Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through July 28, 2004

Old     (kristian)      Join Date: Nov 2002       06-24-2004, 1:18 AM Reply   
Just gotta say this is one of the coolest contests, I wish I had Illustrator program.
Who remembers WBM's design a graphic from way back. there were some great graphics that came out of that.
So if anyone does enter feel free to share with us.
Old    leslisa            06-24-2004, 5:04 AM Reply   
Where is the contest? I am out of the loop, but I'd love to tell my daughter about it. She thrives on stuff like this.

Thanks!

Lisa
Old     (cs1094)      Join Date: Jun 2002       06-24-2004, 6:41 AM Reply   
I think the concept is cool, I think Leslie Kent rocks (met her at TSR), but I think the extensive guidlines as to all of the things she is looking for is a little out there. Its one thing to have a theme for it, but to say "She wants two pictures in a roll of film on top, trees on bottom with the roots turning to flames, and here is a picture we came up with of what she wants." Thats my only beef with it. I saw the headline of the contest was was so stoked. I was ready for some more original artwork, but this just seems like we will get some slightly varied work because so many things are set. Not hating, just wish it was a bit more open.
Old     (mango)      Join Date: Mar 2004       06-24-2004, 6:53 AM Reply   
I agree with you Cody. I also think their should be more incentives because that would take a long time to do and they might not even like it.
Old     (wakeguru)      Join Date: Feb 2003       06-24-2004, 8:25 AM Reply   
I guess it's a chance for someone to finish the details and have their artwork displayed on a board, which is cool. There's still room for some creativity though.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       06-24-2004, 9:29 AM Reply   
It's a cheap way to get a graphic, they are down to crunch time & these things can be expensive & this way they can probably write the stuff off as a business expense & still seem cool by giving stuff away. It's a good little marketing/business idea. What can I say, I'd do it it I had some skills
Old     (kristian)      Join Date: Nov 2002       06-24-2004, 9:47 AM Reply   
Lisa, on the WW homepage
Old     (dococ)      Join Date: Mar 2002       06-24-2004, 1:05 PM Reply   
I think that finding a way to express your artistic style and creativity within the parameters of a pre-determined conceptual framework is part of the challenge. Tattoo artists do this every day. I guess that very few people would walk into a tattoo shop and say, "I want a tattoo across my back, just put anything you think would look cool." No, instead, you discuss your concept or vision with the artist, and it evolves from there. In the end, you have a design that you more or less thought up, but anybody else truly familiar with the genre could look at it and recognize the tattoo artist who did the work. This is the mark of a master in the trade.
I think that Leslie is looking for something along these lines. That said, I'm sure there probably is some truth to what Stephen has written, but in the end both parties most likely will benefit.
If you're an aspiring young artist, this would look pretty good in your portfolio, in additional to all the free shwag. I also would try it if I had some skills.
Old    r_dub            06-24-2004, 1:20 PM Reply   
Very good point, docter octagon!
Old     (drewsmug)      Join Date: Jul 2003       06-24-2004, 5:06 PM Reply   
too bad wakeboarder doesn't equal artist
Old     (solo)      Join Date: Oct 2001       06-25-2004, 3:03 PM Reply   
You guys,

Leslie and I got together because her friend, that was originally designing her board, had prior commitments. I thought it would be a good idea to have a contest and get some gear to a WW reader as well as have their own graphics on a signature board. The parameters to the design are conceptual and can be rendered. Every entry will be reviewed by Rob Hyatt, Gator Leslie, myself and Dave Williams. New Ideas and concepts will be taken into concideration. If something is really cool, Leslie may decide to choose it. We have received a number of entries already and only have another week to decide. Get cracking! We've got a lot of schwag to give away!
Old     (wes_can_riders)      Join Date: Feb 2004       06-25-2004, 3:35 PM Reply   
heres my idea

hope ya like it Leslie
Old    lachlantait            06-27-2004, 12:13 AM Reply   
If you read what she says she wants...... thats not it ^^^
Old    leslisa            06-28-2004, 6:02 AM Reply   
Hmm, my daughter will be working on this. Regardless of who wins, after the contest, I would love to see the submissions.

Lisa
Old    buergday            06-28-2004, 9:29 AM Reply   
Here's my 1st attempt...
I gave up on her base graphic concept for the time being - maybe on my next design. But I think the feather with the water droplet looks cool, and is kind of symbolic of her light-as-a-feather riding style. Who knows, maybe she'll like it?!

Old     (jonm)      Join Date: Jan 2002       06-28-2004, 9:32 AM Reply   
How much do I get paid for this again?
Old    dyonisus            06-28-2004, 6:24 PM Reply   
This does look like a cool contest where do you enter, here???
Old     (ryin)      Join Date: May 2002       06-28-2004, 8:24 PM Reply   
damn, i need some kind of illustrator program, i wanna design some stuff.
Old     (kristian)      Join Date: Nov 2002       06-28-2004, 9:30 PM Reply   
Slater: http://www.wakeworld.com/contests/2004/gator.asp
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       06-28-2004, 10:32 PM Reply   
a board that looks like a gigantic joint...think that's eligible?
Old     (mango)      Join Date: Mar 2004       06-29-2004, 6:31 AM Reply   
the back of the board looks like my fingerprint.
what font did you use for Gator Boards?
Old    buergday            06-29-2004, 9:37 AM Reply   
Mango-
The Gator Boards text on the base graphic was a modified high-res scan from a GB ad. I scanned it, recreated (traced) it in photoshop, cleaned up the lines, added a bunch of layer effects (beveling, shodows, etc.). The rest of the fonts are modified freeware fonts from various online resources. The base photo is a feather with a water drop on it - not a fingerprint.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       06-29-2004, 10:39 AM Reply   
Nice work dave. That's SWEET!
Old    buergday            06-29-2004, 11:02 AM Reply   
Thanks J-Rod!
Here's a totally off-concept design I came up with. It has absolutely nothing to do with what she'd invisioned, but I felt like doing my own thing on one of them. I also figure that there are no even slightly edgy ladies board graphics out there. So instead of flowers and bunnies and butterflies, I tried a different approach.
Old    emoney            06-29-2004, 11:20 AM Reply   
Nice designs everyone but whats up with all the photoshop art? Lets see some of the Illustrator designs...
Old    buergday            06-29-2004, 11:28 AM Reply   
I agree emoney - lets see some other peoples work too.

And show us some of your work emoney. You're a graphic artist, so I know you submitted something.
I'll do something in Illustrator later today and post it too.
Old    buergday            06-29-2004, 11:29 AM Reply   
By the way - what do you have against Pshop art?
Old    emoney            06-29-2004, 11:32 AM Reply   
Absolutely nothing at all against photoshop I work with it everyday, just want to see some vector based artwork.....
Old    emoney            06-29-2004, 11:33 AM Reply   
By the way Dave I like your skeleton where did you get that from?
Old    buergday            06-29-2004, 11:37 AM Reply   
"want to see some vector based artwork..."

right on - I'll post one later today...

Checked out your profile & homepage - I like the urban-inspired look of your work. What types of stuff do you design? Are you at an agency or do you freelance?

(Message edited by buergday on June 29, 2004)
Old    buergday            06-29-2004, 11:39 AM Reply   
It's a slightly modified royalty free image from my image library. I've always wanted to use it on something, but I work at a bank, so there's not much need for animal remains in our marketing!
Old    emoney            06-29-2004, 11:43 AM Reply   
I'll email you...
Old     (toolfan)      Join Date: Jul 2003       06-29-2004, 11:54 AM Reply   
SWEET!!!
the bones theme kinda ties into the Harris board.
the frog just need a bling, maybe a gold crown...like the air freshener. and some toe rings.

i would also like to see a where's waldo type thing behind the clovers that looks like the lucky charms guy.
Old    buergday            06-29-2004, 11:55 AM Reply   
I'll take that into consideration on my next round of revisions!
Old    ace_skate            06-29-2004, 10:29 PM Reply   
Design #1
Old     (solo)      Join Date: Oct 2001       06-29-2004, 11:40 PM Reply   
Very cool stuff guys!
Old    buergday            06-30-2004, 9:22 AM Reply   
Hey Ace-
I can't see your design. Did you forget to attach it, or is my computer f-ed up?
Old    buergday            06-30-2004, 9:25 AM Reply   
Steven-
Is there only going to be a 1st place winner, or are there runners-up too?
Old    emoney            06-30-2004, 9:53 AM Reply   
Hey Buergday I think Ace was saying that he liked your 1st attempt.......
Old    buergday            06-30-2004, 11:27 AM Reply   
OK - now I know I've gone way off course with these designs, but I thought that the frog model above needed a living counterpart for the 131 model, so here's another frog. Don't bother reaming me for getting off track - I'm just having fun, and I'm not submitting this.
Old    ace_skate            06-30-2004, 8:10 PM Reply   
My computer did not put the post up ....
-ACE
Old     (solo)      Join Date: Oct 2001       06-30-2004, 9:58 PM Reply   
Gentlemen and Ladies,

FYI

"Final artwork will need to be supplied in the CMYK format at full size."
Old     (solo)      Join Date: Oct 2001       06-30-2004, 10:02 PM Reply   
P/S, only one winner will be chosen.
Old     (solo)      Join Date: Oct 2001       07-04-2004, 1:13 PM Reply   
Only a few days left to get your entry in. Gator and Hyatt are totally stoked on the stuff that has been coming in! Get crackin and send us some design concepts!

Steven
Old    snowdog            07-06-2004, 12:34 PM Reply   
Heres the bottom of one of my entries.

Leslie Kent Board 2 bottom
Old    buergday            07-06-2004, 12:36 PM Reply   
Thats tight man - oh well, I lose
Old    snowdog            07-06-2004, 12:48 PM Reply   
thanks, that film reel theme was a pain in the XXX, especially when matching it to a flame themed bottom. I will post it when it gets closer to the deadline.
Old     (mango)      Join Date: Mar 2004       07-06-2004, 12:50 PM Reply   
i like the wicked tree & flames. not sure if i like those stars though but i guess its a girls board
Old    snowdog            07-06-2004, 12:55 PM Reply   
Im not a fan of the stars either, but saw they drew 2 of them in the original sketch, figured they wanted some stars in there. It was the last addition to the design, here it is without:

kent board 2 without stars
Old    buergday            07-06-2004, 4:01 PM Reply   
My base design (the only one that I did that actually goes along with the theme)
Old    buergday            07-06-2004, 6:30 PM Reply   
Here it is with a topsheet concept

Old    megalomaniac102            07-08-2004, 9:22 AM Reply   
Where can i get a program to design the graphics on wakeboards? It looks really cool and I have a few ideas.
Old    snowdog            07-08-2004, 11:16 AM Reply   
You can use any Vector based graphics program. Some of the more popular design programs are Adobe Illustrator (.ai), Macromedia Fireworks and in some applications Quark. I have been using .ai for the past 4 years, its great, I am currently using .ai 11. I also use Fireworks MX for some projects. Hope this helps!
Old    emoney            07-08-2004, 11:18 AM Reply   
Hey Austin, Corel Draw 12 is pretty sweet also...
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       07-08-2004, 11:38 AM Reply   
snowdog, i don't mean to disrespect as it's a cool design, but it kinda reminds me of hype's 2000 mikala. looks good tho.
Old    snowdog            07-08-2004, 12:33 PM Reply   

HL_mikala_2000
Old    buergday            07-08-2004, 1:50 PM Reply   
snowdog - lets see your topsheet design man. Don't worry, we won't copy you.

emoney - I want to see some of your stuff too

Anyone else submit anything - lets see it!
Old    megalomaniac102            07-08-2004, 10:51 PM Reply   
where can i get some of these programs. Can i download them from the web or buy them from a store?
Old    buergday            07-09-2004, 9:45 AM Reply   
You might be able to download a few sketchy versions online, but you'll probably have to buy them at the store.
Old    snowdog            07-09-2004, 11:15 PM Reply   
here ya go, one of my earlier versions! Its still a work in progress.

GB KENT
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       07-10-2004, 12:16 AM Reply   
thanks for posting the pic of the mikala, snowdog, but yeah, i knew which board i was talking about.
Old    snowdog            07-10-2004, 10:31 AM Reply   
I totally see the resemblance ( ), but there are others that don't have your high level of wakeboarding knowledge!
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       07-10-2004, 10:44 AM Reply   
Hey snow dog, the stars dont really match the board since it is the only yellow color on the board and kind of sticks out poorly. And since the original design had stars on them, make the stars a different color like black or dark blue. I think it would match the board better and not look so out of place. The colors are mainly dark and putting bright stars doesnt seem fitting. Its your design so do what you want. just my oppinion
Old    snowdog            07-10-2004, 1:12 PM Reply   
Leo,
Thanks for the suggestion. Black is definitely better than yellow.

GB_Kent_black_star
Old    gw_mark            07-10-2004, 2:27 PM Reply   
I thought you were going to Shasta this weekend Joe? Isn't this the unofficial wakeworld gathering?
Old    gw_mark            07-10-2004, 2:49 PM Reply   
By the way, nice design Snowdog, looks like you are working hard on that design.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       07-10-2004, 2:51 PM Reply   
nah, i have some studying to do this weekend.
Old    gw_mark            07-10-2004, 3:18 PM Reply   
Looks like it would have been a fun week, a lot of people out there I guess.

So far I would have to say Dave's design is the best, very cool 3D effect.

(Message edited by gw_mark on July 10, 2004)
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       07-10-2004, 6:01 PM Reply   
yeah, my friends are there now. you could say i'm jealous...only 'cause it's shasta.

yeah, i think this one's the best one so far.
Old     (cocheese)      Join Date: Jul 2004       07-14-2004, 11:25 AM Reply   
Here are two designs that I have submitted.

Old    buergday            07-14-2004, 11:45 AM Reply   
Damn - those are hella good man. Whats up with swooping in at the last minute with the kick ass entries? Thats playing dirty. You ought to be ashamed of yourself.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       07-14-2004, 11:52 AM Reply   
NICE!! Roberts first design kicks ass.
Old     (mango)      Join Date: Mar 2004       07-14-2004, 11:52 AM Reply   
The contest is heating up!!!! 1 More day left FOLKS and it looks like its Buergday vs. Robert Arnold. Nice work!

snowdog did you ever submit your design?
Old    r_dub            07-14-2004, 12:09 PM Reply   
Can any of you artist out there draw "Japanimation" type artwork? I think it would be a cool idea to draw pictures of Leslie in the role of film instead of using real pictures. Or even base the drawings off of the real pictures. I think that would be pretty cool.
Old    buergday            07-14-2004, 2:02 PM Reply   
I'm not too great at japanimation, but that is a cool idea.
Here's another of mine...

Old     (cocheese)      Join Date: Jul 2004       07-14-2004, 3:10 PM Reply   
This is fun, I think all board companies should do this! Cool Design Buergday!
Old    buergday            07-14-2004, 3:40 PM Reply   
Yeah, I'm having a blast with these too! It'd be fun to design a guys board too.
Here's an alternate color scheme for the base of that last one. It's a little more "girly".
Old    part_timer            07-15-2004, 8:02 AM Reply   
Well, I just saw this contest on Monday, but I still threw something together to submit. It's not great, but maybe it will work.

Kent board design
Old     (solo)      Join Date: Oct 2001       07-15-2004, 9:01 AM Reply   
A message from LK:

"Yes I know it may seem vain that I want a picture of myself on the board, but this one picture is very special to me. All I want is a siloette of that one picture that appeared in the first add that was ever published of me. This picture means a lot to me because the sillouette of this shot was actually screen printed onto a t-shirt and sent to me by the wonderful people at end of the rope gang. It was one of the most special things to ever happen to me in my life. It just so happens that that silloete is from the best picture ever taken of me (in my opinion) and unfortunaly I no longer have the magazine it was printed in. So if this is something I will be able to have to represent my career as a pro wakeboarder to keep forever I definately want that silloet shot on there because it has lots of meaning to me. I wish I could remember which photographer took the picture, he was a good one. This is the one picture that shows up on the white picture for the top in between the 2 colorful bottom graphic drawings that are very similar. That is the only picture I want of my self on there. Those other illustrations are up to the artist to decide, but I like music so musical notes might be cool, a cool looking illustration of a camera or a video camera might or both would be cool too since I love photagraphy and cinnamatagraphy. A book with pen writting might also be really cool looking on the film strip too since that is one of my dreams in life (to write a book). It may even be cool to have a blank film strip with nothing but a blue sky and maybee a few clouds and some tips of palm tree frons since that is something that shows up in my video footage quite a bit these days. I would like to thank every one participating in this contest I appreciate it more than words can say. I would like to include all of these enteries in my book that I'm writing if that's OK and I will give art credit to all of you, so I will definately need to get contact info for all of you contestents who want to be included in this chapter of this book I'm writting. I would say I'm more of an aspiring author and film maker than actress, but when I think about it, I realize acting would probably be very fun and exciting, but for now I'm writing my book and making a movie/wakeboarding movie in my time off the water, cause no one can wakeboard all day long every day. It'd be nice though huh? Thanks
so much again every one for all the great enteries, you are all great artists, this is gonna be hard to choose. I also encourage all of you to stick with your art, you are all very talented artists, and art is a powerful tool and it can get you very far in life if you know what to do with it and keep it beautiful and filled with pasion."
>

> LK
Old    buergday            07-15-2004, 10:55 AM Reply   
Thanks for forwarding Leslie's message.
I'm sure any of us could easily incorporate that image into our designs. All we need to know is where to find it in a high enough resolution to reproduce well on a large scale. A nice high-res scan of the magazine page would probably work fine once cleaned up in Photoshop, but a scan of the original photo would be best.