Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 27, 2003

Old     (nautiboarder)      Join Date: Mar 2003       07-22-2003, 6:00 PM Reply   
I've just recently purchased a 2000 pro air nautique. Every time I put gas in it, it takes a good 20 min. to fuel. I can't even put it on the slowest speed, or it kicks off. Is this normal?
Also, emptying the ballast tanks, whats the trick?
Old     (monkey)      Join Date: Oct 2002       07-22-2003, 6:15 PM Reply   
My boat makes the pump kick off if I don't turn the pump until I find the right angle. Also, certain gas stations have pumps that kick off way too easily and pump way too slow. I just avoid them.
Old     (nautiboarder)      Join Date: Mar 2003       07-22-2003, 6:30 PM Reply   
i've tried different stations, angles, etc. i've even tried cranking the boat up to get a little better angle...no luck.
Old     (barry)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-22-2003, 6:40 PM Reply   
Grant gave me an awesome bit of advice since I have the same problem with my V-210.
When you insert the nozzle, turn it 180 degree's from normal.. so that you're actually inserting the nozzle upside down.. you'll be pushing the handle instead of pulling.
Works like a champ..
Btw, Thanks Grants.. awesome advice.
Old     (todd_everton)      Join Date: Jan 2003       07-22-2003, 7:56 PM Reply   
It does that becuase you probably have a filter in the filler neck.I have the same prob,but I deal with it.You can take it out,but I would advise against it.
Old    ridinhigh            07-23-2003, 1:10 PM Reply   
I had a 99 Pro Air and like Barry mentioned I had to turn the nozzle 180 degree's from normal.
Old     (nautiboarder)      Join Date: Mar 2003       07-23-2003, 3:43 PM Reply   
I've tried turning the nozzle 180 degree's but that doesn't even help. Oh well, I guess i'll just have to live with it.
thanks.
Old     (troyl)      Join Date: Feb 2002       07-23-2003, 3:59 PM Reply   
Its pretty easy to remove the back wrap around and check the fill hose and the vent tube for kinks. Mine works with the 180 degree turn and pulling it out just a bit, but you may have a fill tube problem.
Old     (nautiboarder)      Join Date: Mar 2003       07-23-2003, 6:13 PM Reply   
Thanks Troy, i'm going out to the garage and check it now.
Old    dwe            07-23-2003, 6:22 PM Reply   
I had a similar problem. Try not inserting the nozzle in all the way. The bend in the boat's gas line causes the fuel to back up and kick off the nozzle. Partially insert it and hold the sleeve, kinda like filling a gas can. You can hear a change in the sound as the tank is close to being full.
Old     (nautiboarder)      Join Date: Mar 2003       07-23-2003, 6:28 PM Reply   
David, its so bad I can only slowly squeeze the handle, and just a few seconds after that it kicks off.
Old     (nautiboarder)      Join Date: Mar 2003       07-23-2003, 6:33 PM Reply   
I just went out into the garage to check it out, its pretty easy to get to. There wasn't any kinks in the lines, but from the way it looks, the tank is very close to the fill hole. The hose from the fill hole to the tank doesn't have much drop, and it looks like the hose maybe has a little dip in it, instead of a steady flow straight into the tank. Do you think that could be the problem? Do you think I could cut off a small peice, to make it a little shorter?
Old     (susieq)      Join Date: May 2002       07-23-2003, 9:19 PM Reply   
The vapor recovery systems that we have in California cause problems when there is vapor backed up in the hose. Sometimes just using your hand to pull the boot back from sealing around the fill helps.
Old    ridinhigh            07-24-2003, 6:04 AM Reply   
This might be a little far fetched but did you check your overflow line for problems? When you pump gas there tends to be a large amount of air that gets pumped in as well. If the overflow line is kinked/blocked/not big enough the air can't escape fast enough which puts back pressue into the tank and the only outlet is the fill line. Just a thought...

On your ballast tanks I found the best/only way to drain them is to do it at a stand still or extremely slow speed. Once I got the boat on the trailer I actually emptied them until the water stopped flowing from underneath. My gauges were extremely inaccurate when it came to emptying.
Old    the_fng            07-24-2003, 1:45 PM Reply   
Deven,

While you had the trunk access panels out, did you notice whether the vent line had a trap in it. A deep enough trap would cause burping in the vent tube that would probably shut down the pump. Check for fuel in that trap by removing the fuel cap and then blowing gently into the vent nipple on the hull (cover it with a rag first). If there's fuel trapped you ought to be able to feel it gurgling like blowing bubbles thru a straw. A fill strategy that I use on slow filling boats is to pick the side of the pump that has some slope downhill and position the boat/trailer so that the fuel fill is always on the high side of the tank.

The ProAir shouldn't be this much of a problem the fill...reexamine the vent hose.

Old    jplorenz            07-24-2003, 2:06 PM Reply   
Deven -
If your pro air is like my 2000 SAN the ballast drains and fills from the bottom of the boat. As mentioned above, the only way to drain while on the water is to be at a stand still or idle speed at most. The water intake/drain is positioned such that it scoops up water as you are moving. So for the drain pump to work at its best you don't want it fighting the water that is trying to be pushed in if you are moving... (Don't forget to open the air vents when draining and filling too.)
Hope this helps.
John L.
Old     (nautiboarder)      Join Date: Mar 2003       07-25-2003, 3:55 PM Reply   
Thanks for all the help. I'm going to mess with it a little and see what I can come up with.
As far a the ballast, to get them to fill I keep messing with the knobs until they start to gergle, usually I leave them about 1/2 open and that seems to work the best. When trying to empty the tanks, should you also hear the gergling sound? If so, once again I have to keep messing with the knobs to get them started. Does it take a really long time to empty, how long should it take?
Old    gotpwr            07-25-2003, 10:44 PM Reply   
Deven, It sounds like your empty pump might be bad. You should be able to open the valves all the way and hit the pump and the tanks should empty within 5 minutes. When my empty pump went bad it would take a good 20-30 minutes with the boat not moving for them to empty. My gas tank fills the same way. Rotating the nozzle 180 helps some.

(Message edited by gotpwr on July 25, 2003)
Old    whitechocolate            07-26-2003, 2:48 PM Reply   
The reason the gas kicks back is because it feel's back pressuer this can be from 2 reasons either the way the gas is entering the Hose/fill hole You can turn the Nozzle to try to have a straighter shot therw the hose or Re rout the filler hose in your boat If the filler haoe has a kink or is restricted in any way it will cause back pressuer and make the hose kick back. good luck
And barry your welcome. No problem!
Old     (nautiboarder)      Join Date: Mar 2003       07-27-2003, 8:47 AM Reply   
Dan, I think maybe I do have a bad pump. If I see you in Cumberland next week end, maybe you can give me a few tips on it, and see what you think.
Old    gotpwr            07-27-2003, 10:49 AM Reply   
Sure, no problem. I'll look for you next weekend.
Old     (nautiboarder)      Join Date: Mar 2003       07-27-2003, 6:56 PM Reply   
cool, hope to see you there.
Old    mbsteve            07-28-2003, 8:51 AM Reply   
i had the same problem, the pump would click off, and gas would back up and go on the side of the boat. the fill hose is very short and has almost no drop. turns out it was the way the fuel ventwas done. the dealer did a little adjustment and now it works great.