Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through September 23, 2004

Old     (socaldave)      Join Date: May 2002       08-26-2004, 9:40 AM Reply   
No, not thongs, beads and bolt-ons, just some clean family fun this past weekend.

Everyone knows riding at Havasu is hit-and-miss, so here's how we fill the time....

Close-up
Sunsetter VLX

Sunsetter VLX

Notice the commotion in the background!

Lauren (8 years old)

Sarah (5 years old)

Cannonball!

The wife and girls
Old    swass            08-26-2004, 9:42 AM Reply   
What's that thing that Sarah is riding?
Old     (toyotafreak)      Join Date: Sep 2003       08-26-2004, 9:47 AM Reply   
Dave, only got a couple pictures with my camera - Mama Crowe has the others... So cool to see your daughters up and riding (mine won't ride 'till she gets a Hello Kitty wakeboard).

toyotafreaks

Yes, we did stumble across the thongs, beads and bolt ons.
Old     (john)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-26-2004, 9:48 AM Reply   
Looks like a Skim Ski. Sort of a pre-training ski.
Old    byerly137pro            08-26-2004, 10:00 AM Reply   
You love Toyota so much that you put logos on your boat, that seems kinda lame, but thats just my style, do what you want with your boat.
Old     (flackpack)      Join Date: Feb 2004       08-26-2004, 10:07 AM Reply   
Derek - where did you get the bimini? It's huge and perfect for Havasu.
Old     (thane_dogg)      Join Date: Jun 2002       08-26-2004, 10:07 AM Reply   
Alex - Toyota made ski boats a couple years ago.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       08-26-2004, 10:22 AM Reply   
I'm sure a lot of things seem lame to a 15 year old kid. When you're all grown up you can buy your own boat and do what you want to it.
Old     (socaldave)      Join Date: May 2002       08-26-2004, 10:51 AM Reply   
Swass, its called the "Ski Skimmer"...Overton's has it for $100.

My dad made one about 30 years ago that weighed about 30 lbs.

This is nice, lightweight...kids love it. Best way we've found to get them behind the boat. We beach start with them. I actually saw a little girl deep water start last weekend by herself.

Old     (stanfield)      Join Date: Mar 2004       08-26-2004, 10:59 AM Reply   
"You love Toyota so much that you put logos on your boat, that seems kinda lame, but thats just my style, do what you want with your boat."

It's a Toyota boat smart guy.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       08-26-2004, 11:03 AM Reply   

quote:

You love Toyota so much that you put logos on your boat, that seems kinda lame, but thats just my style, do what you want with your boat.

it's kinda lame that you're rippin' on someone, and you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.
Old    jonnyrotten79            08-26-2004, 11:37 AM Reply   
FO SHO DUMBA$$
Old     (ttuclint)      Join Date: Sep 2003       08-26-2004, 11:45 AM Reply   
what a moron

http://members.cox.net/txtek321/ban.jpg

(Message edited by ttuclint on August 26, 2004)
Old    whitechocolate            08-26-2004, 11:56 AM Reply   
I feel stupid. but not as stupid as Alex should.

I didnt know Toyota made a V-drive. I thought all there boats were DD's

history lesson please,

1. How long did Toyota make boats for?
2. How many difrent models did they make
3. What were the engine packages you could get. I remember seeing one and when he showed us the motor it was a Lexus V-8 the same motor used in the Lexus LS-400.

Cool photo's
Old     (puckinshat)      Join Date: Sep 2003       08-26-2004, 12:27 PM Reply   
Grant,

I think the lexus engine was the only engine avialable and if i remember correctly, they were only made for two years in the late 90s. Most critics say the hull produces a not so great wake, but with the engine being a lexus, fuel economy and engine noise must have been great. But, i have not even seen one, yet alone ride behind one.

This got me thinking, are any wakeboats made outside the usa?
Old     (toyotafreak)      Join Date: Sep 2003       08-26-2004, 1:34 PM Reply   
First, thanks for the backup while I went to lunch.

They made about 500 boats between '99 and '01 model years. Pulled out right after 9/11. Also built a piper-looking plane during that time and scrapped it too. There were three hulls; 21 ansd 22 foot d-drives and a 22 foot v-drive. The v-drive was sold as the SX (wet floor, tower standard, etc.) and the S22 (tower optional, no stock ballast). The 21 came in one trim only (ski boat, but tower was avail). The 22 d-drives included the X22 (ballast and tower standard) and E22 (trimmed like the S22).

The hulls actually throw a super fun wake - very clean and neither rampy nor peaky - respond to weight well, too. The main problem is that with a stock prop, you just can't put much more than 2K in it. Some guys have recently dropped pitch with an ACME 3-blade and report good results over 2500 and a decent crew.

The engine's more like a Northstar than anything else - highly efficient, tight specs, LONG maintenance intervals. the engine/tranny is 600 pounds and it's rated at 300HP and 315 Ft-Lbs. Not bad for 240 cubes, huh? All-aluminum, twin double overhead cams, 32-valves, variable valve timing, variable intake length, eight coils, ZF Hurth tranny, Walter v-drive, computer dash, servo-driven gauges, Accuski (ughh) electronics standard equipment. Redline is 6K.

Got a bitchen trunk across the back that'll hold 2-3 boards or a Big Bump and a Micro Squirt ;-)

The two biggest problems with the boats is that Toyota will not support them indefinitely, and the engine is just not as torquey as a 350. Accuski is a drag for a normal boat, but is even worse with ours. Perfect Pass is working on a solution for us.

With a consistent mix of unballasted, 1500 pounds, and low and high speed cruising, we've been averaging well under 4 gallons per hour. This weekend we finally raced the Centurion (350 Magnum) from sitting still to mid 30s. They had two more people, but we did get 'em out of the hole and kept pulling. Racing don't mean anything with a 43 mph boat, but I was pretty happy to see it's not the big dog that most peeps will tell you it is.

If you're interested, check out www.epicmarine.com for info and our community. There are some amazing deals out there considering you get a boat built better (not messing, either) than a CC for half the price.
Old     (wakestar8878)      Join Date: Oct 2003       08-26-2004, 1:44 PM Reply   
What year is that Malibu Sunsetter VLX? Is it Direct Drive or V-Drive?
Old     (socaldave)      Join Date: May 2002       08-26-2004, 2:16 PM Reply   
Shawn its a '99...V-Drive.
Old    byerly137pro            08-26-2004, 2:18 PM Reply   
Wow are my cheeks red, I admit I do feel like an idiot and I deserve it, and sorry to David Boyer for raggin about something I don't know about.
Old     (wakestar8878)      Join Date: Oct 2003       08-26-2004, 2:23 PM Reply   
Very, very NICE!!!

Duh....hince the VLX.

What year did they start making the Sunsetter in a V-Drive?
Old     (toyotafreak)      Join Date: Sep 2003       08-26-2004, 2:25 PM Reply   
No tworries, Alex.

Flack, Corona, represent !!! I had the bimini built last year by Sew What in Hesperia. None of the local guys (e.g. Adlee's) wanted the hassle of building a bimini to my design. The Sew What guy did it, but almost like it was a favor - much better business to do the cookie cutter ones. It is just awesome at the river, but is a hassle in terms of where to mount boards, etc. Send me an email and I'll kick you the breakdown. Or we can meet at Smellsomewhore one day.

Old     (socaldave)      Join Date: May 2002       08-26-2004, 3:21 PM Reply   
Shawn, I think in '96.

BTW, checked your profile and link to Fast-Freddy's. I worked on the Mazda mktg account for 3 years. Drove one of the first pre-production RX-8's to hit the US...awesome.
Old     (wakestar8878)      Join Date: Oct 2003       08-26-2004, 3:40 PM Reply   
Sweet...You should come check out our shop sometime.

Since you live in Orange, are you going to the Street Fair this year? If so I live right off the traffic circle, and if you'll be in the area, drop me an e-mail, wakestar8878@hotmail.com, maybe we can get together.
Old     (deepstructure)      Join Date: Jun 2002       08-26-2004, 6:36 PM Reply   
darin shapiro actually rode for toyota for awhile...
Old     (priapism)      Join Date: Mar 2003       08-26-2004, 9:55 PM Reply   
Derek,

Nice hair style.
Old     (dallas141)      Join Date: Jun 2004       08-26-2004, 11:01 PM Reply   
Hey, is that Havasu Spring Resort area, I jumped off that same rock about a month ago.
Old     (socaldave)      Join Date: May 2002       08-27-2004, 9:52 AM Reply   
D-Money, yes it is...the rock is just north of Parker Dam on the Calif. side. The third pic is Havasu Springs in the background.
Old     (villageidiot)      Join Date: Feb 2004       08-27-2004, 4:08 PM Reply   
Y'all can see why Derek is our official Head Librarian of the Epic Archives. Well said, Derek.
Old     (toyotafreak)      Join Date: Sep 2003       08-27-2004, 9:56 PM Reply   
Thanks Dave for not getting pissed on the hijack ;-)

Sean, I told you the hair's getting me all the hotties now. Bought my boy a drysuit so we're gonna be looking to go at least every other week. Hope you're down; I mean up. Or whatever.

Cal: Cyclone also authorized me to be the Mr. Manual Search Engine.
Old     (priapism)      Join Date: Mar 2003       08-27-2004, 10:06 PM Reply   
I'll be down with it and up on it!