Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through July 08, 2003

Old     (barry)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-28-2003, 11:01 AM Reply   
'03 Sanger V-210.. at what point on the hour meter should I change this thing?

B-
Old     (jeffr)      Join Date: May 2002       05-28-2003, 11:17 AM Reply   
Not sure what the official answer is in terms of hours… from past posts it sounds like a new impeller at the start of each season is a good rule of thumb. I had mine changed at about 160 hours and it was showing a bit of wear.
Old    mbsteve            05-28-2003, 11:21 AM Reply   
i put a new one on each season, cheap insurance!
Old     (barry)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-28-2003, 11:28 AM Reply   
Next question... how do you change them? Where is is located? and how much do they cost?

My dealer wants 150.00 to change it.. and I can't imagine it being a difficult task..

B-
Old     (jon_a)      Join Date: Feb 2003       05-28-2003, 11:43 AM Reply   
$150 is way too much to change it. I'm not sure how much the new impeller is but its not that much. I can change the one on my Mobius in about 5 minutes. Mine is a D-drive, i'm not sure where yours would be on your V-drive. Look in the owners manual. Thats how I learned. Its really easy.
Old     (mastercraft1995)      Join Date: Nov 2002       05-28-2003, 11:52 AM Reply   
40 bucks is what a new one will cost you. Follow the water intake line to the motor (front) also look for the drive belt (it drives the impeller). Pop the 4 screws off and pull it out with some needle nose pliers. If you can't get ahold of it crank the motor over until you can get a grip on it. Pay attention to the direction of the viens ( I don't think it matter but some do) put some liquid dishsoap on it and push it it. If your dealer is half way cool they will show you where it is and tell you how to change it when you pick up the new one. While at the dealership pick up a spare and put it in your boat. Just ask my friend who had to get towed 2 miles at Shasta.
Old     (mastercraft1995)      Join Date: Nov 2002       05-28-2003, 11:52 AM Reply   
Oh yea Every Year you need to change it.
Old     (seattle)      Join Date: Mar 2002       05-28-2003, 11:53 AM Reply   
Barry,

I just changed mine last week. I have a V-drive as well and it takes some interesting positioning to get to them, so plan on a couple of hours to do it yourself the first time. Mine runs off of the crank shaft and was a b**** to get to.
Old    mbsteve            05-28-2003, 12:22 PM Reply   
oh dude, do it your self! dont waste your money. i had mine done once,then when it was time to do it again i thought this cant be that hard, and it was way easey. take the back off of your water pump, should be 3 or 4 bolts. pull the old impeller out and slide the new one in. the fins should face opposite the rotation of the pump. throw a little dish soap on the new impeller, it will help it slide in.
Old    exdeckboater2            05-28-2003, 12:30 PM Reply   
I paid $40.00 for mine @ the dealer, but they are only $25.00 at Boater's World.
Old    mbsteve            05-28-2003, 12:32 PM Reply   
oh by the way i got mine from ski limited 26.00. i also repacked my prop shaft at the same time, never done that before but it was way easy. who knows what the dealer would charge for that. alot of this stuff is real easy to do your self,but when in doubt,ask,do a little research like on this site. any questions,e-mail me.
Old     (sdboardr99)      Join Date: Aug 2001       05-28-2003, 12:33 PM Reply   
Mine went out 2 weeks ago - the boat is 1 year old with 260 hours on it (so it was time to replace it anyway). I have a Tige 20v which is a vdrive. It was a pain to get to it and I had to remove the belt and the impeller housing. Once the housing was off, removing the old impeller and installing the new one was a piece of cake. I paid $40 for a impeller kit (impeller and gaskets) from West Marine.

Total time for the repair was almost 3 hours, but I could do it again in less than an hour now that I know what to expect and what tools are needed.

Old     (barry)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-28-2003, 12:55 PM Reply   
Thanks guys..

I called my dealer again and asked why it was so much. he explained that when they replace the impeller they replace the housing as well.. the kit is 97.00(housing/gasket/impeller/etc) and he said he'd charge me 50 buck to do it. Also asked me why I wanted to change it so soon(88 hours).. He told me to wait until next spring when I have a couple hundred hours.
" I'd love to sell you the service... but unless your impeller failed, you don't need it.. your boat is too new"

Mark is a cool cat.

B-
Old     (typhoon)      Join Date: Jul 2001       05-28-2003, 1:07 PM Reply   
i just checked with the dealer close to here and he said the whole kit is 82.00 and to have them do it would be 130.00. he said it is not hard to do but you will have some bloody knuckles on the v-drive. it is on the bottom back side of the engine on the passenger's side. he said he recommends every second summer of full use.
Old    mbsteve            05-28-2003, 1:39 PM Reply   
if you wait until it fails, you waited too long.
Old     (wake_eater)      Join Date: May 2003       05-28-2003, 6:52 PM Reply   
i had to replace the impeller in my moomba about 2 weeks ago on the water. its easy as hell. just take out the screws, pull the old one out, pop the new one in & the gasket---done. my impeller cost me @ 28 bucks. it took 15 minutes and i know nothing about engines. DONT PAY THE $150!!!!!!
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       05-29-2003, 8:49 AM Reply   
Run it till it's dead. Then pull your intake hose, flood the bildge, and have your buddie hold the fat sac pump on the intake hose while avoiding burns and belts. Simply idle three miles home while watching the temp gauge.

On most older boats it is difficult to change the impeller on the water. Not only because of the removal process but the pump may be below the waterline---Good luck. On most newer inboards it's a snap so it's less of a concern. Last weekend I pulled mine in 15 minutes. A V-drive may be a different issue.

For the price of $23.95 I pull mine every 150 hours and carry a spare. Remember, they always die on Sundays and Holidays with a boat full of people or, if your alone in the middle of nowhere.
Old     (typhoon)      Join Date: Jul 2001       05-29-2003, 9:01 AM Reply   
I was told to by the kit with the housing and all. what do you guys usually do?
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       05-29-2003, 9:12 AM Reply   
i have heard the mercruisers are a lot harder to replace the impeller. i have an indmar and it is super easy. i carry a spare impeller and change it every season. now that I am in FL I will probably change it more often.

i can't imagine why they would want to change the housing?
Old     (typhoon)      Join Date: Jul 2001       05-29-2003, 9:25 AM Reply   
the dealer said they always change the housing also.
Old    jmccallum            05-29-2003, 9:34 AM Reply   
Anyone change one on a Volvo Penta Sx I/O (really an OMC)?
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       05-29-2003, 9:37 AM Reply   
Ty, do they do it cause it is easier or do it to make more $$?
Old     (typhoon)      Join Date: Jul 2001       05-29-2003, 9:41 AM Reply   
i cannot find impellors on ski limited or overtons website. where is the best place to purchase them?
Old     (typhoon)      Join Date: Jul 2001       05-29-2003, 9:43 AM Reply   
tim,
probably both...
Old    markb            05-29-2003, 9:50 AM Reply   
www.skidim.com has them. I bought mine for 20 bucks from the local dealer. He even showed me how to replace it!
Old     (bob)      Join Date: Feb 2001       05-30-2003, 12:49 AM Reply   
Tim your absolutely right merc I/O's are way harder then d drives and most likely harder then v drives since you have to pull the lower part of the outdrive off and that is where the pump resides. I/O's are not a "just carry a spare on the boat with you".