Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through February 10, 2003

Old     (detonate69)      Join Date: Apr 2001       11-06-2002, 4:20 PM Reply   
I'm thinking about designing up some new board racks this winter and maybe making a few. I know the racks that are availble now aren't perfect and want to know what everyones problems with them are. I want to design the perfect rack and need your help on what needs to be included. What features are most important and what features are problems with todays racks.
Old     (bob)      Join Date: Feb 2001       11-06-2002, 10:08 PM Reply   
protect the boards, strong-dont want the arms breaking going over rollers, dont want them slipping down (mine actually rest against one of the uprights so they cant slip, boards go in and come out easy(but its nice to know if you forget the strap they wont just come falling out on your head
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       11-06-2002, 10:12 PM Reply   
Design? Just copy 'em. Boss Racks, Skylon Batracks, Titan racks. Those are the best ones to copy.
Old    socalridertivlx            11-06-2002, 10:38 PM Reply   
More padding. The titan racks scratch the hell out of our boards if we put them on just a little off. I like the titan racks, but they need to protect the board more
Old     (sandbag)      Join Date: May 2002       11-07-2002, 7:34 AM Reply   
half the average price.
I you could make a decent rack for 100 each
you'll sell tons of them.
Old    dburke            11-07-2002, 8:20 AM Reply   
I always thought it would be nice to be able to buy a rack that held only one board, with the option to buy the additional piece for the second board. Is this something that would be feasible?
Old     (jwat142)      Join Date: Jan 2002       11-07-2002, 9:50 AM Reply   
You need to make some that won't scratch the tower. Metal on Metal is not good. My tower is getting scratched pretty good by my board racks. You can't see the scratches right now, but if I ever take them off, it will look horrible.
Old     (ifishok)      Join Date: Mar 2002       11-07-2002, 10:10 AM Reply   
Make them float in water.
Old     (detonate69)      Join Date: Apr 2001       11-07-2002, 1:11 PM Reply   
yeah um I don't think for MOST people thats a problem. I think it will be tuff to make aluminum float.
Old     (south30)      Join Date: Apr 2002       11-07-2002, 2:15 PM Reply   
WWW.mako-ind.com THESE RACK MOUNT on any angle they word very well....i have them
Old    hitman            11-07-2002, 5:02 PM Reply   
i was thinking of a rack that would maybe stand vertically? where you can reach around and pull the boards straight back instead of up and out. I don't know
Old     (nj_alex)      Join Date: Aug 2002       11-08-2002, 8:17 PM Reply   
I have Joystick board racks that mount nicely to my Joystick roll cage, and they're really nice because they are completely made out of hard plactic! The plastic doesn't scratch the boards nor does it scratch the roll cage. The only problem I have with these racks is that the forks are too wide apart to fit in between the bindings on a small Liquid Force Squirt 119. I always have to remove one of the bindings to get it up there. So, I guess adjustable fork width might be a positive selling feature on your new design. If you click on my profile you can see my plastic board racks.
Old    cws_kahuna            11-08-2002, 10:40 PM Reply   
Just Go get some Fluid Concepts racks. They are strong, they don't break, they don't scratch your board and they look good. Plus they are a little less expensive than the competitors. If you really want to make some copy their design.
Old     (wakeside1)      Join Date: Nov 2002       11-09-2002, 8:56 AM Reply   
Check out the new 2003 Boss Accessories "Warp" rack, this one looks really cool. Wake designs racks are totally new for 2003 - we will have them on our site later today! Titan has a new "lift-off" upgrade so the racks come off in a few seconds with one hand which is real nice when collapsing the tower. Mako can mount at any angle with a dual axis system and has plastic bushings to protect the tower. Skylon Batracks have vertical mounts this year. Check all of these racks out at Wakeside.com before you decide go into this business. One of the most difficult things to manufacture is a good looking, quality mount, that will fit on any tower diameter.

The five manufacturers that I mention above are all experts at mounts. One thing to consider is Chrome or Anodizing since polished aluminum billet racks do require maintenance to avoid tarnish. Wake Designs has a chrome option for 2003, Titan has chrome forks and mounts for 2003, and Mako is 100% anodized. They are all trying to deal with tarnish and are continuously improving their product designs.

Old     (trash)      Join Date: Jul 2001       11-12-2002, 8:39 AM Reply   
Anyone know of and mfg's that make a board rack that can hold a wakeboard and a ski?

Trash
Old     (kgd)      Join Date: Jun 2002       11-13-2002, 6:26 PM Reply   
I have the next level board and ski racks on a joystick tower. I really like the tower mounting of the next level racks (although I did toss the screw with the knob that secures the rack to the tower mounts in place of a stainless bolt I can tighten with a wrench). I would like to see better padding on the forks and adjustable fork width. The first ski rack I received was too narrow for my Kidder 7000 with double pivot bindings but next level made me a new one with the forks further apart. Also, with adjustable forks you might be able to configure it for one ski and one board on a rack.
Old    danno            01-09-2003, 3:33 PM Reply   
Wakeboards fit well on my wake designs racks (Nautique OEM) (I'd prefer them a little bit wider to fit my bindings better). btw, the skis fit perfectly on the rafters in my garage.

My friend's Centurion takes the boards flat against the tower (don't know who built the tower) and secures with shock cord... but I haven't seen any boards yet that fit well anywhere on it. Only one binding fits between the fore/aft mounts. If you fit the binding closer to the stern in the tower the boards stick awkwardly up and too far forward, and if you mount with the other binding in the mount, it rides parallel and looks right, but it's so far back that the rope catches when the rider goes outside.
Old     (migitty)      Join Date: Aug 2001       01-09-2003, 5:15 PM Reply   
I've been using Nvert for the last several months. They are exceptional. They grip tighter than any other rack I have ever seen and the rubber wont ding your board at all. Zero board rattle. Plus, they are the only stainless steel racks on the market that I know of. Thus, they'll do better in salt than any other rack. Nothing wrong with their mounts either. You can check them out at www.nvertsports.com. Just my $.02.
Old     (alan)      Join Date: Sep 2002       01-09-2003, 5:23 PM Reply   
www.fluidconcepts.com
Simple,perfect,strong. A great company to deal with!!!

The prices are the best around for the product.
Old    ckabe            01-09-2003, 5:55 PM Reply   
Take a look at the new MasterCraft ratcheting racks. They are pretty complicated, but they look like the most convenient racks out there. The downside is the $50,000 price tag for the racks and everything else. Btw, I've ordered a pair of the Nverts and expect them in sometime during the week of 1-13-3. I'll give a review in a while.
Old     (wakejunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       01-09-2003, 7:32 PM Reply   
I prefer the simple but, works concept. In particular C&C, cheap, work and won't scratch your tower. Heck, I've even gone without using the strap without much worry.

Chris
get the grip you deserve
www.wakejunky.com/gatorgrip

Also for sale
http://home.surewest.net/cfoye/96SportNautique/96SportNautique.htm

Old     (ofwc)      Join Date: Sep 2002       01-09-2003, 8:28 PM Reply   
Where can you get in touch with C&C Creations? I can't find any info anywhere!
Old    cyperplatapus            02-01-2003, 9:42 PM Reply   
YOU GUYS ARE CRAZY.....EVERYONE OUT THERE WHOM MAKES BOARDRACKS IS A COPY OF WAKE DESIGNS. LEARN YOUR HISTORY MAN!!! YOU CANT BEAT WHATS ALREADY PERFECT...THERE 03 STUFF IS OFF THE HOOK. NO RATTLE...SOLID MOUNT AND CHROMED OUT. BLING BLING...WAIT IN LINE I'M FIRST!!!!