......you can try to ollie up on the rail or practice trying to press.

i'm not an expert rail rider by any means...just my .02
Old     (helix_rider)      Join Date: Mar 2003       07-02-2007, 4:51 PM Reply   
Thanks for the tips. I am worried about catching an edge on the rail. I saw some video a couple of years back where Soven took a serious face plant onto the rail...busted him up pretty bad...and he's a pro. I just want to leave the session pumped about coming back...not swearing off sliders forever :-)
Old     (dlwsrider)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-03-2007, 10:39 AM Reply   
haha Relentless was a great video loren.

to this effect, always look over the rail before you ride it
Old     (ericlassiter)      Join Date: May 2007       07-03-2007, 12:15 PM Reply   
i want to say there was a gap in the rail he was sliding.......pretty nasty as i remember