Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (madlab)      Join Date: Apr 2006       08-09-2006, 5:56 PM Reply   
Have been experimenting with different set ups with stock ballast and wedge, but I don't seem to be getting it right. Our bu has 4 ballast tanks with the power wedge. Thanks for the feedback-Jason
Old     (fullspeed)      Join Date: Oct 2005 Location: Santa Cruz County CA       08-09-2006, 11:04 PM Reply   
JASON,
I have an 06 VLX. I bought the Launch Blocks 4 of them and 1 XL block. They are easy to move from storage to storage with out draining and refilling all the time. Block is 85lbs and xl block is 150lbs. I put all 4 in the storage locker I am riding on. Then I put the 150 on the floor in front of the back bench seat. Full ballast on the side I am riding, 1/2 full on the center and 3/4 full on the bow. 4 to 6 people on the riding side as well. THe wake is pretty good. I have had little luck with the wedge, but my buddy that has an 06 as well has been weighting the boat the same and puts the wedge down all the way. To me it is too steep. I ride a Phase 5 Ooogle and I think the wake is nicely ramped to ride with out the rope @ 10.2 mph. Sometimes a bit faster in speed does clean it up.
Old     (souperfly)      Join Date: Apr 2006       08-10-2006, 8:15 AM Reply   
Here's a 06 WS VLX w/power wedge and 400lbs of lead in the left pocket. Wedge at 7/8th down and about 7 people.

Upload
Old     (wakeboardertj)      Join Date: May 2005       08-10-2006, 5:12 PM Reply   
that wave is insane. Thats the best looking wave i've ever seen. 400 lbs of lead on top of the 250 ballast? thats insane.
Old     (souperfly)      Join Date: Apr 2006       08-10-2006, 8:59 PM Reply   
Hey put the lead under the seat and there was about 7 of us in the boat. That was the first time he ever took his boat wakesurfing. The boat owner is the one in the pic w/the blue hat.
Old     (souperfly)      Join Date: Apr 2006       08-10-2006, 8:59 PM Reply   
And sorry, that is the LSV wakesetter, not the LSV
Old     (souperfly)      Join Date: Apr 2006       08-11-2006, 7:40 AM Reply   
Man I was tired last night. It was a LSV, not a VLX
Old     (madlab)      Join Date: Apr 2006       08-18-2006, 12:20 PM Reply   
Thanks for the input. I'm having a 550 # bag made for the port locker. I've heard the weight shouldn't be a problem, although Malibu only recommends 75# in that locker. I'll post pics when it's set up.
Old     (dgoose)      Join Date: Feb 2005       08-20-2006, 10:48 PM Reply   
This is my set up on an 03 VLX
full front and surf side tanks.
600lb in locker
700lb on surf side set moved forward.
As for the 05-? VLX they like LB's up front. Try putting a 400 in your walk way.
Old     (dgoose)      Join Date: Feb 2005       08-20-2006, 10:55 PM Reply   
a few pics as wellUpload
Upload
Upload
Old     (npitz)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-21-2006, 2:50 AM Reply   
Anyone found a '06 21.6 VLX setup that works with just the factory ballast and/or wedge? We board and surf with an occasional skier (and the poor guy is already suffering trying to ski behind the VLX wake ) so we're hoping to avoid lead/fat sacs if possible.
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       08-21-2006, 9:35 AM Reply   
Greg, looks like you’ve got you VLX listing pretty good, I bet that makes a good surf wake; now let's see some pictures of the wake.

Nichole, we ran an ‘06 VXL at the Scioto Wakefest this month. The VLX put out a pretty good wake with very little fussing with weight. We used an 800 lb sack on the floor, 350 lbs of pop bags, and a 400 lb sack in the port or starboard locker and had 10 to 11 people in the boat for the competition, the wake was really nice. The local Malibu rep let us use his boat and told us to “Load it Up”. You might need to watch the rear lockers; I think that they’re rated for something like 75 lbs. Maybe you can add some support.

For the Wakefest clinic we had seven people in the boat, a 400 lb sack and 350 lbs of weights and pop bags, again we got a very nice surfing wake for both the regular and goofy surfers.

I think you could get a way with a 400 to 750 lb sack in the rear locker and about 300 lbs of smaller, moveable water filled ballast in the crew area.

We only had a few days to work with the VLX surf wake but we we're all impressed with how easy it was to get a good wake.
Old     (dgoose)      Join Date: Feb 2005       08-22-2006, 2:26 PM Reply   
I need to resize a few pics first. Give me a few days to get back home and make it happen.
Old     (hyperlitenrd)      Join Date: Jan 2003       08-22-2006, 2:33 PM Reply   
Looking good greg, I dont know if it was listing that much when I was there.
Old     (dgoose)      Join Date: Feb 2005       09-05-2006, 2:13 PM Reply   
A few pics for you.Upload
Old     (dgoose)      Join Date: Feb 2005       09-05-2006, 2:13 PM Reply   
A few pics for you.
Old     (dgoose)      Join Date: Feb 2005       09-05-2006, 2:18 PM Reply   
clean
Upload
Upload
Old     (dgoose)      Join Date: Feb 2005       09-05-2006, 2:20 PM Reply   
Upload
Upload
Old     (jpk)      Join Date: Sep 2005       09-05-2006, 3:59 PM Reply   
What speed/RPMs do you run at?
Old     (badbob13ftw)      Join Date: Dec 2005       09-05-2006, 5:58 PM Reply   
06 vlx... factory ballast in center (full) ...either ballast at rear (full)... manual wedge down... all peeps on same side (usually 4-5 adults) ... 3 kids in bow
Upload
Upload
Old     (dgoose)      Join Date: Feb 2005       09-06-2006, 12:03 PM Reply   
speed is at 10 - 10.7
full ballast on surf side, wedge, 2 600lb on surf side and one 400lb up front.
Old     (caskimmer)      Join Date: Apr 2006       09-06-2006, 2:55 PM Reply   
Greg, have you tried a little more weight and not using the Wedge? That's a very nice wake but I'm betting it could be even better without the Wedge.

In my experience the Wedge does 2 things (and both are more pronounced on the starboard side)
Without adequate weighting a "ledge" forms halfway up the wake and everything above it is session ending "dead water". This pic looks like a big wake when in fact everything above his left hand is dead water.
Upload

With enough weight this feature is eliminated from the actual wake face but is now located as a "secondary" wake that washes out the surfing wake.

Taking the Wedge out of the equation was one of the best things to happen to my wakesurfing this summer. That and having good equipment.
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       09-06-2006, 8:58 PM Reply   
Those wakes looks tall and short. The following are goofy wakes from the 06 VLX we had at the Scioto Wakefest, only had a few days to dial in. Photos by Don Carrier.

Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (cassetteboy777)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-06-2006, 9:36 PM Reply   
Hey GREG (dgoose) i can't tell, are you weighing down the port side?
Old     (dgoose)      Join Date: Feb 2005       09-08-2006, 12:06 PM Reply   
Sean Ward (caskimmer) What boat are you running? I have ran it both ways to see what is the best and for me the wedge helps biuld the wake higher and also puts a nice curl to the wake. For us (guys that can ride ok - good)we don't have that ledge or dead water. We carve up, down, and can pick speed back up if we don't fall to back to much. The one thing I would like to learn and am working on, is that pop off the top of the wake to get air like in your profile pic.
I don't think I'll be adding more LB's to the boat any time soon. 3000# puts my side boards vary low and almost any boat with out a great driver can swamp me. That is to say if I had the boat in a comp I would drop more #'s in the front.

Taco. Yes and No (what pic) I have ALL the weight and people on one side. I will even drive from the other side of the boat to shift my weight to the other side.

Edward Have all your people on surf side. That one guy can change the wake greatly.
Old     (clubmyke)      Join Date: Aug 2004       09-08-2006, 12:25 PM Reply   
greg,

we are tweeking shannons 04 vlx... the wedge does work but it washes out the back of the wake...i would think any thing that large plays around with the wake too much ( one sided little wedge would be worth trying)

we are looking for a little more "drive" so we can fall back and speed up..

we weigh our nautie 211 with 1600 lbs and 2 people(300 lbs) and there is a alot of drive and is a "launch pad" as sean would say ( and a very cool barrel)..
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       09-08-2006, 4:22 PM Reply   
Greg,

We generally have everyone on the one side. It was a pretty full boat, no open seats on the surf side of the boat. If you look closely I think you’ll see that Jim G. has a camera in his hands. Jim and Don C. took lots of great surfing pictures at the event. I’m more than willing to let photographers on a wakesurf boat and sit where they need to take good event pictures.

I'm keenly aware of the need to have the boat list hard. However from that one experience I’d say that VLX doesn't need to list as hard as my boat to get a good surf wake so it really didn’t matter much. I think that the VLX is a pretty good surf machine.

I don't have many opportunities to surf behind other boats. That said we're getting about four boats together in Indiana on the 23rd. The Walker Project, Shred Stixx, Inland Surfer are going to send demo boards out for what we’re calling a gathering.

My goal is to ride three new boards, surf two new wakes, and learn one new trick:-)
Old     (dgoose)      Join Date: Feb 2005       09-11-2006, 2:27 PM Reply   
What a great goal Edward. Didn't know the pics where from a comp. sorry. I wish Jeff would set an event up in my area so that I could check it out or even help out with things.
I agree the VLX ?-04 has one of the best surf wake's around. The 05-07 are a little harder to make as sweet a wake.

Caddy what is ment by "drive" sorry not hip to the grove. what I would love to have is a waist high wake that runs 30ft back. The only boat that I have seen come near that is the Bu 247 with 3 sacs and 1/4 wedge.
Old     (bfa)      Join Date: Dec 2005       09-11-2006, 9:26 PM Reply   
We use our wedge on our 05 V-ride but the thing that improved our wake the most was having someone hang off the side by the tower. My husband has a harness for work so we used that a few times, worked great. This picture is without the harness, thought I had one with it but I guess not.
Upload