Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through July 21, 2005

Old    justsomeguy            07-14-2005, 8:21 PM Reply   
((to see the missing pics, go here: http://forums.wakeboarder.com/viewtopic.php?t=46154 sorry, I'm not going to resize the pics that I'm hosting on my own server just because this antiquated/inferior/lame forum software can't handle img src tags

It's 2005, why restrict yourself to four year old software anyway?

End rant...))

We towed from Norcal and learned a few things:

It gets hot (112) in Baker. That can make pulling up the grade towards Vegas interesting for some folks.

The Indian Smoke shop between Vegas and Mesquite has some incredible fireworks for sale. Not that we would have bought any because they're illegal at Powell. That's too bad because the sky morter things would have looked great against the canyon walls.

The Casablanca in Mesquite has good, secure parking but they are not pet-friendly. Special thanks to their craps table that coughed up $370 in 30 minutes. I just wish I could have stayed up longer.

If one of the families has a trailer with four year old Carlisle tires, have them replace them before leaving, rather than in Mesquite, after two have blown.

ON the way back we found that the Marriott Residence Inn in Vegas is pet friendly with very secure parking but no craps tables. However, special thanks to the Wynn which is right next store for the $300 in 20 minutes. Once again, I was too tired to stay up and lose it.

We rented from Forever Resorts out of Antelope Point. 70' of practically brand new houseboat.

After much scouting in my boat, we headed up to the end of Dry Rock Creek and claimed our spot.

We had one set of neighbors around the bend and that was it. We spent our time in Dry Rock Creek and the nearby fingers. Fantastic water and very little boat traffic. No main channel rollers.

We were able to get many kids up over the week.

First time. What a crappy wake on that X Star. It's practically flat.

Oh, there's the wake.

Second time.

Bad water, crappy scenery.

Every now and then we would ruin the butter for all of the other boats...

Side trips to Cathedral Canyon and Rainbow Bridge:

Some of the locals are really homely.

Our last morning, with an early pull out for the houseboat, meant...5:15 start.

Early water.

20 minutes later.

(disclaimer: the following pics were taken while I was also driving)

The long tow back.

There's a reason why you run a stern watch...it took these guys five minutes to figure out that they had lost two boats, even with us sounding the big ole air horn on the houseboat and trying to flag down passing boats to relay a message (not a single boat stopped to help). By the time they got to their boats they were bobbing and banging.

Special shoutout to the guy with the micro package on the "Southern Knights":

That shaved thing made the kids laugh but it kind of detracted from the natural beauty of the lake. Please, at least buy a speedo next time.

On our way back I detached and pulled some kids in the rollers so they could appreciate the butter that we had been in all week.

Then we stopped in Vegas for a few nights to recover before heading home. It was a great trip.
Old     (gnelson)      Join Date: Jun 2003       07-14-2005, 8:34 PM Reply   
Killer pics bro. It looks like you and your family had a great time. That lake looks unbelievable. How long did you stay, and what do you recommend. I know staying on the water can take its toll. I would love to put a trip like that together and Im sure it takes a ton of planning. Southern Knights NOT COOL! Loved your takes and thanks for the info on the travel. Sounds like you did it right.
Old     (nuckledragger)      Join Date: Jun 2004       07-14-2005, 10:23 PM Reply   
Once again......Lake Powell in all its glory. The pics from that place never get old. I can't wait till I get my turn in Sept.
Old     (domin8)      Join Date: Mar 2004       07-15-2005, 6:19 PM Reply   
We were there during the same week and passed by you guys on the way up to Oak C.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       07-15-2005, 6:31 PM Reply   
wow! awesome pics! the 5th pic really looks like an ad for either the boat or a powell brochure.

i wanna go back to powell. it's my favorite place in the u.s.!
Old     (notsobueno)      Join Date: Dec 2004       07-16-2005, 4:17 PM Reply   
JSG,

WOW, awesome shots...what is your photo rig?

Crappy scenery - crappy water...agreed, no one should go there...it is horrible
Old    justsomeguy            07-16-2005, 5:10 PM Reply   
I shoot with a D2x, a bunch of different lenses and a varity of filters.

Incredible light courtesy of Northern AZ and Southern UT.
Old     (sixeye)      Join Date: Apr 2005       07-16-2005, 8:12 PM Reply   
Awesome shots, man. I have to go there sometime soon! Looks killer there!
Old    indo            07-16-2005, 9:13 PM Reply   
i cant wait we are driving from virginia this wed. hope to be their by sat. love the photos
Old     (addictedchick)      Join Date: Jan 2005       07-16-2005, 9:15 PM Reply   
Powell looks soooooo Awesome. I'll be there in less than a week with some friends and I can't wait!!!!
Old     (twitch)      Join Date: Dec 2004       07-16-2005, 10:40 PM Reply   
JSG... could you send me the original of the 5th one

id love to use that as a background
Old     (bdehaan)      Join Date: Jul 2003       07-18-2005, 8:23 AM Reply   
Absolutely love the pics, and it sounds like an unbelievable trip. The one w/ the tube is awesome.