Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through November 07, 2006

Old     (garret_s)      Join Date: Apr 2006       10-29-2006, 6:31 PM Reply   
Not sure if this has been posted yet, but the season for us Midwesters is quickly drawing to a close (I'm jealous of you Delta-er's), which gives me a lot of time to think about what goals I accomplished, which ones I didn't, and what I just plain chickened out on. So, I figured it would be interesting to see some responses. For me, I think it is very important to do a little bit of evaluation at the end of the season, and set some goals up for next year, as it makes the season fun (especially when you stick a trick on the list).

If you are struggling (or just don't understand my gibberish), try this format:

Season Goals:
Tricks learned:
Tricks attempted:
The chicken list:
Goals for next season:

And...go.
Old     (preacherman)      Join Date: Aug 2006       10-29-2006, 6:41 PM Reply   
Well I got to say I feel really good about myself, other than some should pain I am still having from the last trip out. This is my first season out in this sport and loved it!!

Learned first and most important, getting up. Learned crossing wake, surface 180, and a few other beginner tricks.

Hopefully next season be going w2w hs and ts and doing some w2w 180s and maybe try to throw in a 360!!! I guess we will see next season. CAN'T WAIT THOUGH!!
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       10-29-2006, 6:50 PM Reply   
I feel bad because I wasnt able to land much with my bad shoulder. My goal for the winter is to strengthen my shoulder so I can learn some new stuff next year. My season isn't over, but I have been wakeskating a lot more.
Old     (bec)      Join Date: Sep 2004       10-29-2006, 6:58 PM Reply   
Lets see here...
Season goal was a tantrum

Tricks learned- was -indy -180 (surface, 1wake, ollie) -butterslide -ride switch

Tricks attempted- tantrum, w2w 180, w2w 360

Chicken list- front roll, melon grab

Next years goal- tantrum, 360, front roll
Old     (duffy)      Join Date: Feb 2006       10-29-2006, 7:05 PM Reply   
The florida season still exist but so far tricks learned: rode alot more switch, learned toe side, and 180's. My first two seasons I tried to go big to quick and this being my third season went back to basics. A huge improvement. Next season will be a solid season for the bigger tricks.Attempted this season: raley,3's,TS backroll, and roll to revert. Goals for next season: I will land all these trick's next season. Because I had to spend alot of time this season on rebuilding my fundamentals I fell short on those particular tricks. Plus a sore shoulder.
Old     (7890303)      Join Date: Sep 2006       10-29-2006, 8:23 PM Reply   
end of the season? when is that exactly?
Old     (wakepunk16)      Join Date: May 2005       10-29-2006, 8:48 PM Reply   
yea right, dang all you warm weather riders, i went wakeboarding the the UP at the begining of this month and just went snowboarding in the UP this past weekend, so i guess you can't complain but man i miss warm weather..

and..
goals... can't really remember
learned.. w2w backside 180 to blind, toeside steazy 180's, scaircrow, bigger healside 180's
tried.., tantrums backroll to revert, hs/ts 360's (damn that trick), double backroll off the double up (under the influnce choice)
goals for next year... dial 360's, tantrums, toeside front roll

(Message edited by wakepunk16 on October 29, 2006)
Old     (crracer)      Join Date: Nov 2003       10-29-2006, 9:07 PM Reply   
spent all year in a wheelchair and on crutches so it can only go up from here ha ha. Next season will be good hopefully regular hs 3's cause i already got the switch lol, and maybe switch hs 5, tantrums and crows
Old     (sammm724centurion)      Join Date: Aug 2006       10-29-2006, 9:43 PM Reply   
Season End????

Ride year round! Ever heard of a drysuit? Tme to invest!
Old     (garret_s)      Join Date: Apr 2006       10-29-2006, 11:08 PM Reply   
Sam: Its pretty hard to not see the season as over when you don't have a slip on the lake (currently), your boat is at home and you are at school, you don't have any money for a drysuit because you spent it all on books and food, and there will be snow on the ground with sub 0 temperatures in the next 4 weeks. Its tough.

On a slightly related note, I guess I actually have to fill out my list, because I didn't initially.

Goals: Backroll, Tantrum, Scarecrow, Raley
Learned: TS 3, HS BS 3, Broll, tantrum, ts 5, bs 180
Tried: crows, hs 5's (close, no cigar), ts broll
chickened out: front roll, raley, tantrum (for most of the season, Im such a weiner on that trick)
Next years goals: Get stronger on tanny, with grabs, R2R, scarecrow, TS front, TS Broll, maybe HS front.
Old     (ronnyboy27)      Join Date: Nov 2005       10-30-2006, 5:31 AM Reply   
Since I spent most of the summer in a wheel chair with a broken arm and leg I didn't acomplish all of my goals. When I finally did start riding again it seemed like I was starting over.

Goals: W2W toeside, Tantrum, W2W switch, Raley, HS3, HS180 to blind
Learned: HS3, W2W toeside
Tried: HS 180 to blind, W2W switch
Chickened out: Raley and Tantrum
Next Years Goals: Go Bigger Switch, Tantrum and Raley

Hopefully I will meet these goals by the end of this season. This is my 100th post. That's pretty cool. Even though I'm on here everyday I rarely post.
Old     (kylielogan)      Join Date: Apr 2006       10-30-2006, 5:58 AM Reply   
well, my list is gunna be pathetic, cuz i'm a chicken when it comes to trying ANYTHING! but here goes:
Season Goals: to learn A trick ... any trick!
Tricks learned: w2w (every once in awhile), surface 180 (sometimes; sometimes it's just another faceplant )
Tricks attempted: w2w, surface 180, ts180 off the wake (that probably has a REAL name, but that's what i call it!)
The chicken list: any tricks riding switch
Goals for next season: improve on my w2w and surface 180, try a w2w180, some w2w riding switch, and the only trick i really even care about learning ... a raley???? maybe? with a whole lotta luck??
Old     (slipknot)      Join Date: Aug 2001       10-30-2006, 7:06 AM Reply   
Really I couldn't tell you. because my season just actually started.
Old     (byrd)      Join Date: Dec 2005       10-30-2006, 7:23 AM Reply   
Slipknot, where were you from in FL?

I plan on working on my technique and basics during the winter here in FL. Using the winter to strengthen my switch riding and other basics I skipped over should allow me to progress a lot faster next year.
Old     (nizzle77)      Join Date: Apr 2005       10-30-2006, 7:44 AM Reply   
Season Goals: Any Invert
Tricks Learned: Backroll and I can't say Tantrum yet because i'm about 1 in 5. To me a trick learned is at least 90% landing ratio.
The Chicken List: Raley...Superman whatever i just don't have the kahuna's. I partially tried it once, chickened out, let go of the rope and did a front dive.
Next Year goals: Really work on my switch riding I seriously look like a two year old when I ride switch. Knees bent really far, Leaning over, rope above my head. My wife dies laughing everytime I try it.
Old     (greg_smith)      Join Date: Sep 2006       10-30-2006, 8:00 AM Reply   
Um I didnt set my 2006 goals very high but ... I did okay.

Goals for 2006: 540 variation and a new invert.

New tricks landed: HS Slob 540, HS 540 off the double-up, HS BS 360, HS 540s consistant, going bigger now, switch hs 360 off the double up

Tricks attempted: hs 7, tumble turn, frontroll

Goals for 2007: any kind of 7 (hs, ts, or off a kicker... whatever), some new invert.. i should really learn a raley
Old     (ai_rider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       10-30-2006, 8:25 AM Reply   
I didn't go after as much as I wanted to due to an injury early in the season to my knee, but as for my third season, I can say I am happy this season, mostly cause we got a new ride.

Goals for 06: HS 540, Raley, Riding better switch, and at least one new invert.

Landed: HS+TS 3 consistent, Indy Tantrum, HS Front roll(hurt the knee), HS BS 180.
Attempted: HS540, TS 540, Whirly(close), TS Front
Chicken List: RALEY, RALEY, RALEY

Goals for remainder of 06 and 07: Raley, 540, Whirly and to keep riding better switch.
Old     (slipknot)      Join Date: Aug 2001       10-30-2006, 8:46 AM Reply   
Byrd, Orange Park/Middleburg, Black Creek to be more specific. Are you familiar with the St. Johns? We used to cruise over to Six Mile Creek to eat and drink at the Outback Crab Shack. "Party Central" I moved away in 88, lived back there for a stint in 02 for 6 mo.

Which chain are you on?
Old     (dizzyg)      Join Date: May 2005       10-30-2006, 9:10 AM Reply   
had a frustrating season, didn't learn anything new worth mentioning. Forgot how to land other stuff, rode flaky and timid.

I am ready for winter and hopefully will get my crap together for next spring :-(
Old     (bigpapaf1f)      Join Date: May 2005       10-30-2006, 10:00 AM Reply   
This year for me I wanted to work on STYLE!! I wish I would have landed a few more new tricks but my ridin looks a lot better and I had more fun ridin this year than every before.

Goals: As many new tricks a possible, Grab everything and poke the SH** out of it!!
Landed:Krypt, Nose grab R2R, Nose grab crow, Method crow, Tail grab frontroll, hs nose grab 3(hold grab the grab for 90% of the spin and pass it way late. this is one of my fav tricks to do) got back ts 5 (stoped doin them after torn ACL) and a few more lil things here and there.
Attempted: Switch ts 5, Switch Raley, Switch Krypt, Switch front, Hoochie krypt, Tootsie roll, Tany to blind, tany to revert, and that damn CROWMOBE!!!!
Chicken list: S-bend,313, hs mobe.

Goals: lose atleast 30lbs (get under 220) and land the stuff I didn't land or try!
Old     (byrd)      Join Date: Dec 2005       10-30-2006, 10:17 AM Reply   
I live on the Winter Haven Chain. I just took my first trip up the St Johns to The Glen this summer. We stayed at an Inn right on the river south of Lake George.

**END THREAD JACK**
Old     (a1flowergirl)      Join Date: Jul 2006       10-30-2006, 4:13 PM Reply   
This was my first season and I'm terribly sad that it's over. And I only got to use my drysuit once. My goals were a little sketchy because I had no idea how quickly I could learn things so they kind of evolved as the season went on.

Goals: solid hs w2w, surface 180s, 180 off one wake
Landed: hs w2w, surface 180s, a few board grabs
Attempted: ts 180 off one wake (landed quite a few but still not consistent), ts w2w (only landed once but had a blast trying)
Chicken list: I don't really have one -- every time someone suggested I try something, I tried it. Thank god no one suggested anything that was WAY out of my abilities!
Goals for next season: all 4 w2w (which means I really need to work on riding switch), all 4 w2w 180s, and an invert. Is that asking too much?

Just thinking about next season . . . I wish it was already here. I need to move back to warmer climates.
Old     (rmcronin)      Join Date: Aug 2002       11-01-2006, 3:16 PM Reply   
Season goal: Have fun, get the kids out on the boat more than previous year.
Goals accomplished: All of above plus getting back hs 3's which I had lost for 5 years. Landing ts blind 180's more consistently than previous year and not losing other tricks. Also competed in my first olympic distance triathalon which was actually fun.
Goals for next year: Grab hs and ts 3's. HS blind 3, put 100+hours on the boat.
Old     (cfd313)      Join Date: Sep 2006       11-01-2006, 3:55 PM Reply   
This is my first season with my own boat...we were out it seemed like everyday... I got my w2w down, ts/hs 180, butter/lip slide, indy grab...Next year hope to be throwing any inverts, possibly...and hopefully get to go down to the "boarding school" and learn from the man mr. murray himself....Anybody on here been?
Old     (jeff359)      Join Date: Jun 2005       11-01-2006, 3:58 PM Reply   
How i feel at the end of this season...

Hurt, fat and out of shape, and feel bad I didn't board all year and barely used a brand new wake boat.

On the bright side, good boat drivers with injuries are pretty popular as thirds. I got to meet some good people.
Old     (pottsy)      Join Date: Jul 2006       11-01-2006, 4:25 PM Reply   
It was my first season in the sport and it was amazing. Already thinkin about next year.
Old     (ldebbold)      Join Date: Jun 2006       11-02-2006, 1:07 PM Reply   
Season goals were modest; get more comfortable riding, get W2W. Thanks to Mike Schwenne and all the coaches at West Coast Camps I learned some essential fundamentals, got W2W once at camp in June and have gotten a bit more consistent with that thruout the season.

I've changed boards, bindings, fin configuration, rope length and ballast set-ups a bunch of times so it often feels like a whole different deal out behind the boat. Improvement is definitely not a linear process for me. Tried and landed all the 180s this year (one wake only) tried a couple of laybacks and crashed. Okay with lipslides. Learning to Ollie, have landed a couple of ollie 180s but it hurts to when I miss those so right now they are kid of on the chicken list. Riding switch, inside out 180s, surface 180s and a couple 360s (but only on a Roam for that one) Sorry the season is over but I need a couple of months to recover and get ready for ski season so its okay. Next year, more comfort, better fundamentals, a couple of grabs and, oh yeah, dump the newbie old guy no style look for somethin more contemporary.
Old     (wakeslife)      Join Date: Jul 2005       11-02-2006, 3:14 PM Reply   
First season behind a wakeboard boat. 135 hours to be exact Last year was with a pwc...

LEARNED
-HS and TS W2W
-HS front hand/back hand grabs
-HS and TS FS W2W 180's
-HS and TS grabbed (melon, nose) 180's
-How to schred on a surfer without the rope
-Shuvits and ollie 180's on the skate

TRIED
-HS Backroll
-HS FS 3

NEXT SEASON
Land the backroll