Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Trick Tips

Old     (burke)      Join Date: Jun 2007       08-19-2007, 9:00 PM Reply   
Any help on how to get more height or faster spin? I'm not quite making it around on the backroll.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWsEEv5Ab4w
Old     (jpboarder)      Join Date: Jun 2007       08-19-2007, 9:35 PM Reply   
Its really hard to tell whats happening because you only show the last part of your cut. My advice is to just make sure you build that edge all the way through the wake, extend your legs at the top of the wake, and look over your lead shoulder. Oh, and make sure to keep the handle in close throughout the whole roll, because that will speed up your rotation . If the handle is out when you do it that is probably a lot of the reason your not getting enough rotation. If you could get another one on camera and get the whole thing and not just the last part, it would help me more to see what you are doing wrong. Anyways, good luck.
Old     (burke)      Join Date: Jun 2007       08-19-2007, 10:13 PM Reply   
Thanks, next time out I'll make sure to get it all.
Old     (livigno)      Join Date: Aug 2005       08-20-2007, 12:32 AM Reply   
You're gettin to it, your 3rd try was the best, you almost made it. You tend to leave too early, though. Just make sure you do not flatten off before you hit the wake and - this is so important - do not pop until your've reached the very top of the wake and really extend both legs at the top of the wake. This will give you the pop you'll need. Do it like this and you'll have it in less than five tries, I bet.
Old     (rourker)      Join Date: Jun 2006       08-20-2007, 7:29 AM Reply   
make sure to keep you legs locked and stand tall on the edge all the way up and through the wake. I can see that the wake is compressing your legs and they are bending a little off the top of the wake going into the roll. This is also part of the reason you are breaking at the waist in the air. Remember to really resist the wake and you'll have more time to get around.
Old     (burke)      Join Date: Jun 2007       08-20-2007, 7:54 AM Reply   
Thanks for the suggestions Oliver and Seth. I can see what you're talking about. Next time, I'm going to dial this one in.
Old     (krkx93)      Join Date: Jun 2007       08-20-2007, 6:54 PM Reply   
you need to push harder off the wake and u should make it around
Old     (will5150)      Join Date: Oct 2002       08-21-2007, 11:41 AM Reply   
OK Burke- I tried this for a whole summer and FINALLY got it. First- it looks like your not carrying enough speed- so take a bigger cut. Second think about taking the trick UP first- get your weight on the back foot look UP over your leading shoulder- not exactly OVER the shoulder but right in front of it- and stand TALL with the rope in tight. DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES TRY TO THROW THE ROLL- IT WILL THROW YOU if your weight is on your back foot and your line is loaded. THEN HOLD your head position so you can see the landing. As you spot the landing look AWAY from the boat toward the line your cutting through the water. this will help you from rolling revert- ie major face plant! Be patient with this trick- don't try and force the roll- you'll be blown away with how much air you'll get and how easy this comes around when you just wait for it instead of trying to force the roll. Good luck!
Old     (burke)      Join Date: Jun 2007       08-22-2007, 2:20 PM Reply   
Thanks for all the input. I went out yesterday and tried two more times. Based on all the feedback, I'm definitely popping better and getting more height. Just need to work on spotting the landing.

Here was my best one from yesterday: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccff_tXPlqE
Old     (charman)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-22-2007, 2:58 PM Reply   
you are really letting off of your edge at the wake
Old     (jpboarder)      Join Date: Jun 2007       08-22-2007, 3:23 PM Reply   
That is a better attempt, but you still are not edging all the way through the wake like you should. It almost looks like you let off your edge when you get to the wake, it should be the other way around. You should have a somewhat mellow edge up to the wake and than build your edge all the way through the wake. Also you still arent standing tall enough at the top of the wake, you need to edge all the way through the wake while standing tall. You almost have it man, you'll get in no time. Good luck
Old     (codykauz)      Join Date: Jul 2007       08-22-2007, 3:29 PM Reply   
^^^^^^ yep, don't change your edge at the wake, this isn't a tantrum. it looked like you didn't even off you went clear to your toe edge. if you are carrying too much speed then take a shorter cut and edge more progressively. make sure to put your left ear to your shoulder.
Old     (will5150)      Join Date: Oct 2002       08-22-2007, 7:47 PM Reply   
It almost looks a bit" Mexican" ! Just like the other guys said- go in nice and tall, stay on your edge all the way to the top- keep your weight on ther back foot and look up- Tell yourself your going to let the trick throw YOU not you throwing the trick - even if it throws you to the matt- and guess what- you'll nail it.
Old     (cwbrider16)      Join Date: May 2004       08-23-2007, 8:31 AM Reply   
is this a backroll? or a mexi-roll, with all the discussion lately I'm a bit confused. I thought a backroll was tip over tip like a cartwheel?
Old     (cwbrider16)      Join Date: May 2004       08-23-2007, 8:58 AM Reply   
so i just read that the mexican roll is a form of the backroll. Don't mean to hijack, here's my attempt...I'd like to straighten it out more cartwheel style

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ncAqLumEsuw
Old     (will5150)      Join Date: Oct 2002       08-23-2007, 10:18 AM Reply   
Yeah A Mexi-roll ( From the boat) will look like the board is coming more toward the boat VS "cartwheel" style. It's all about how you position your head and how tall you come into the wake. The Progressive roll is easier to spot your landings, but the Mexi can be easier to "stick" as you don't tend to slide out like Mikeyt did in his vid.
Old     (deeluk)      Join Date: Aug 2007       08-23-2007, 11:18 AM Reply   
Hey Burke,

Is that Horsetooth res in Fort Collins? Sure looks like it. We should hook up sometime. I'm in Fort Collins too. Go to Boyd and Horsetooth quite a bit. I have an orange and blue Mobius LSV. Stop by and say hi if you see us.

Oh, and I'm still trying to land my first backroll too. I pretty much land on my feet all the time now. My biggest problem seems to be always rolling to revert. The suggestions you've gotten are good. Make sure you stand really tall and really try to maximize your line tension. It'll really whip you around when you do and the trick will feel pretty effortless.

Derek
Old     (burke)      Join Date: Jun 2007       08-24-2007, 11:51 AM Reply   
Derek,
Yeah, it's Horsetooth. I'm out there every weekend and a few times during the week. I'll be out tomorrow (Sat) and tonight after work (probably). I'll keep an eye out for you, and swing by to say whats up. You do the same.

Thanks for all the help from everybody. I've got it in my head, now time to execute.

Burke
Old     (deeluk)      Join Date: Aug 2007       08-24-2007, 1:42 PM Reply   
You're in an Outback? What color? Are you the same burke from the Moomba board? Nevermind, just checked your profile.

Looks like we're going to Boyd tomorrow AM. If we get up to Horsetooth, I'll keep an eye out. Hope you land that backroll...