Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (bendow)      Join Date: Sep 2005       04-13-2010, 5:06 AM Reply   
Who has the best mattress? I'm ready for a new one, I have a waveless waterbed and I'm absolutely sick of it. I figured since it's a place I spend 1/3 of my life I should get a good one. Has anyone tried temperpedic? I've never laid on one, but for the price they better be a damn good bed.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       04-13-2010, 6:19 AM Reply   
Temperpedic...hands down the best I've ever owned. I made the switch about a year ago. My lower back hasn't felt this good in years, lol.

I agree, very pricey, but worth it,.
Old     (Chuch)      Join Date: Mar 2010       04-13-2010, 6:31 AM Reply   
I was in the same boat and didnt know if we would even be happy with a Temperpedic style bed. I did some research and went with the best "knock off" I could from Bed in a Box. Its no temperpedic, but at 1/4 the price ($600), its done wonders for my back so far. I am not sure how it will hold up though. Picking a matress out is so damn dreadful to me. I cant stand the fact that I may spend any amount of money on something without the option of returning. Bed in a Box offers a REAL 90 day return policy for full credit and they pay for UPS to pick it up at your crib. It was a no brainer to try it out. If I had the cash, it would have been a temperpedic though.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       04-13-2010, 6:37 AM Reply   
Charles, my wife bought the matress, I was on the lake, lol. It came with a full 90 day guarantee from the store we bought from, and the warranty on the tempurpedic itself is 20 years??? or something ridiculous like that. We bought it 0 down, 12 months no interest. Made it a little more affordable.
Old     (sinkoumn)      Join Date: Jan 2007       04-13-2010, 7:04 AM Reply   
We used to have the deal like Charles - it was the 3'' thick temperpedic material that you laid over the bed, I hated it, was not comfortable (I hate how there is a 'sinking period' with the temperpedic, where you move or roll over and then wait to slowly sink down into the material).

We bought a new king sized pillow top from The Original Mattress factory, wasn't too expensive but is ridiculously comfy and I love the bed.

Just go to the store and lay on a bunch of them, some people like firm beds while others like soft. Pick which one works best for you.
Old     (brettw)      Join Date: Jul 2007       04-13-2010, 7:27 AM Reply   
Similar to tempurpedic - bought one online for a fraction of the price on Costco. If you don't like it, just call em up and say you want to return it, and they'll give you no hassle and pick it up. Before that I also used one of the 3 to 4" tempurpedic knock-off toppers on a regular mattress, and it worked great.
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       04-13-2010, 7:49 AM Reply   
I have heard that those Temperpedics make you hot when you sleep. Any truth to it?
Old     (nauty)      Join Date: Feb 2004       04-13-2010, 8:48 AM Reply   
I work for a furniture company and have access to try out most major brands, including Temporpedic. However, there is one brand that we do not carry that I feel is the best bedding set on the market and that set would be Select Comfort. Just as Malibu's power wedge can adjust the wake to many different sizes and shapes to suit the riders preference, so does the Select Comfort bed in regards to your firmness or softness preference. The benefit here is that a Select Comfort mattress really will last 20 years. As your body changes as you age the Select Comfort mattress can change with you to offer more or less support when needed. Most mattresses come with a 20 year warranty, but the truth is you need to change out your mattress every 5 years. A typical mattress just won't offer the same support after 5 years of use.

I personally have a Serta mattress and I am very happy with it. It's all preference though, what works for one will not always work for all. As I said, if I had the choice I would own a Select Comfort, but since I get cost on the products we sell it's hard to cough up $2k for a Select Comfort when I can get the top of the line Serta for $500. You really just have to try them out. Find a store that offers a 30 day trial period. If you don't like the mattress after 30 days they won't refund your money, but they'll let you exchange it for a different mattress. Just make sure you read the fine print or ask for details.

One thing to know when shopping for traditional mattresses.... Mattress companies will make mattresses to order for each individual retailer. This means that two retailers, for example, may each carry a Serta mattress that is constructed identical to each other, but the outer covers are of different colors and they both have different names. This is done on purpose to make it harder for consumers to price shop retailers. Fortunately the government stepped in and instituted a numbering system to enable consumers to compare mattresses from different retailers. When shopping for a mattress look for the materials tag on the mattress. This is the tag that by law cannot be removed by the retailer. There will be a number on this tag ranging from 1-10, etc. For example, if you see a mattress at one retailer from a particular brand and it's tag has a # 3 on it, and then at a different retailer you see a similar mattress with a # 3 but in a different color and with a different name (not brand name), they are the same mattress. Armed with this information you can now price shop the competition.
Old     (steezyshots)      Join Date: Feb 2008       04-13-2010, 8:50 AM Reply   
Tempupedic is the ONLY way to go!
Old     (boomboom)      Join Date: Apr 2008       04-13-2010, 9:10 AM Reply   
Love my Verlo!! We had it for about 6 years and it got low spots. Verlo brought us a temporary one while they fixed ours. NO questions asked!!! We have about 10 years on it now and it's ready to get re-fluffed again. Verlo said, "let us know when we can come get it and we'll make it right." That's service!!
Old     (Chuch)      Join Date: Mar 2010       04-13-2010, 12:03 PM Reply   
I know at least myself and 3 others who all got dupped into the Original Mattress factory deal. All 4 of us were done with the mattresses in about 5 years. I tried the cheaper knock off of the temperpedic recently because of things I had heard like.."the beds sleep hot". I figure this is my entry level and if it lasts 5 years, I am cool with it. At that point I might step up and buy the real deal.

I will say the bed sleeps warm. We've tried a few mattress covers and found one that helps build a temperature barrier. They make those deals now. We tried shopping around for about 6 months. By the time I tried about 50 of them in stores, I was as confused as the day I walked in. LOL
Old     (bendow)      Join Date: Sep 2005       04-13-2010, 6:44 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuch View Post
By the time I tried about 50 of them in stores, I was as confused as the day I walked in. LOL
Exactly! It's one of those thing where there are simply just too many to chose from.

I've heard a lot of people complain about tempurpedics being hot, and with San Antonio being 1000 degrees in the summer time makes me a bit hesitant.
Old     (jetskiprosx)      Join Date: Aug 2004       04-13-2010, 8:29 PM Reply   
My wife and I bought a new mattress this past year and we are in love with it! It solved a lot of our neck/back aches and my wife rarely gets headaches anymore. Our previous mattress was far too soft and we didn't realize it for the longest time.

Once we figured out that we needed a firm mattress we went shopping. Unlike most people, where there are tons of mattresses to choose from, for us there weren't that many. Apparently we are weird as most people hate an extra firm mattress lol. We got a 'Simon Beauty Rest World Class extra firm mattress for $1500 out the door. The original price was $2700. The sticker prices at most place a bull. They just set them high so they can mark them way down and make you feel like you got a great deal.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       04-14-2010, 6:49 AM Reply   
Ben, dont' know which one we have, but ours is not hot. It's just as hot or hotter in houston, and it's much more humid.
Old     (bflat53212)      Join Date: Mar 2003       04-14-2010, 7:55 AM Reply   
Richard, I just looked at the Select Comforts last night. The high-end ones also include a temperature controlling material that is supposed to hold the temp at about 77 degrees. They seemed very nice and we were set to buy it, but my lady started seeing lots of reviews with people complaining about how the middle of the bed having a hump and that customer support was horrendous. I'm not sure how true this is, but I am differently interesting in knowing the truth. I will say, some of these reviews appear to be on their older beds so perhaps the issues have been fixed.
Old     (nauty)      Join Date: Feb 2004       04-14-2010, 8:11 AM Reply   
Since we do not carry them I can't offer much help about their service? However, both my in-laws and my brother in-law have had them for years and love theirs. Unfortunately Select Comfort has a lengthy patent on their concept, so for the near future they are the only ones who make such a bed. When their patent runs out though, every bedding company and their mother will will have a version on the market.

For those of you who feel overwhelmed with the selection on the market, remember.... most stores carry the same mattresses. They are just disguised with different names and fabrics. Use the number system on the tag and the selection won't seem so large. Also, much like the electronics industry the bedding industry changes their styles every 6 -9 months. You'll run into some stores carrying last seasons styles, while another has the new line-up. This certainly can contribute to an overwhelming selection.
Old     (shellyrn)      Join Date: May 2006       04-14-2010, 9:47 AM Reply   
Tempurpedics suck......only because I can't sleep on anything else now!!
Old     (fatsac)      Join Date: Jun 2004       04-14-2010, 1:00 PM Reply   
Richard -
I'm dropping the hammer next week on a new mattress. Tempurpedic seems great but I do not like the feeling of sinking everytime I roll over. Maybe it's just me...
Overall, the Serta Daisy is my pick for most comfortable. Anything to look out for or is that a good choice? My only concern is it loses shape in a year or two. Thanks!!