Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through April 09, 2007

Old     (spin2win)      Join Date: Feb 2006       03-22-2007, 3:00 PM Reply   
Hey guys I was wondering how I can open a dealership.
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       03-22-2007, 3:02 PM Reply   
can I run your pro shop? haha.
Old     (spin2win)      Join Date: Feb 2006       03-22-2007, 3:11 PM Reply   
hell yea. I think we need a MC dealership around here. Im tired of all the malibu's. (not talking trash they are sick boats) But why give Tillys no competition. They are making bank....
Old     (spin2win)      Join Date: Feb 2006       03-22-2007, 3:13 PM Reply   
or EPIC...Umali whats the deal with a dealership
Old     (zuka666)      Join Date: Aug 2005       03-22-2007, 3:34 PM Reply   
$$
Old     (njskier)      Join Date: Jul 2005       03-22-2007, 5:00 PM Reply   
Looking at your profile, I think you're over-qualified! :-)
Old     (spin2win)      Join Date: Feb 2006       03-22-2007, 5:01 PM Reply   
looking for a litttle more specific
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       03-22-2007, 5:09 PM Reply   
Ryan,
first off, I think $$$ is a factor. If I were you, I would contact MC directly. let them know you are possibly interested in selling their product in X area. or, you could email Chris Anthony with Epic. he could probably give you a good answer. he is always forthcoming and will give you an answer.
Old     (spin2win)      Join Date: Feb 2006       03-22-2007, 5:22 PM Reply   
I think that I can come up with the investors to open a dealership. Where do you guys see Epic in 5 years? I remember when toyota had epic boats and they started pretty good. They towed Gravity Games and boats were sweet for 2001. The reason why I think a MC dealership would kill it out here is simple. MONEY. You can pull from LA to Santa Barbra. However, I dont know how realistic it is first to find a good location and second the regulations for distance to other dealers. Thanks for the advice. I will try calling the companies directly.
Old     (snyper1d)      Join Date: Mar 2005       03-22-2007, 9:29 PM Reply   
Nothing against Epic, but If you have the chance and the investors to open up a dealership with the top 3 manufacturers...jump on it. Epic is a new company and will more than likely be a good boat down the road, but the established manufacturers will have a much more reputable name with customers.

Remember there is alot more than just boats to worry about. Customers also need service for their boats. Alot of the customers I work with take this into alot of consideration when deciding on a purchase.
Old     (kel_dub)      Join Date: Feb 2006       03-22-2007, 10:37 PM Reply   
Besides money, I think customer service is the absolute #1 aspect of a successful business. When customer service declines your business will too. Good luck!
Old    bocephus            03-23-2007, 7:21 AM Reply   
I would just go copy Century Marine in Mesa, AZ or maybe Buxton Marine. Copy those guys to the letter and a dealership would do well.
Old     (kbrowning)      Join Date: Jun 2006       03-23-2007, 7:44 AM Reply   
I am sure it will vary by region, but in the midwest you see a lot of dealers come and go...even representing the big name manufacturers. The business model requires pretty heavy overhead in terms of facilities and a large floorplaned inventory with the high boat values today. If you have the capital and want to do it because you love it and could use a write off for other business it could work. If you talk with bigger successful dealers that are making good net year after year, they would probably tell you it took them a long time to get to that point or they had some breaks go their way. Location and buying demographic, which i am sure you are well aware of, will be huge.
Old     (paublo)      Join Date: Jul 2002       03-23-2007, 7:45 AM Reply   
Obviously it takes some money to start a dealership. And customer service has to be near perfect. But you are no better than the people that work for you. They have to be competent at their jobs and have that customer service mindset. I run a business with 75 employees in two offices and the hardest part is finding and keeping good employees. It is hard to find good people. I would hire a good employee with mediocre skills before hiring a mediocre employee with good skills. You can teach skills, but you can't teach someone to be a good employee.
Old     (hbguy)      Join Date: Jun 2005       03-23-2007, 9:55 AM Reply   
Isn't there a Mastercraft dealer in Valencia? If so, I don't think you could pull from LA to Santa Barbara.
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       03-23-2007, 10:05 AM Reply   
I think there is a MC dealer in valencia. champion watersports or something like that.
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       03-23-2007, 11:48 AM Reply   
what about skiers choice? I think the closest dealer is bakersfield or fresno?
Old     (tanner)      Join Date: Oct 2005       03-23-2007, 12:59 PM Reply   
You'll want to contact your local sales rep. They'll tell you what you need.

They'll want a business plan.
Usually 5-7 boat original purchase (sometimes more depending on who it is).
Initial start up starts out about $500K. And that's just gets you in the door.
Most companies will want you to be liquid in the amount of XXX,XXX dollars in case it takes you a while to get started or you have a bad year.
Old     (curtisco24)      Join Date: Dec 2005       03-23-2007, 7:00 PM Reply   
Must be different in Cali. Here in TN. you don't have to have near that much money. You do have to stock a certain number of Mastercrafts, but you do not have to stock a given number of Skier's Choice or Malibus. If you have a good business name in the community it should be pretty easy to get started.