Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 21, 2003

Old     (the_madness)      Join Date: May 2003       05-06-2003, 8:27 AM Reply   
I'm working on starting up a company that will sell tower accessories. I'v got some new tower speaker enclosure designs, but I have a dilema I was hoping to get some help with. I want to keep the selling price down as low as possible, because I think most of the other equipment out there is rediculously high priced. My question is this is, is a quick release mount preferable for tower speakers/boxes? I have mixed feelings on this, the prototype I am building for my boat will not have quick release mounts. I would appreciate your thoughts on this. Thanks.
Old    clint_h            05-06-2003, 8:34 AM Reply   
I think a solid mount is preferable. The last thing I want to worry about is to take off my speakers every time I leave the lake.
Old     (typhoon)      Join Date: Jul 2001       05-06-2003, 8:37 AM Reply   
I like the idea of solid mount also but what about for theft and leaving your boat out?
Old     (sid7)      Join Date: Mar 2003       05-06-2003, 8:49 AM Reply   
i have to settle with parking my boat in the driveway so i have built a quick-release system myself.
I like the quick release for my situation now but if i had a big enough garage or storage i would get the solid mount...
Old     (drewsy)      Join Date: Mar 2003       05-06-2003, 8:53 AM Reply   
I like the pin & set screw like Wake Designs. it doesn't take too long to install and not too much of a pain. We are usually at a motel and i like knowing my stuff is locked up.
Old    clint_h            05-06-2003, 8:54 AM Reply   
Personally I would like to see some unusual bolts like a star head or something along those lines.
Old     (phil_deez)      Join Date: Jan 2003       05-06-2003, 8:58 AM Reply   
It would be nice to see a mount that is a quick release with some sort of locking mechanism. That way if you are traveling or leave your boat outside you can take the speakers off or lock them so they cannot be stolen. However it still has to look good. No one wants a huge goddy looking clamp.
Old     (the_madness)      Join Date: May 2003       05-06-2003, 11:19 AM Reply   
With regard to theft, I was planning on drilling out one of the allen bolt heads on each clamp so the allen head would basically be stripped out. Then the only way to get the box off would be to drill out the bolt. The criminals would at least have to "work" for a living. I was thinking of doing the same with the screws that nold the speakers in. Hopefully I never have to take the box apart.
Old     (bigdad)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-06-2003, 4:22 PM Reply   
I'm actually very interested in a quick release. It would be easier to take the speakers off and store them away. True a locking mechanism may slow down the criminals but why tempt them to enter your boat. If it isn't there then they can't steal it. Hey Brad -if you can make them relatively cheap I am interested.
Old     (the_madness)      Join Date: May 2003       05-06-2003, 5:38 PM Reply   
A.P. I'm not sure about a good cheap quick release, but I expect the tower box to be significantly cheaper than say a Boss can setup or the Defcon cans. The box will be powder coated aluminum and hold 4 6x9's. I'll post pics. in a couple weeks after I finish the first one.
Old     (ofwc)      Join Date: Sep 2002       05-06-2003, 6:24 PM Reply   
What's your price point for the box going to be?
Old     (sdboardr99)      Join Date: Aug 2001       05-06-2003, 8:24 PM Reply   
I park my boat out on the street so I definitely wanted quick release brackets. I also like the fact that I don't end up with a ton of bugs plastered to the speaker cans after driving out to the river.
Old    tclagggym            05-06-2003, 10:32 PM Reply   
Just thinking out side the box. Solid mounts, motion censor alarm?
Old     (the_madness)      Join Date: May 2003       05-06-2003, 11:02 PM Reply   
I'm Still working on the final pricing but a rough cut is $299 for a empty 4 6"x9" box with two tower clamps, everything powder coated to match your tower. With 4 MB Quart DTC 6"x9"s $699 and with 4 Hella 55 Watt lights $899. Do you think these prices will fly? Loudliquid loaded with three lights goes for $1399. Four Boss B-69s would run $1599 with no lights.
Old     (the_madness)      Join Date: May 2003       05-06-2003, 11:03 PM Reply   
I like the alarm idea, anyone else use motion sensor alarms on their boat? How well do they work with the cover on and the wind blowing???
Old    clint_h            05-07-2003, 7:18 AM Reply   
Gotta watch out for the battery drain on the Alarm!
Old    tclagggym            05-07-2003, 8:51 AM Reply   
If your running 2 batts, should not be to much of a problem, as long as your hitting the lake often. Some guys run a charger to the boat when not using it often.
Old     (bigdad)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-07-2003, 1:13 PM Reply   
$299 sounds like a good price. I would definitely be interested in. What material are you making the box out of. I have a couple of pairs of 6 X 9's that I'm looking to put in a box. If you can send me a pic or post one here.
Old     (ofwc)      Join Date: Sep 2002       05-07-2003, 2:50 PM Reply   
$299 is a good price with clamps.

Will the clamps be quick release? If not, how much more for quick release?

Just a thought...you may want to contact Ryan at Ryno-Gear.com and see if you can cut some kind of deal on his clamps. He has quick release style and he also milled prototypes of non-quick release for cans, but these didn't seem to take off.
Old     (the_madness)      Join Date: May 2003       05-07-2003, 2:52 PM Reply   
The box is made of Aluminum and I was planning on powder coating to order, but I will also be looking into a brushed aluminum finish, chrome and black chrome. I will get the first one back from the shop on 5-20. It won't be powder coated yet, but I'll post some pics. I plan to have some standard finishes and configurations, but I also will have no probles with custom finishes, speaker cut out configurations, etc...... This box will also be unique in that it is designed to be mounted on top of the tower (all though it could be mounted under the tower). This might sound a little odd, but it looks pretty cool in my head. I just don't want to be hitting my dome on the bottom of the box every time I stand up.