Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (phenom_1819)      Join Date: Jan 2008       11-15-2010, 11:09 AM Reply   
The impeller housing is in a less-than-ideal location in my boat (a 2007 supra 22v with 340 cat engine) -- directly below the cat system, with no visibility of the impeller itself. I imagine there a few other owners of cat-equipped boats on here that have faced this challenge...

I removed all bulkheads and panels for access, and was able to remove the housing cover, exposing the impeller. But given the awkward angle and lack of visibility due to the catalytic converter being in the way, I cannot seem to get enough leverage to get the impeller out of the housing.

Thanks to a suggestion via the search function here, I tried spraying silicone lube into the housing and cranking (not starting) the engine, and puling it out with needlenose pliers... but no luck. My arms and hands are destroyed, and the impeller is still in there (though a bit torn up now). Anybody have any advice? Are there any tools that might be helpful?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by phenom_1819; 11-15-2010 at 11:11 AM.
Old     (kikitlo)      Join Date: Jul 2005       11-15-2010, 11:58 AM Reply   
I have a similar issue with my Malibu. What I ended up doing last year that worked out real well was I just pulled the whole pump off the pulley. Three bolts on the pulley and 1 bolt on the support. Put the pump on the bench and was able to get the impeller out with no issues.
Old     (jon_a)      Join Date: Feb 2003       11-15-2010, 12:32 PM Reply   
I think you mean that the muffler is in the way. The catalyst in the engine is actually in the exhaust manifold on the engine. The best thing to do is just to invest in an impeller puller. Fold the port side engine wall down and lay in the storage compartment. Reach in from the side with the puller and it will come right out.
Old     (texastbird)      Join Date: May 2003       11-15-2010, 12:44 PM Reply   
^^ Yep
Old     (Jeff)      Join Date: May 2010       11-15-2010, 2:32 PM Reply   
I have a big muffler on the back of mine but no cat. I used a pair of paint can openers to pull my impeller the last time. Just hooked them around the back and pulled. It worked pretty well when I couldn't get it out with any other common tools.
Old     (phenom_1819)      Join Date: Jan 2008       11-15-2010, 3:38 PM Reply   
Yes, muffler... sorry I assumed the muffler and cat system were one and the same. I will try wd-40 tonight, if that (or some other trick yet to come) doesn't work, then an impeller puller will be on the way. I didn't even know such a tool existed. Thanks for the tips, keep them coming!
Old     (phenom_1819)      Join Date: Jan 2008       11-16-2010, 11:19 AM Reply   
30 minutes with needle-nose vice grip pliers and wd-40 did the trick. That sucker was on there tight. Thanks for the help, guys!