Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (ironcross25)      Join Date: Jul 2006       02-03-2010, 5:28 PM Reply   
so im looking for gramps beef tri tip recipe that was posted over summer. I couldnt find it in the search. So if yo by chance read this gramps I would love that recipe to try for the game. I had on my computer and it is gone. Thanks again
nick
Old     (akman)      Join Date: Apr 2002       02-03-2010, 7:47 PM Reply   
Glad to help out.

I get a double pack of tri-tip from Costco, one can of pickled jalapeno peppers, one small clove of garlic and one bottle of chipotle spicy BBQ sauce or use a spicy dry rub.

Cut the jalapeno peppers into small slivers, do the same with the garlic.

I take a sharp knife and just poke straight into the tri-tip starting at one end and making holes 1" apart all the way down to the other end. I stagger the next row doing the same thing 1" apart below the first row between the cuts above, I do this all over the entire tri tip on both sides. I stuff each and every hole on that thing with a piece of jalapeno pepper and a piece of garlic.

If you plan to use the dry rub only, rub olive oil all over both sides and lather that thing up with the rub. I put mine in a tupperware dish and let it sit over night.

If you plan to use the spicy chipotle sauce, put the tri tip in a 1 gallon freezer bag and pour the chipotle sauce and some of the jalapeno pepper juice into the bag. Squeeze all the air out of it and let it sit in the fridge one full night.

The day you plan to eat give yourself an hour and 15 minutes to cook. Fire up the grill, let it heat up for 15 minutes on high. Turn the burners to low heat and throw the tri tip on the grill. I turn mine over every 7 - 10 minutes for an hour. Take it off the grill, let it rest for 10 minutes and start cutting. The sides will be medium to well, the next third should be medium and the inside section should be medium rare. You have a selection for all types, those that like it well, those that like it medium and those that like it a little pink.

The spicy chipotle sauce mixed with the jalapeno juice will give it a spicy, smoky flavor, with just a little bite to it.

Good luck and let me know how it turns out.
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       02-03-2010, 7:50 PM Reply   
you forgot the sailor jerry with coke zero!!
Old     (bp22)      Join Date: Oct 2006       02-03-2010, 8:03 PM Reply   
mmmm good...
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (ironcross25)      Join Date: Jul 2006       02-04-2010, 7:11 AM Reply   
thanks. I will let you know.
Old     (ironcross25)      Join Date: Jul 2006       02-04-2010, 7:12 AM Reply   
My mouth is watering just looking at those pics
Old     (john211)      Join Date: Aug 2008       02-04-2010, 8:15 AM Reply   
http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/740787/746034.html?1260622880
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       02-04-2010, 9:02 AM Reply   
mmmm mmmm...
Old     (greatdane)      Join Date: Feb 2001       02-04-2010, 9:20 AM Reply   
That looks great but a bit over cooked for my crowd. I cook my tritip for 3-3-8-8 H-H-L-L and let it rest 15 minutes for a dark external sear and a very pink medium rare center.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       02-04-2010, 10:20 AM Reply   
Just called my local grocer. In Texas, we have look pretty hard to find someone who even knows what a tri-tip is. A friend from Cali turned me onto a guy who knows the cut and can order it.

Got one ordered for Sunday!! YES!!
Old     (bond)      Join Date: Nov 2002       02-04-2010, 3:19 PM Reply   
FYI - Boys ALWAYS ALWAYS cut you Tri-Tip agaisnt the grain, if it is a big piece cut in 1/2 then slice length wise.
Old    wakeridinrob            02-04-2010, 3:22 PM Reply   
^^ TRU DAT ^^
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       02-04-2010, 3:30 PM Reply   
Tri-Tip sandwiches are one of my favorite things about my buddies from Goleta. They slow cooked it hanging in a BBQ barrel I think. We slice it up and make sandwiches with it. We use San Francisco rolls, salsa and fresh guac. Damn those sandwiches are good.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       02-04-2010, 3:44 PM Reply   
If you want to get to know your tri-tip, you need to get in the habit of massaging your meat . Double bag it with your marinade and work out all the little knots in the meat, then let it chill overnight. Takes it to the next level of delicious and when someone inevitably asks what you are doing you have crude man humor at the ready!
Old     (bg__dereks_mom)      Join Date: Aug 2009       02-04-2010, 3:46 PM Reply   
Stop already. You guys are making hungry. I'm fortunate my son is a meat cutter. Plus he enjoys cooking. Think I'll give him a call at work today. HMMMMMM maybe he will bring me some good Tri Tips
Old     (lizzyb)      Join Date: Sep 2005       02-04-2010, 3:56 PM Reply   
Definitely trying this recipe this weekend.

Thanks Gramps!
Old     (rio_sanger)      Join Date: Apr 2007       02-04-2010, 4:08 PM Reply   
We'll be enjoying one saturday night in the desert! Can't wait Upload
Upload
Old     (rio_sanger)      Join Date: Apr 2007       02-04-2010, 4:34 PM Reply   
good in tacos too!

Upload
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       02-04-2010, 4:55 PM Reply   
Oh man.... I just opened this thread at the wrong time of the day. I've got 2 more hours to wait for dinner and I'm hungry already.

I may just have to have a few rum/cokes to sooth my stomach. Ha, ha.
Old     (akman)      Join Date: Apr 2002       02-04-2010, 6:13 PM Reply   
My favorite way to cook them is over charcoal on low heat for an hour. Something about cooking over coals with a sailor and coke makes me happy!

I prefer to marinate them at least 1 full day in a freezer bag. I double bag them and work the sauce around real good. The spicy chipotle sauce mixed with some of the jalapeno pepper juice gives them a nice bite.

I usually do one straight BBQ sauce and one with the chipotle and jalapeno so people can have a few choices. My favorite side food to cook with Tri Tip is Asparagas over charcoal with a little olive oil, the dry rub and salt and pepper.

The dry rub I use is from a store up in Paso Robles, my buddy has an uncle that makes it and he sends me 5 lb boxes of the stuff.

I like to cook 3 or 4 of em at a time and just let people go to town.

SLOW COOKING is the key, let it rest and go cross grain like Mike said.

This is by far my favorite big group meal at the river after a day of riding. Light the coals, go for an evening glass run, come back throw the meat on the grill and babysit the grill as I have a couple of cocktails.

Chris, next time you head to the river let me know, we can plan a tri tip meal as the sun goes down.

Let me know how they turn out. Happy grilling.

On the patio grilling in Tahoe while yacking on the phone with my wife.

Upload

I broke in my Bull Angus 30" grill with the flavor of tri tip for it's "seasoning"
Upload
Old     (blastmaster)      Join Date: Aug 2001       02-04-2010, 6:26 PM Reply   
A quick tip: Seek out a "needler" from ebay, amazon etc... Poke the meat a bunch on both sides before seasoning. It breaks down the tendon some and they get way more tender and take more flavoring from the marinade, rub etc...
I was given one as a gift and am amazed how well it works on trip tip, london broil, brisket. pork tenderloin etc.. Can transform a lesser quality cut of meat into a masterpeice of envy.
Rick
http://www.amazon.com/Jaccard-Supertendermatic-Tenderizer-Knife-Stainless/dp/B001347JK6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1265336400&sr=8-1

http://www.amazon.com/Norpro-7032-Professional-Meat-Tenderizer/dp/B00004UE7Y/ref=sr_1_14?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1265336400&sr=8-14

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Omcan-Meat-Tenderizer-48-Needles_W0QQitemZ180460095238QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH _DefaultDomain_0?hash=item2a04428706

(Message edited by blastmaster on February 04, 2010)
Old     (stanfield)      Join Date: Mar 2004       02-06-2010, 1:17 PM Reply   
For those in TX, you can get Tri's at Central Market if you have one of those around.
Old    alanp            02-06-2010, 1:27 PM Reply   
i made a really good chili the other day from a recipe i found on yahoo.

Taco Soup(alot more like chili than soup)

2 lbs ground beef(i used spicy turkey sausage the whole pack(6 links) after cooking them i cut them into bit sized bits.

1 large onion, chopped

1 can pinto beans(i used spicy pintos)

1 can whole kernel corn, drained

1 can stewed tomatoes, Mexican-style

1 can Rotel tomatoes

1 package taco seasoning mix

1 package Original Hidden Valley Ranch dressing (dry)

i added one jalapeno chopped and added it with the onions and sausages.

i also threw in the pot one can of black beans

2 1/2 cups water or more, to make soup broth

Brown ground beef/sausages and onions in a large pan, and drain off fat. Add remaining ingredients and simmer for an hour or so.
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       02-06-2010, 1:59 PM Reply   
Stanfield you can get Tri Tip at Costco as well in Texas.
Old     (detonate69)      Join Date: Apr 2001       02-06-2010, 4:55 PM Reply   
Got my tri tip marinating right now. Can't wait to bbq that baby tomorrow. I'm using a garlic bbq sauce to marinade rather then chipotle though. Some of the family doesn't like things to spicy.
Old     (bg__dereks_mom)      Join Date: Aug 2009       02-06-2010, 7:15 PM Reply   
Everybody must have the same idea. My son, ( a meat cutter) just called. Said he has no idea when he will be able to leave work tonight. They are swamped with people buying meat for the game tomorrow. A lot of Tri Tip being sold. He also said he is going in at 7:00 A.M. tomorrow. That is an hour earlier than usual.
Old     (ironcross25)      Join Date: Jul 2006       02-08-2010, 7:01 AM Reply   
made the tri tip and it was amazing. I cooked it a touch to long. I like it a little more rare in the middle but my grill must run a little hotter on low. I got two and only made one since we had so much food. Are super sunday spread had a big pot of jambalaya, the amazing tri tip, nachos, deserts, beer, no sailor jerry but I did have some captains. Thanks again gramps for this awesome recipe.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       02-08-2010, 8:01 AM Reply   
Cooked one as well. The cut seemed like a glorified skirt steak and I was concerned about it being tender. Cooked it on med heat for about 40 minutes, turning it every 5 or 6 min. Came out excellent!!

I used Gramps' recipe as well. My favorite part is when you cut along a row of jalepeno and garlic pieces you end up with a little piece of each for every bite. Delicious!!
Old     (sound_illusions)      Join Date: May 2005       02-08-2010, 9:42 AM Reply   
Hey GRAMPS made the tri tip for super bowl yesterday and it turned out great! We made 2 tri tips, one was the jalepeno and garlic chipotle tri tip, and the other was a horse radish rub tri tip. I will get the ingredients for the horse radish one and u guys can try it out. Thanks for the recipe gramps.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       02-08-2010, 11:34 AM Reply   
Man, I keep opening this thread and getting really hungry. We're off to the desert this weekend. I may have to get a tri-tip maranading.

Yumm!
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       02-08-2010, 12:50 PM Reply   
Evan, do it brotha. Only marinated for 2 hours, but the meat was melt-in-your mouth tender. A couple days longer would just be crazy good.
Old     (akman)      Join Date: Apr 2002       02-09-2010, 5:50 AM Reply   
Glad to hear everyones BBQ turned out so well and more than happy to share the recipe.

Gramps
Old     (bendow)      Join Date: Sep 2005       02-09-2010, 6:23 AM Reply   
I want to try it...but no one seems to know what Tri tip is here in San Antonio
Old     (bg__dereks_mom)      Join Date: Aug 2009       02-09-2010, 8:27 AM Reply   
Ben,

My son said to ask the meat cutter for the triangular roast. It is the bottom tip, triangular shaped part of the sirloin. Usually about 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 pounds.
Old     (bond)      Join Date: Nov 2002       02-09-2010, 4:19 PM Reply   
That would eaither be a Ball Tip Right?
Old     (bg__dereks_mom)      Join Date: Aug 2009       02-09-2010, 5:57 PM Reply   
He said ball tip is from the same area. Both from bottom of the sirloin. Ball tip is a little leaner.
Old     (phantom5815)      Join Date: Jul 2002       02-10-2010, 3:17 AM Reply   
I say you need to keep looking for a butcher in San Antonio who knows their meat. It is s standard cut and there is only one from each side of beef.
Old     (wakerider42)      Join Date: May 2002       02-10-2010, 5:59 AM Reply   
Gramps, sounds great. I've seen this on here before, but just haven't made it yet. I definitely need to!!

I also prefer more pink throughout. So good!!

Is the dry rub "Rub With Love"? My in-laws up in San Luis Obispo know the guy who makes it or something. It's definitely killer. They always send us off with like 3 jars of the stuff.
Old     (bg__dereks_mom)      Join Date: Aug 2009       02-10-2010, 10:35 AM Reply   
A lot of areas outside of California, use the Tri Tip to ground up for sirloin burgers. You will probably have to ask the Meat Cutter for a special cut.
Old     (craig_xti_88)      Join Date: Apr 2009       02-10-2010, 11:07 AM Reply   
Hey guys...whats the best way to serve the tri tip? We'll probably fix it this weekend :-)
Old     (bcoppinger)      Join Date: Sep 2002       02-11-2010, 7:20 AM Reply   
I have been inspired...bought a tri-tip last night and going to start the process tonight! This thread makes me hungry every time I look at it.
Old     (rio_sanger)      Join Date: Apr 2007       02-11-2010, 12:30 PM Reply   
Another favorite of mine is to use Gramp's exact same recipe, but with a pork loin roast. Picked one up at Costco today, and will be cooking it tonight! mmmmmmm
Old     (rio_sanger)      Join Date: Apr 2007       02-11-2010, 6:43 PM Reply   
Well here it is, stuffed it today, and cooking it right now. I know, should have marinated overnight, but I couldn't wait!
Upload
I'll give it about 15 more minutes (or one more beer)

(Message edited by rio_sanger on February 11, 2010)
Old     (bcoppinger)      Join Date: Sep 2002       02-14-2010, 3:22 PM Reply   
We cooked ours Friday night in the snow! Turned out great and it will defiantly become a regular dish around our house. Thanks Gramps!
Old     (wakerider42)      Join Date: May 2002       02-22-2010, 7:30 AM Reply   
Made this Sunday. Holy crap, it was amazing!!

The meat had absorbed all that flavor from the stuffing and the marinade. I stuffed the hell out of that thing - every slice had jalapeno and garlic in it. The garlic was kinda sweet, which was really nice with the chipotle and jalapeno flavors. My wife didn't find it too spicy at all.

Anybody considering making this needs to DO IT NOW!!!

Oh, just a word of warning, my BBQ which was set all the way at low (after throwing on on high and turning down), still had this thing cooked to medium-rare perfection in 30 minutes flat. Don't overcook it. I couldn't make it cook slower since the grill was already as low as it would go.

Happy grilling and thanks Gramps for a great recipe.

Danny