Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 25, 2007

Old     (natemower)      Join Date: Sep 2005       05-03-2007, 9:09 AM Reply   
Has anyone had this problem? The stereo is set up like this:

Deck is powering 4 6X9s with 50w per channel
Amp 1 is powering the two tower speakers
Amp 2 is powering the sub

This is for a friends boat so I don’t know exactly how these are hooked up but I do know this is only a 1 battery set up.
I do know that the cable to the battery looks a little weak in my opinion and he doesn’t have any “monster” cables in his set up.
Also, the ground wire from the amps and stereo are all spliced together and are grounded to the same point. We checked to see if this was the problem and made a second ground wire from the stereo to ground and the problem occurred.

If anyone else has had this problem please let me know what I need to do to fix it. This has happened on 2 of the 3 boats I have been on so I believe it is a common problem.

Thanks
Old     (jon_a)      Join Date: Feb 2003       05-03-2007, 10:06 AM Reply   
First thing I'd try is to add more power, throw 1 or 2 more batteries on that thing.
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       05-03-2007, 10:08 AM Reply   
If it just turns off at high volumes it may be trip[ing a breaker in the unit, amp, or circuit. If it's doing this it would reset itself after a few seconds to a minute and then work as before.
Is this what you are describing?

(Message edited by rallyart on May 03, 2007)
Old     (kikitlo)      Join Date: Jul 2005       05-03-2007, 10:09 AM Reply   
Is the Stereo turning off then coming back on when the volume is Lowered?

Do the amps just shut off or the entire system all together?
Old     (natemower)      Join Date: Sep 2005       05-03-2007, 10:21 AM Reply   
Yes Art, the stereo shuts off at high volume and then comes right back on when the volume is lowered. If this is tripping a breaker in the unit, how is this fixed besides replacing it?

Also, as the volume is increased, the display starts to flicker at the volume levels just before it shuts off.

we tried:
Disconnected the amp and antenna, same problem.
Grounded straight to the battery, same problem.
Power and accessory straight to the battery, same problem.

(Message edited by natemower on May 03, 2007)

(Message edited by natemower on May 03, 2007)
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       05-03-2007, 11:06 AM Reply   
The deck is not able to power the "watt sucking" 6x9's....cut the leads to the 6x9's...I can almost gurantee it will sovle your problem.

I just read yoru last post again...what voltage are you reading at the back of the HU? Is yoru battery fully charged? Could be low voltage related too.

(Message edited by acurtis_ttu on May 03, 2007)

(Message edited by acurtis_ttu on May 03, 2007)
Old     (natemower)      Join Date: Sep 2005       05-03-2007, 11:32 AM Reply   
We will try that tonight Adam.

However, the guy that owns the boat said the previous set up (before the tower speakers) had Amp 1 running the sub, Amp 2 running the 6x9s and the head unit running nothing. He said it still cut out when he turned it way up.
Old     (j3t_m3ch)      Join Date: Jun 2006       05-03-2007, 11:37 AM Reply   
Good luck man. I had the exact same problem and it turned out to be the ground. Hope its something cheap!
Old     (the_dh)      Join Date: Jun 2002       05-03-2007, 11:42 AM Reply   
I had the same problem. It was from my amps over heating. Make sure you have enough free space around the amps to let the air circulate so they don't get too hot. I had a bunch of vests that were acting like insulation causing mine to get hot and shut down till they cooled.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       05-03-2007, 12:56 PM Reply   
NAthan...I doubt it's the 6x9's then. Kani may haev nailed it , bad ground probably. Can you jump a ground and power wire straight from your battery over to the radio adn test that way? assuming you don't have a voltmeter.
Old     (insuranceman)      Join Date: Jun 2005       05-03-2007, 1:00 PM Reply   
since we are on stereo issues, i am getting horrible feedback on the right side speakers and the tower speaker when the engine is running.

stereo place thought they fixed it but after about a month it started again.
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       05-03-2007, 1:12 PM Reply   
Nathan, does the head unit go blank and then reboot when it cuts sound? You need to determine if it is the head unit or not. Lack of power at the head unit will surely shut the system down.

Insuranceman, start by unplugging the RCA connecters and see if the sound goes away. If it does unplug from the head unit and see if it comes back. If none of the above makes a difference, add a small capaciter inline on the power feed wire. That is a work around to the fact that the spark plug wires may be bad, or the coil(s) need a cap on them. Check where it is grounded, and that it is properly grounded and where the power feed wire comes from. You can also isolate the power wire by running the boat off one battery and placing another one not connected to the boat, but to the system. Sometimes running the RCA near a power wire can cause noise.
Old     (the_dh)      Join Date: Jun 2002       05-03-2007, 1:17 PM Reply   
Make sure all your amps are set at the same power level. Sometimes stuff bumps into the dial and turns down the power. I had that problem as well. Had to have one of my friends who is good with electrical come fix tons of random things like this for me.
Old     (poser007)      Join Date: Nov 2004       05-03-2007, 1:23 PM Reply   
My old boat used to do that. Turned out it was the alternator.
Old     (natemower)      Join Date: Sep 2005       05-03-2007, 1:32 PM Reply   
the alternator? How would that cause this problem?

I can understand if the battery isn't fully charged thus the head unit couldn't draw enough power...this problem would be linked indirectly to the alternator. Please explain.

thanks
Old     (joe_crawley)      Join Date: Jan 2007       05-03-2007, 5:27 PM Reply   
Probably isn't the alternator if you haven't killed the battery. Sounds like the deck is cutting out, which could be because of a low voltage situation. Could be a bad ground, but sure sounds like a head unit problem. It isn't an amp problem because that would only affect the speakers being driven by the amps. Could be as simple as a bad crimp going into the deck.

You need to disconnect the 6X9s and see if the problem goes away. If it does, check the crimps to the deck's connector. If they look good, it may be time for an amp.

AND FOR THE RECORD: Your deck pushes 7 watts at best to the 6X9s. At 14.4V. At 12V, with the boat off, we're talking a couple of watts. You heard me- like 2-3 WRMS.