Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through September 23, 2004

Old     (bjgreenewb)      Join Date: Jun 2003       08-10-2004, 1:16 PM Reply   
Just curious how many wakeboarders are from Indiana and what lakes you ride on. I ride on a little private lake in Greencastle. Here are GREAT pics of the lake:

http://www.wakeboardindiana.com/portal/DesktopModules/EditPictureGallery.aspx?username=mygreenmonster.co m&GalleryName=Lake%20Pics&galleryid=7&picid=36&Pag eIndex=0&PicPageIndex=0#Pictures

http://www.wakeboardindiana.com/portal/DesktopModules/EditPictureGallery.aspx?username=mygreenmonster.co m&GalleryName=Lake%20Pics&galleryid=7&picid=37&Pag eIndex=0&PicPageIndex=0#Pictures

http://www.wakeboardindiana.com/portal/DesktopModules/EditPictureGallery.aspx?username=mygreenmonster.co m&GalleryName=Lake%20Pics&galleryid=7&picid=38&Pag eIndex=0&PicPageIndex=0#Pictures

We also ride on Morse during some weekday evenings.
Old     (balr54)      Join Date: May 2004       08-10-2004, 3:33 PM Reply   
I ride on Lake Sylvan in Rome City, IN. It is about 30 min north or Fort Wayne. Good lake to ride during the week especially in the mornings and evenings.

This is what I got treated to this weekend!

www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/1/182009.html?1092093133
Old     (bjgreenewb)      Join Date: Jun 2003       08-10-2004, 7:11 PM Reply   
I couln't find a post by you in the thread link you provided. Is there supposed to be a pic of Lake Sylvan there?

There is a guy who rides near Fort Wayne and is on wakeboardindiana.com that goes by the username of Big T. He rides in a 2001 malibu sunscape lsv. If you are interested in talking to him, you can reply to the following thread:

http://www.wakeboardindiana.com/portal/DesktopModules/ForumThread.aspx?ItemID=196&mid=69

Old    indyracers10199            08-10-2004, 8:01 PM Reply   
Hey wut up, im on the same lake, lake heritage, what street do u live on, i live on gettysburg. Wut boat do u have? I have a mastercraft x star.
Old    hockeynriding03            08-10-2004, 8:30 PM Reply   
Im in Fishers and ride on Geist
Old     (fox)      Join Date: Jul 2002       08-11-2004, 6:14 AM Reply   
I'm in Lawrenceburg and ride on Hidden Valley...except when my boats in the shop as it is now.

Eric
Old    switch411            08-11-2004, 7:43 AM Reply   
I live in Lafayette and ride Freeman whenever I get the chance...I'd like to get a lot more riding in than I do/have. Anybody?
Old     (shredhead)      Join Date: Jun 2003       08-11-2004, 1:45 PM Reply   
Lake James and Snow Lake. Nice early but can get very busy later in the day during high season.
But Steuben County has 101 lakes, so if James gets too busy we just move over to one of the fishing lakes. One of my buds also has a private site, but that more for 3 event.
Old     (balr54)      Join Date: May 2004       08-11-2004, 2:28 PM Reply   
Sorry man, I took a trip to Mt. Pleasant MI this weekend and the guy I rode with posted the picture of Little Field Lake, (Scott Haviaras posted it). That is what I was talking about. But I will defintely check that out on wakeboard Indiana about big T. Thanks dude!
Old    jeffer            08-11-2004, 3:04 PM Reply   
Jeigh,

I'm from Indy but I went to school in Mount Pleasant. I've ridden at Littlefield Lake as well, with a guy named Kurt Root, who's from Mt. Pleasant. I'm just curious if that was your connection.

Jeff
Old     (balr54)      Join Date: May 2004       08-11-2004, 4:37 PM Reply   
No, his name is Scott Havairas. But I seen that there was a couple people out there wakeboarding and there was a rail set up by the dock where there was a master craft I think. But Scott said that he had never really seen him out there. But it was a really nice lake until about 10:30 when all the idiots on jet skis and tubers got out there. I guess a girl got killed there a couple weeks ago by a jet ski.
Old     (bjgreenewb)      Join Date: Jun 2003       08-11-2004, 8:37 PM Reply   
Ryan,

I actually go to a different lake than heritage in Greencastle. However, I do know James Dean Mourer from heritage after meeting him at the triple crown last year. He had a 98 Mobius direct drive with metallic flake blue paint. I am not sure what boat he has now since he was talking about getting something new.
However, I also had a 98 mobius with blue metallic flake paint job before I got my 04 SSV gravity games boat. I traded the old boat for the 04 in December. Ironically, a guy at Heritage lake bought my old 98 mobius. So if you see a 98 Blue Mobius with metallic flake paint, that is the guy with my old boat :-)
If you ever need an extra person let me know. I wouldn't mind getting pulled behind an Xstar on Heritage lake. How much better can life get?

Old    reefhunter            08-11-2004, 8:37 PM Reply   
I wonder if anybody can help me. Six of us are going to the indy comp. We are going to bring the boat with us and board on Sun. Where is a good place to go for the day close to the tour stop?
Old     (nickpman)      Join Date: Feb 2003       08-12-2004, 12:20 AM Reply   
I have a cottage in La Porte right by michigan city... and ride on Pine Lake.... usually always calm, very few boats.
Old     (fox)      Join Date: Jul 2002       08-12-2004, 6:33 AM Reply   
Hey Josh,

Geist is nearby...probably the closest. Not sure how to get there exactly since I'm not from Indy, but somebody can point you in the right direction.

We'll be at the Comp too, staying at the Marriot right there. Anyone else going?

Eric
Old     (ripr)      Join Date: Mar 2002       08-12-2004, 7:04 AM Reply   
Will be at VTC. You'll probably see my Grey and Black Supra in the Lot.

I live in Cedar Lake/Crown Point area. Ride on Cedar Lake, Lake Holiday (semi private in Crown Point), Koontz Lake, and go to Illinois all the time to hit the Illinois River.

Later
Old    bens            08-12-2004, 7:09 AM Reply   
yoyo, what Greencastle lake is that in your pictures? The water looks great!
I used to live on Heritage and now have a condo on Morse. Try to ride on week days but have been busy and haven't been out too much this year. And the water has been rough most of the times we've been up.
If you're ever looking for another rider (not a good rider mind you) let me know.
Old     (vertproductions)      Join Date: Sep 2002       08-12-2004, 7:43 AM Reply   
When i am not in florida i usually ride at snow lake or jimmerson lake up in angola. but on the weekends i usually trailer to fox lake. it is pretty sick their is some footy from that lake in the new GB video.
Old     (shredhead)      Join Date: Jun 2003       08-12-2004, 8:08 AM Reply   
Arian:

We are the footers that are always in the hole coming out of the Snow Lake/James Channel. I foot dawn till 8 or 9 and then go back and get my boys to board. Teal 89 Nautique. Stop by if you ever need a pull.
Old     (patoloco)      Join Date: May 2002       08-12-2004, 8:42 AM Reply   
yoyo - Is that Glen Flynt(sp?) I used to board out there a very long time ago. If it is, thats a nice little lake...as long as there is not more than 2 boats out there. The only other lake I can think of out there are Hawthorne (private) Heritage, Racoon etc...and one other I can't remember the name of.

We typically hit Racoon or Monroe unless we're visiting the relatives down at Dale Hollow. We usually go out during the evenings in the week and occasionally take the ocean-like voyage on a Sat or Sun.
Old     (bjgreenewb)      Join Date: Jun 2003       08-12-2004, 10:37 AM Reply   
BT,

It is Glynn Flint during a Tuesday morning when I took a day off of work. Most Indiana lakes are that smooth during weekday mornings. You are right about it getting too rough during weekends when a few boats drive around the small lake just to drive around. Small lake = congestion during weekends.
Old    hockeynriding03            08-12-2004, 10:41 AM Reply   
Josh:

I live on Geist and it is prob the closest to the precedent (about 15 mins). I could hook you up with some directions if you are interested. I will also be at the comp sat. and sun. hope to see everyone there!

(Message edited by hockeynriding03 on August 12, 2004)
Old     (fox)      Join Date: Jul 2002       08-13-2004, 6:49 AM Reply   
Andrew,

Was your boat at MD this past Monday? I dropped mine off in the morning and thought I saw it parked there.

Geist is a nice lake, but I remember it being pretty rough on the weekend. "MTV" party cove was pretty nice too!!! Phat houses on the lake, and a pretty nice restaurant too.

Eric
Old    hockeynriding03            08-13-2004, 8:58 AM Reply   
It sure was there is a problem with the transmission its in until late next week about the time of the Vans Tripple Crown.

Geist is pretty ruff on the weekends but if you get out early on weekend mornings the water is nice. Dont expect to be riding on the weekends after 10am though the water gets pretty ruff. We ride in the morning then party in the afternoon.
Old     (fox)      Join Date: Jul 2002       08-13-2004, 10:30 AM Reply   
Odd...my nautique also has a tranny issue...although it might just be a rear seal. Pretty sweet boat you have there though!!

My friend lives in Fishers, although they have a slip down at Monroe. Kind of a long trip if you ask me, but he's thinking about leaving it at Norris lake next year.
Old     (nautiboarder)      Join Date: Mar 2003       08-16-2004, 10:31 AM Reply   
JOSH, LOOKS LIKE SOME GOOD SPOTS.
Old    reefhunter            08-17-2004, 1:29 PM Reply   
Thanks everybody for the help. Is there any spots that we could ride on in the afternoon at Geist that would be calm. Also I'm looking for a campgrounds to stay at, Email me if you want so I don't hijack this thread. Thanks and we'll be there with the black and white Air nautique.
Old     (shutupandboard)      Join Date: Aug 2002       08-17-2004, 1:43 PM Reply   
Don't tell these losers(Deven and Josh) where to get good water. There not taking me with them!!
Old    deiselgrover            08-17-2004, 2:50 PM Reply   
What up yoyo! We board out at Racoon and Leiber all the time (early morning only!) I don't know of any lakes that are good in Indiana on weekend afternoons. The thing about Geist is they charge you $25 on weekends to launch! Screw that. I will drive the extra bit and spend that in gas just for the fact Im not paying 25 to launch!

BT - Nice to have relative in Dale, just spent 7 days on a HouseBoat there last week. I think I have cried everymorning I have woke up since I have been home. We go every year, its my Nirvana!

Josh - Giest and Morse are the closest I would say. But if you don't mind an hour or hour and a half drive you can hit up Lieber Park, decent lake in the morning and nice camp ground too. Also Racoon is pretty close. I like that lake a bit more but the camp ground is not the greatest.
Old     (bjgreenewb)      Join Date: Jun 2003       08-17-2004, 6:45 PM Reply   
Hey Rod!
We used to go out on Racoon all the time. What kind of boat do you have? How long have you had it? I might have seen you out there before. We were going out there with a 98 Mobius direct drive with a blue metallic flake paint job up until last year. Now we're in a blue 04 Launch SSV Gravity Games :-) The wake is so big that I blew my knee out by landing a good jump out in the flats. I didn't wipe out or anything, just heard and felt a POP. It sucked.

I assume the lake you mean is Dale Hollow in TN. We're going there in September (My knee should be really good by then). We went last September and had nothing but miles of glass to ourselves! I can understand your pain of leaving it. Even though that isn't an Indiana lake, it is the best lake around for a 4 hour drive. I also heard that Lake Cumberland in KY is an excellent weekend trip glass lake.

Josh, your not hijacking the thread. The Vans Tourny is this weekend in Indy so it is relevant to this post. Morse and Geist are your closest bets, but can get rough depending on the air temp. Lower the temp, less crowded Good luck.
Old     (bjgreenewb)      Join Date: Jun 2003       08-18-2004, 8:31 AM Reply   
By the way. If you want to see how smooth Morse is in the morning, check out the intro video rough draft on wakeboardindiana.com. When you see Nick Griffin pulling out his bag of tricks, notice how smooth the water is. That is Morse during early morning.
Old    indywakechica            08-18-2004, 8:49 AM Reply   
yoyo Rod's boat is up on your site right now...monster tower review...yep Rod is my hubby :-) And yep...Dale Hollow. Trip was awesome! You going riding tomorrow?
Old    deiselgrover            08-18-2004, 2:24 PM Reply   
Yoyo, looks like indy beat me to the punch. Just got the boat this spring so I've only been on Raccoon a handful of times this year. I like the wakeboardindianas.com site. I just joined yesterday, we may not be SoCal but hey we can still rip it up anyway right?:-)
Old     (patoloco)      Join Date: May 2002       08-18-2004, 2:37 PM Reply   
Yoyo - We saw a blue mobius at racoon about 3 weeks ago on a weekday night hauling tubers(no offense) 'round the lake. I wonder if that was your old ride? I also saw a blue SSV GG ed. in the target parking lot in p-field a few weeks ago, not sure if it was you or not, but it was a nice looking boat.

Rod- Yeah , I've been going down there all my life, my entire family has been in that area for at least the last 100+ years....Grandpa even graduated from Willow Grove High school...which is now 60Ft under water..haha

Old     (bjgreenewb)      Join Date: Jun 2003       08-18-2004, 3:39 PM Reply   
BT,

That might have been my old boat. A guy that lives near Heritage lake bought the ol mobe. Last year I went wakeboarding over your grandpa's high school behind my old Mobius. :-)

The SSV GG ed in the P-field Target parking lot was me a few weeks ago. I ran in to get a waterproof camera that I used to take pics of Nick Griffin from a tube that was about 5 feet in front of him. I'm glad I didn't fall out :-)
Old     (patoloco)      Join Date: May 2002       08-19-2004, 10:18 AM Reply   
Yoyo - I bet my g-pa never sat there in math class and thought - "I wonder if 65 years from now this will all be under water and blue mobius's will be pulling wakeboarder's over this very spot"

Just for fun, for those with an interest in DH, here is a pic of the town before and after the lake.
ThisCouldbeYOURTown
Old    indywakechica            08-19-2004, 10:36 AM Reply   
Wow! Thanks for posting those pics...I had never seen any of the town before they flooded it. I know they have those sites to go dive and check out the old town...you ever done that? Heard you can go to one with the old cemetary...creepy!
Old     (ripr)      Join Date: Mar 2002       08-19-2004, 11:32 AM Reply   
You're talking about Dale Hollow, right? I heard Cumberland is the same way.
Old     (bjgreenewb)      Join Date: Jun 2003       08-19-2004, 8:30 PM Reply   
That is the best comparison picture of Dale Hollow Old School, no pun intended (clearing throat), that I have ever seen. Oh, wait, that is the only comparison picture of Dale Hollow I have ever seen. Seriously, that is cool. Is that a pic of willow grove or one of the other towns? (Hey wait, I'm hijacking my own thread)
Old     (patoloco)      Join Date: May 2002       08-19-2004, 10:56 PM Reply   
It is Willow Grove which was one of the largest town's flooded. Most people think the town location in the little inlet near the actual dock, but the main town, this pic, is located at the very start of Iron's Creek, before you round the corner to the dock...just look for the little beach on the left as you come into the hollow. I found the old pic somewhere, then took my own pic from the same location and combined. I did it just because I had also not seen many before and after pics.

I've not dived there, but in speaking with people who have, I understand its mostly old foundations and such. They clear-cut the trees and tore down all of the buildings before the lake ever backed up. When the water is way down you can see some old blocks from the surface. G-pa also hauled rock for the building of the dam, I've been to the abandoned rock quarry nearby a bunch of times, its pretty neat-o.
Old    indywakechica            08-20-2004, 6:33 AM Reply   
Ok sorry to hijack more but I've got the blues since coming home from Dale. BT...what's your favorite coves down there? I'm quite fond of Lick, Long (can't remember which one of those is what we nicknamed Diesel Grove from the gas in the water...not good for swimming and hanging out but always glass), Galton (stayed at a great spot there last week), Poor and Natty.
Old     (patoloco)      Join Date: May 2002       08-20-2004, 8:51 AM Reply   
Stay out of Galton hollow! Lots of 10 feet long killer Rattlesnakes in there! If you see an air nautique in there, we are just running them off...so don't come in...haha...

Since the whole fam and extended fam live on Holly Creek Road, we exclusively go out of there so we usually Like Galton, Roberts, Irons if we stay near home. Down the lake, I like Lick Run, Long Branch, and Kyle Branch is usually really nice. For some reason, alot of wakeboarders tend to gather in the very back left of Mitchell, although I find it usually too choppy. And of course, I have several not so obvious spots, that will go unmentioned :-), I like to hit when its busy.

The left side of Lick run has some sort of old well or something in the back of it....its been bubbling up junk as long as I can remember. I'm with you though, I love boarding in there for the glass, but it's a little unnerving to fall into the oil slick.

I love it down there, we've only been down about 4 times this summer, in years past it was every other weekend. We'll probably try to get one more trip in September if all goes well.
Old    deiselgrover            08-20-2004, 12:11 PM Reply   
Yeah I saw those Rattlesnakes, we chased some of them away for you last week. I also saw a 10' long barricuda back there. Also the Grizzleys will come down out of the woods right on to the house boat, so I agree EVERYBODY should stay out of Galton! Also its not oil in Long, its actually toxic UFO fuel bubbling out of the alien war ship that crashed there. Thats why they filled the lake up in the first place! So stay outta there too

Man everyother weekend? That is sweet. I wish I could do it. It would be worth the 4.5 hr drive to and fro for that lake. Absolutely BEAUTIFUL and glass as far as the eye can see! Oh and thanks for posting those pics, that is really cool!
Old     (balr54)      Join Date: May 2004       08-30-2004, 11:19 AM Reply   
Hey, I am going to be camping up on long lake near Wolcotteville this weekend, anybody ride there?