Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Trick Tips

Old                10-11-2004, 7:55 AM Reply   
OK...Just some advice for others looking for a first invert.

I have posted a couple of times re: a backroll which I have tried for about 6 weeks without being able to land it.

I finally got so frustrated I tried a tantrum instead. I land my first one yesterday (6 of them, and 2 more consecutive after my first)...
It only took me about 10 attempts to land it.

If you are looking to land a first invert I highly recommend a tantrum over a HS backroll due to the fact that the landing is soooo much easier to spot.

I credit my tantrum success to the Waketricks video.

sorry this was long.
Old                10-11-2004, 12:02 PM Reply   
well i guess its just prefrence but my first was a backroll and i landed it i think 9th try and haven't missed one since i landed my first one a couple of weeks ago. i haven't tried a tantrum but was thinking about it for my 2nd invert seeing as i'm good at backflips on a trampoline. are there any tips you could give me before i try one?
Old                10-11-2004, 2:26 PM Reply   
I practiced using the technique shown in Waketrix (great video by the way)...cut in towards the wake and stop your cut at the top of the wake without going over and letting go with your backhand...you will feel that the wake wants to throw you back and up.

Then it is time to try for real...using the exact same technique shift your weight from your heels to your toes at the top of the wake and thrust your pelvis up and where you came from....

...wait to initiate coming off of your edge later than you would think.

...spot the landing and sitck it!!!
Old                06-20-2005, 8:49 AM Reply   
For a first attemt should you shorten the rope? Or not try to go wake to wake? What's the call?
Old     (ghostrider_2)      Join Date: Aug 2004       06-20-2005, 2:42 PM Reply   
I agree I would like to know also I am looking to hit my first tantrum should I shoren the rope 5ft so that I dont have to worry bout clearing the wake?
Old                06-20-2005, 4:41 PM Reply   
now that i can do them i do prefer the tantrum over the backroll. just come into the wake and throw your head back to get that rotation started.
Old    stoked27            06-21-2005, 1:56 PM Reply   
me 2, I can do both the backroll and tantrum (tried the backroll first). It's odd, I hardly ever wipe out on the backroll, but I still kinda feel more comfortable doing tantrums because it is so much easier to spot the landing.

Shorting the rope---- Try it if you want, I was landing tantrums and then my line broke right near the tower. I lost a few feet of the rope, so I just made a new knot to tie to the tower. It didn't seem to make an extremely big difference, but it definately didn't make it any harder. If you do it, just make sure that you still have a clean wake 5 feet closer to the boat.
Old                06-28-2005, 10:53 PM Reply   
personally when im trying new inverts, i like to bring the rope in as far as it can get, 55ft or 65ft, ride with barely any weight in the boat, and go a little slower, that way it forces you to learn the correct technique. you also wont get hurt as much unless you land stiff legged or twist your knee... by shortening the rope you dont have to work as hard to get w2w... once you start nailing them you can let your rope back out if you want to.

personally i say start trying tantrums and backrolls at the same time and try to land both of them. i know people who will do backrolls, but wont try tantrums and vice versa. i was one of those guys.
Old                06-29-2005, 9:35 PM Reply   
cody d.
thats good advice. Ive never thought of trying them that way. Im a good rider and just starting to learn inverts. Ive been trying them with the rope length and speed i do all of my other tricks at. Which is intimidating doing something new ill try that tomorrow and see if it helps
Old     (jhertz27)      Join Date: Jul 2005       07-20-2005, 9:02 AM Reply   
Hey i was wondering do you actually turn your board parellel to the wake doing a tantrum? I got the backroll down very good and can do back flips on the trampoline. Im a little confused as of how you edge into the wake and the board position.
Old                07-24-2005, 8:34 PM Reply   
can u do just a staight backflip on a wakeboard?
Old                07-27-2005, 8:37 AM Reply   
To answer jhertz27's question about board position for a tantrum: you don't need to consciously try to line up the board parallel. Here's how it works and this is all you should be thinking of to mininmize any mental confusion. You've heard this bit 100 times before if you're seriously trying to learn a tantrum, but I'll explain why it works.

Egde out far, cut in hard, and just before getting to wake flatten out. Let go with your back hand and take it as straight up as you can. The act of coming off edge and letting go with the back hand will line you and the board up parallel to the wake once you're in the air. It just happens. The rest of the trick is easy, just a standard back flip like you would do on a tramp. Now here is why this works:

Every wakeboarder has had the really bad wreck where you're cutting in hard for a big, stylie heelside w2w jump and something goes horribly wrong. At the apex of the jump, you find yourself hanging on with just your lead hand, traveling backwards with your feet drifting away from the boat. Kinda like you only got half way through an off axis blind 180. You land on your butt/back and your head whips back as you hit the water. You say to yourself (if you're still conscious), "what the hell was that?!" That happened because you came off edge and stood tall as you jumped up off the wake. Very bad on a w2w jump, very good on a tantrum.

Long story short, you don't need to "try" to do anything with the board in the air. If you edge in with a good amount of speed, flatten out the board completely at the wake, let go with your back hand, and jump as tall as you can off the wake, everything else will just line itself up for you.

Most beginners have trouble with the "jump tall off the top of the wake" part, they "throw" the back flip on the way up the wake. On a tramp, you would never throw the back flip while your feet are still touching the canvas, you do it near the top of the jump. Have the confidence to delay throwing your head back until you get up in the air. Success will follow shortly.
Old                08-03-2005, 12:15 AM Reply   
When you guys are doing backflips on the trampoline do you do it with an old board strapped on? It seemes a lot harder, I can do big backflips no problem, but when I strap the board on I can't seem to get the rotation on the trampoline. Should I be able to hit the trick on the water being able to do the backflip on the tramp sans board? Also, has anyone been really hurt trying the tantrum?
Old     (wakechic06)      Join Date: Jun 2005       08-03-2005, 9:50 PM Reply   
I couple summers ago me and my friend got our old skateboard decks and ducktaped shoes to the board and were doing stalls on the fence and stuff and i was even doing indy backflips and stuff. But i havent been on a tramp for a while...our dog ate ours...anyway when i do backflips now, instead of going straight up, i go out and almost dont even land on the trampoline. Why is that? I guess thats good for a tantrum, but not the trampoline.
Old                08-04-2005, 7:26 AM Reply   
Is it too hard to do tantru7ms or backrolls if you don't have a wakeboard boat?
Old                08-04-2005, 11:32 AM Reply   
no, you can do all basic inverts with no tower and little wake. This just makes it easier.
Old                08-13-2005, 12:39 PM Reply   
i think the whole view of transfering to your toe edge is overrated and i think people focus on that too much when they learn tantrums and it messes them up. when i do them i cut in fairly hard and when im at the wake i just back off my edge a little bit and i throw my back hand off the handle like im tossing a ball behind me (not over my sholder but behind me to the side) This movement opens my body up to thrown the tantrum right and then i look up, push my chest up and pull the handle in tight to my front hip. if all of this is timed right and its smooth you should land it. hope this help
Old     (wakeboard19)      Join Date: Apr 2005       08-14-2005, 4:37 PM Reply   
I have to switch my edge. It is alot easier if you switch your edge because it helps throw you backwards.
Old     (gene3x)      Join Date: Apr 2005 Location: Dallas , TX       08-16-2005, 11:57 AM Reply   
where is the handle position supposed to be? I see some people almost throw it over their head. Then just no i hear keep it at your hip. Which is it?
Old    stoked27            08-16-2005, 7:07 PM Reply   
I pull really hard and keep the handle close to my head at eye level. Maybe it's wierd, I dunno. I find it easier that way, some like it near their waist. Try both and see what you like. What's the worst that could happen? (you fall a couple of times, big whoop. It's part of learning right?)