Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 01, 2004

Old    wake10            07-25-2004, 3:08 PM Reply   
hey I have a Regal 27 SC it is alright for wakeboarding now but i want to make it better i can just barely clear the wake. I was thinking about getting a new moomba XLV but dont have the money right now so i was wandering if there is any way to make wakeboarding better on this boat. I dont have any aftermarket accessories. If you change the trim does it improve the wake??
Old     (tripleup)      Join Date: Apr 2004       07-25-2004, 3:27 PM Reply   
You can trim it up and that will help. Get a couple of Launch Pads new 440 lbs sacs and that will make it a lot better (one in bow, one in stern). Inboard is the way to go as soon as you can do it though. There are a lot of different ways to weight a boat. Use the search. Also just because the wake is bigger doesnt mean its easier to clear. You should work on staying on your edge a little longer riding up the wake or shorten your rope.
Old     (rson)      Join Date: Jun 2002       07-25-2004, 5:56 PM Reply   
Need a better boat :-)
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       07-27-2004, 4:50 PM Reply   
Paul,

I hate to say it but the problem is less likely to be the boat, more likely to be the rider. Shorten the rope and hold your edge to the lip of the wake. Smaller wakes are often easier to clear than bigger wakes.

Trim it up as far as you can with it cavitating or porpoising and work with the rope length. Can you Ollie?
Old    ilovetrains            07-28-2004, 12:10 PM Reply   
I find that on my i/o trimming does less to increase size than just clean up the wake. Of course it makes it harder to keep speed when trimmed up also. With a boat that big (27 ft?) I would think the shorter rope length would make tons of difference as you probably throw a much wider wake.
Old    wake10            07-28-2004, 4:46 PM Reply   
yea i can ollie and hit the top of the wake i can just barely not make it over
Old    wakecord            07-28-2004, 6:31 PM Reply   
I agree with Al and Mike. Most stern drive riders going off the transom eye are riding at 50' - 60'.

Trim it up, put an Edge or something similar on the cavitation plate, it flattens out the rooster tail. With a 27 footer (!!) wake height should not be a problem.
Old    jmccallum            07-29-2004, 12:04 PM Reply   
My 18' I/O runs best with 650 lbs in the ski locker and a 350 lbs bag in the bow/walkway. The trim makes a big difference.

PS we tried putting the 350 lbs in back and had speed holding issues (even with PP) and the wake wasn't as good.