Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (FryguyPA)      Join Date: Jun 2013       07-08-2013, 11:45 AM Reply   
My son is trying to surf. He cant drop the rope without falling off the back of the wave. Not sure if it boat set up, board or his technique. I have a 2010 Master Craft X2. I had factory back tank full and fly high sack on top full, KGB in floor full and bow bag filled. Trim tab down, three adults in boat and two kids most on port side. Any suggestions on how to make wake better would be appreciated. He usually rides a Liquid Force Fish 5'3"

Thanks!
Attached Images

Old     (dreamer)      Join Date: Nov 2008       07-08-2013, 11:59 AM Reply   
A little more weight on the toes of the front foot. When your weight is on the back foot you are braking (going backwards).
Old     (Chaos)      Join Date: Apr 2010       07-08-2013, 12:00 PM Reply   
Wake looks OK. Like most beginners he is holding the rope too firmly (and with two hands) and leaning back to much. His rear leg is bent too much and his front leg is stretch out. He needs to square up his toes towards the wake and put more weight forward.
Old     (johnboyy7)      Join Date: Apr 2011       07-08-2013, 1:21 PM Reply   
way too much back leg. front foot is the gas, back foot is the brake. tell him to work on keeping the rope limp. thats when you are holding the wave and are ready to go ropeless.
Old     (501s)      Join Date: Feb 2010       07-09-2013, 12:10 AM Reply   
Have you tried adjusting the plate to see what it does to the wave?
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       07-09-2013, 3:25 AM Reply   
The notes about the front foot are right on. Also, he should square up to the wave more. One tip we do with a lot of new riders is use a rope or adjust a rope so that its length is set so that when you are in the pocket, there is some slack but not too much. Tell the rider to NOT choke up on the rope, but slack it. This will force them to lean forward and learn to catch up to the boat instead of pulling on the rope. At that point, have them let go of the rope with their back hand and only hold with the front hand. This will help them square their body better to the wave and get the right position. Tell them to make small corrections, not big ones and tell them to take their time and get stable. Once they can stay stable in the pocket with slack, instruct them how to let go of the rope. Most new riders will want to throw in the rope like everyone else does. Once you see them stable and slacked tell them to let go when you tell them to, but only to LET GO, just drop the rope without throwing or moving their hands. You, in the boat tell them to LET GO and then when they do snap the rope away quick so it doesn't splash or tangle in the board and make them fall.

Once they let go tell them to hold their arms out toward the wake, like superman. This helps them keep their weight on their toes and over the board. These are just tips, use what works. I never tell a rider all of this at once, tell them as they learn. First tell them how to get up, then tell them how to position their feet, then tell them how to make small adjustments, etc. If you tell them all at once its usually too much.

Have fun and post pictures when they get up. You may find some good tips in this video we did some time ago, hope it helps.

Old     (kimper)      Join Date: May 2008       07-09-2013, 9:38 AM Reply   
I Surfed an 08 X2 for 3 summers. I think the hull is the same.

First thing. Make sure you are in a minimum of 10ft of water. If under 10ft depth your wave will always be lousy.

Second thing. Search for weighting tips in Mastercraft team talk.

Looked like you guys were on the port side. The X2 likes alot of weight focused on the surf side.
I weighted mine with port factory ballast full, port rear locker fly-hi full, port seat bag under there full... I don't recall weight on that one but it took up whole locker, then a #750 bag on top of port seat. I have placed weight all over that boat and never saw any improvements with front/bow weigth. You want some major list - rub rail a few inches above water on surf side.

I was able to get a pretty good wave with that weight, but it was always a tad washy on top. I have heard that the wake plate can fix that wash on top, but I didn't have one.

Good luck!
Old     (surfdoggy)      Join Date: Dec 2009       07-10-2013, 6:13 AM Reply   
Good tips above on going ropeless.

We have found that one thing that helps is to tell people to 1) face the wake; 2) stand straight up; and 3) while standing straight up, push their knees out over their toes, especially the front knee. This helps get their weight over their toes, and points the board more inward.. Many people, if you just tell them to put weight over their toes lean way forward, or crouch way down, which results in them sticking their butt out, and the net effect is even less weight over their toes.

You son is leaning back against the rope, his chest is facing the boat, and his front knee is locked straight. Change those three things, and he should be able to drop the rope in no time.