Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through September 22, 2008

Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       08-22-2008, 7:45 AM Reply   
So I started trying these and I am totally lost. The first few where like a handle pass tantrum. I knew that wasnt correct, so I stopped tripping the edge and started trying to pull the rope down and swing board back away from the boat instead of up and over. This resulted in Crazy Line Tension that I could not control and a sore shoulder today. Not to mention the one time I was able to find the handle it resulted in an epic toeside edge slam.

Anybody got any tips on these? I can do them no problem on a tramp, my issue is trying figure out the edging and the pop for it.

I will try and get some video as well today if I ride.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       08-22-2008, 7:53 AM Reply   
Get that Andy! I love that trick.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       08-22-2008, 7:59 AM Reply   
Me to J-Rod, man I cant figure it out at all. Prolly tried 15 of them. I gotta get some help before I kill myself and never wanna try again!

Way Harder than a HS FS OA 3!
Old     (to_blind)      Join Date: Mar 2007       08-22-2008, 8:00 AM Reply   
Ben Greenwoods look like handle-pass tantrums too...maybe you were on to something, because there is def. nothing wrong with riding like Greenwood...i used to try tail grab tantrums and would actually end up wrapped in the rope as a result of "star-gazing" lookin for the grab...i guess if i was smart/quick enough this could have evolved into a handle pass bs oa 3...anyways, what i was gonna say is i think you still need a little trip to get offaxis, combined with a hard pull of the handle to your buttocks...good luck man, thats a killer trick, hope you get it. how are you gonna find a way to poke it?!
Old     (focker)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-22-2008, 8:02 AM Reply   
Learn it off the double up and load up heavy on your back foot like you would for a front flip. The best looking rotation is kind of halfway between the tantrum rotation your talking about, and a heelside front flip.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       08-22-2008, 8:06 AM Reply   
David

I like your thinking, I will try it on the off the Dub for sure and just rip the handle toward my azz. So you are saying no trip edge, leave the wake more like a heel front but stay over the handle and pull it down towards my butt? Just to be clear
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       08-22-2008, 8:16 AM Reply   
I have seen D. Cook do a few (obviously I cannot do them) and his look pretty good. More like a banked out front flip/frantrum sort of. I think there are some sequences of his floating around here...always grabbed of course. If I recall he does not trip but takes off like a hs front.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       08-22-2008, 8:49 AM Reply   
I would throw a few wrapped first to get the feel of the rotation...then once that happens throw in the pass
Old     (ty540)      Join Date: Nov 2001       08-22-2008, 9:00 AM Reply   
I've tried a few of these but haven't landed one yet (next week! I hope...). I edge in a lot softer than I would for a heel front, and I pop somewhat similarly but without loading the line quite as much. The pop and rotation feel good, but, like you mentioned, it's really tough to get the handle because of the line tension.

Here's what I'm going to try. Pull the handle (hard) to front hip with both hands, and work on throwing my body towards the boat more. So although I'm going to be rotating on the same axis, instead of leaving the wake in the same direction as my rotation, I'm going to try to throw my weight towards the boat a bit. I hope that makes sense. I'll let you know how it goes.
Old     (brinks)      Join Date: Mar 2002       08-22-2008, 4:27 PM Reply   
I learned them based off an indy glide. I find this trick alot easier with a grab. Come into the wake in a crouched position and just think about doing an indy glide only drifted about half way out(but don't stop at the half way point). At about that half way point of the glide you want to let go of the grab and let the board continue to drift up and over, at the same time push the handle down and behind you and begin reaching for the handle pass. When you make the pass, push the handle across your waist towards your lead hip. I had the most trouble with the handle pass. I found that you really need to keep the handle in tight to your hip on the take off and push the handle kind of hard on the pass. I hope this helps. It is a fun trick. I have tried a few 5's but just can't get into the right position. Good luck
Old     (derekcook)      Join Date: Apr 2005       08-22-2008, 11:42 PM Reply   
andy-

Hey what's up. Back off 3s are super fun you'll be stoked when you get them down. Learn them off the double up for sure. Less line tension. I take a pretty mellow cut onto the dub. Ride all the way up it. Grab Indy and drop your front shoulder after the grab. This will help you delay the spin and start your axis. Unlike a front look under your back should. I also push the handle down and away. Hope that helps. Good luck!!!
Old     (wakemastercraft)      Join Date: Jul 2008       08-23-2008, 12:55 AM Reply   
I pop off the wake and stand tall off my back foot which will help your shoulder dip down (a lot like the HS frontflip) the more you suck your front knee up off the wake, the more your back leg will come up after you flatten off and then it just comes around.... TRAMPOLINE!!!
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       08-25-2008, 7:08 PM Reply   
D- Cook!

Thanks bro that helped a ton! They are coming around real nice! Should have them in the bag tomorrow. Getting the crab is really making the rotation automatic and helps me keep the handle in close.
Old     (the_bum)      Join Date: Jul 2008       08-25-2008, 7:31 PM Reply   
They look so sick! Was working on indy glides today, any tips? Gonna have to try and take my back 3's off axis next time out. But for some reason the only off spin I can do is a cab 5
Old     (ty540)      Join Date: Nov 2001       08-27-2008, 5:05 PM Reply   
Got it.

The most important things (for me) were to delay the rotation slightly and get the right amount of rope tension. If you load the line all the way you're going to have a heck of a time getting the handle; same goes if you start the rotation quickly right off the wake.