Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through August 20, 2005

Old     (lives2wake)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-01-2005, 9:19 PM Reply   
Hi,
I just bought a 1985 2001 nautique a couple weeks ago and it's been in the water about 5 times. I put 14 hours on the boat and the shafted split in two and my prop spun up and damaged my hull (slightly) and now the prop is on the bottom of the river.
Obviously the prop and the shaft have to be replaced. Where can I buy these parts. Several people have recommended that I get a new shaft made up by a machinist but I would neet some specs on the length, diameter and threading...
Help! What do I do?
Old    munson            08-01-2005, 10:27 PM Reply   
Similar thing happened to me last year except my shaft just sheared while driving, right were it exits the yoke of the v drive. There was a collar on the shaft that kept it from flying away. So i still had all of the shaft not to mention the prop. Once i took it apart i put the two pieces together and i had a starting point as to which length i needed. You will also need to know the diameter, i think 1 inch and 1 1/8 inch are the standard (I could be wrong, Ive tried to forget). If you still have part of the shaft this wont be a problem. As far as length goes you will have to measure from the inside of the yoke to outside your strut on the bottom of the boat. When I went through this it was easier than what you've got ahead of you. The guy at the prop shop will be great help to you as he was to me. He told me that when the prop is secured to the shaft it should only be about 1/2 to 3/4 inches away from the strut. Dont forget to account for the threads as this will make the shaft longer for measurement purposes. This should help you in determining a length. For your prop problems, i am no expert but i bet a lot of people on this site can recommend a prop. Once you know what prop you want, i recommend going to a prop shop with your boat and have them help you find the dimensions you need, and then order the prop from them in good faith. You can order the prop shaft yourself and chances are they can help with this too. I think mine was $180ish. Your local boat dealers should be able to help with this as well. If you could find the specs for that shaft on google somewhere that sounds ideal. Keep callin everybody, boat dealers, marine mechanics, part shops, ect. I know i didnt need to have a shaft fabricated so i doubt you do.
Old     (boarditup)      Join Date: Jan 2004       08-02-2005, 6:32 AM Reply   
I have your new prop. www.boarditup.com

Get a factoy replacement shaft. Quicker and easier.
Old    alanp            08-02-2005, 6:45 AM Reply   
www.skidim.com is the place to go. they will have everything you need and are very knowledgeable.
Old     (lives2wake)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-02-2005, 6:05 PM Reply   
Thanks for the sites. I called correct craft and I need a 54" x 1" shaft. The prop is a 13 x 13 rh but I have read that a 13 x 11.5 is better for boarding. Either way I would be happy...price is the issue here.
Justin
Old    sparky68            08-02-2005, 7:31 PM Reply   
Justin Call Karl @ boarditup he'll set you straight as far as the prop goes. Ordered one three weeks ago has been on the boat for two weekends, LOVE IT!!!! the og doesn't compare.

Thanks Karl!!
Old     (breadbutta)      Join Date: Dec 2003       08-02-2005, 8:06 PM Reply   
I have to second what Sparky says. Karl gave great advice as to what size ACME 3 blad prop I should put on my Centurion, not to mention the killer price. Better hole shot and not much loss in top end. The best plce to go for the shaft is the factory. Good luck, hope it wasn't too much trouble getting back to the dock.
Old     (lives2wake)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-03-2005, 10:30 AM Reply   
Well, I'm waiting for the dealership that I bought the boat from to reply. Hopefully they will be paying for the prop and the shaft. I'm not sure what they will do. They are kinda slow in replying to my calls.
Justin
Old     (lives2wake)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-04-2005, 10:00 AM Reply   
Well they are selling me the parts at cost. Not too impressed but, what am I to do? I am from Canada and I bought the boat in Mineappolis (Midwest Mastercraft). I'm not about to start a dispute over the phone.
Here's a couple pictures.
shaft
side profile
Old     (lives2wake)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-13-2005, 7:47 PM Reply   
I feel like I have been waiting forever for the parts. I ordered the shaft 2 weeks ago and I haven't received it yet. That's a total of 3 weekends without riding and summer is short in Winnipeg (no thanks to MidWest Mastercraft and Marine Associates - trully not impressed with the service) I got my prop quickly though, ordered Monday - delivered Friday. - Good job Acme. - V. nice four blade prop.

Well...I should be on the water by Tuesday...cannot wait.
Justin

(Message edited by lives2wake on August 13, 2005)

(Message edited by lives2wake on August 13, 2005)