Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 06, 2007

Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-19-2007, 12:52 PM Reply   
Has any body had their batteries die from wakesurfing. Ever time I go out I'll give a couple people a chance to wake surf and it will kill my batteries. Its like its not turning enough RPM to recharge the battery. So I had the altenater checked today and it was fine. P.S. this is with no stereo at all. Just wanted to know if anybody else had this problem.
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       07-19-2007, 12:56 PM Reply   
that seems strange... good luck
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       07-19-2007, 1:00 PM Reply   
was there a stereo at some point? drop the det's on boat issues. Especially like this...
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-19-2007, 1:02 PM Reply   
Stereo was on some but not loud
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-19-2007, 1:03 PM Reply   
Sorry what do you men det's on boat issues?
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       07-19-2007, 1:06 PM Reply   
Have you tested the battery? Test the connection from the alternator to the battery.
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-19-2007, 1:10 PM Reply   
I took both batteries out and had them tested both were fine. I've to put the altnater back in today but when i took it off everything seemed tight.

(Message edited by JONBLARC7 on July 19, 2007)
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       07-19-2007, 1:12 PM Reply   
So what voltage does it show at 1300 rpm? Do you have PP? It has a decent volt meter built into it.

Edit: you may need to take it to a shop with a good amp meter/battery tester, hook it up to water, and run it. Under a load you should see at least 45 amps out of the alternator.

(Message edited by peter_c on July 19, 2007)
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-19-2007, 1:14 PM Reply   
No perfect pass and thats one problem my tac is out. But it usually reads 13 to 14 on the gauge.
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-19-2007, 1:16 PM Reply   
Peter do you live in TN. The only reason i ask is my super sport say it is performance tuned for the Chandler's
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       07-19-2007, 1:21 PM Reply   
peter, is that double tank BC in your kayak?
Old     (sinkoumn)      Join Date: Jan 2007       07-19-2007, 1:22 PM Reply   
It doesn't have anything to do with the alternator not charging below a certain RPM? I don't know if that applies to your case, but that is the case with a lot of sportbikes not charging the battery until you reach a rpm of like 6k or some junk.

That's the only thing I can think of, but who knows, I hate when crap like that happens

(Message edited by Sinkoumn on July 19, 2007)
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       07-19-2007, 1:22 PM Reply   
details. was there ever a sound system in your boat?
Old    Ben Kerran            07-19-2007, 1:30 PM Reply   
Sinko may have hit it above. I do not see a significant jump in my volts until I hit around 1K RPM's. Still weird though if you are not even cranking the stereo? Any other accessories on while surfing?
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-19-2007, 1:31 PM Reply   
One 700w amp, sony 10" sub, and 4 tower speakers. But i tried not to run them while wakesurfing. And the batteries still go bad. Also when their starting to die it makes my boat run like sh^% and last time it sounded like it was backfiring.
Old     (sam8)      Join Date: Dec 2004       07-19-2007, 1:40 PM Reply   
Make sure the ground on the engine is clean.
Ultimately, all the flow in the negative cable returns to the block, then the neg. terminal of the battery.
If you have a corroded terminal, or a loose one on the block, it'll mess with the signal to the volatge regulator. Peter C. is right, you need to load test the system to isolate the problem. Wen your engine is spinning 1300 that alternator is going lots faster, and should be well into its "powerband"
I'd be courious as to why the tach quit, too. Sometimes minor electrical problems tend to be indicators of system health. A faulty ground somewhere can be a real pain...
Old     (sam8)      Join Date: Dec 2004       07-19-2007, 1:43 PM Reply   
Blair, that backfiring is due to a lack of voltage to the ignition system. get this problem solved before you run it much more. Sucking the battery(s) below 10.5 volts is hard on them, and the electronics on the engine. The old GM HEI's needed 13 volts or better to produce max spark, if memory serves.
Old     (lfxstar)      Join Date: Jul 2001       07-19-2007, 1:44 PM Reply   
i have one word for you...OPTIMA
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-19-2007, 1:46 PM Reply   
well this weekend I'm just not going to wakesurf But if i can't figure it out I'm going to take it somewhere.
Old     (sinkoumn)      Join Date: Jan 2007       07-19-2007, 1:55 PM Reply   
NO! You need to surf, just bring an extra battery in case the boat dies again.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       07-19-2007, 2:01 PM Reply   
Has the sound system been the same? or were batts/amps added or taken out?
Old     (rodmcinnis)      Join Date: Sep 2002       07-19-2007, 2:26 PM Reply   
How long do you surf for?

The alternator output is dependant on RPM, so at low speeds it won't be cranking out full amps. I would expect it to provide some, so unless you are really drawing the power I would expect it to be enough.

If you are still running the ballast pumps when you start surfing then turn them off! The pumps can draw a lot of current.

THe surfer is right next to the boat, shouldn't need the stereo as loud, turn it down.

Even with no output from the alternator at all I would expect fully charged batteries to give you a couple hours of surfing time before you had an issue. Perhaps the issue is that you are not starting your weekend with fully charged batteries and they never get a chance to charge.

Try putting your boat on a battery charger for a day or two prior to hitting the lake and see if that helps the situation out.

Rod
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       07-19-2007, 2:53 PM Reply   
Blair, I live in NorCal, but my last name is fairly common. Take it to a shop and have them test it. What is $35.00 or maybe a little more or possibly even less?? At least you will know where the issue is. The problem is not going to get better but worse. This is your warning, and if you choose to ignore it, well...

Have them test the alternator at a slower engine speed. It is common to have to bump the idle above 1200 to start the charging system, but once charging it should produce over 15 amps at idle. Make sure the alternator is properly grounded. If the engine ground was a problem it might not start. Are you running some kind of battery isolator? There could be a problem in there.

The alternator should be 55 amp alt. Testing it hot is a good thing too. Alternators will always produce less amps hot than cold. If you disconnect both batteries and then cleaned the alternator lead connections at the circuit breaker along with everywhere else, you may come upon the problem.

If you want to check it out yourself, try starting the boat, then check voltage at both batteries using a hand held volt meter. Then turn everything on in the boat and measure the voltage again. Do this at different RPM levels from idle up to 2000 RPM's. It should never drop below 13.7 volts, but if it reads 13.4 fully loaded you would probably be OK. Make sure to test it at the alternator wire, and it should be the same as seen at the batteries within .1 volt. If it does read different a set of jumper cables can be used to temporarily hook up a ground or positive wire.

So how many hours, and what is wrong with the tach? Anything else not work on the boat? Has the 60 amp breaker ever blown?

Nacho, that is a single tank (HP100) with a custom built backplate attached to a Oxycheq Signature wing. Works great whether diving the tropics with no wetsuit, or diving our cold waters in a drysuit. Doubles are great if you want to deco dive, but not what we need for most of our local diving adventures. Doubles do fit nicely in the tank well though.
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-19-2007, 3:36 PM Reply   
Yes I have had multiple problems with the 60 amp breaker blowing. It seems like everytime we go out it blows. It has about 240 Hours on it, and the tack has never worked!
Old     (themxercr85)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-19-2007, 3:47 PM Reply   
my batteries went dead after sitting in the marina for 3 days, and on the 4th they barely had enough juice to turn the engine but somehow it started, ive never heard of your problem
Old     (phatboypimp)      Join Date: Apr 2005       07-19-2007, 4:29 PM Reply   
Are your batteries secure? Is there a chance at that boat angle that they are grounding out against something?
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       07-19-2007, 5:54 PM Reply   
Start at the 60 amp breaker and go from there. I rewired my Nauty so the alternator had a nice fat lead going directly to my battery combiner. Cut the 60 amp breaker right out of the equation.