Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (flienlow)      Join Date: Dec 2015       01-10-2016, 9:06 PM Reply   
Could someone tell me the best way to make some mooring buoys? Our floating dock is in sad shape, and get beat to heck when the boats drive by. The double rocking action between dock in boat seems to tear both up. Since we just bought a new boat, and need to recover financially.The dock will need to wait. Until then (or until I buy a life) I would love some advice if anyone has done it.

Thanks all.
Old     (Bevostein)      Join Date: Oct 2015       01-11-2016, 7:52 AM Reply   
Buy a mooring buoy, some chain and a shackle large enough that it wont slip through the middle of the buoy. Attach the shackle to one end of the chain. Thread the non shackle end of the chain through the buoy and attach to weight.

I cemented my chain inside a discarded tire that filled with cement. To do this cut a circle of plywood and put inside one side of the tire. Fill with cement and embed chain in the cement. Might put a couple of bolts through the chain links in the cement so it grabs in the cement better.

Once the cement set I tied a three person tube to the top of tire and rolled the whole thing into the lake. Float it out to where you want it and cut the rope attaching it to the tube. Viola!

Cost wise you are out the mooring buoy, chain, shackle and cement
Old     (cedarcreek216V)      Join Date: Aug 2011       01-11-2016, 12:27 PM Reply   
We installed Whips on our dock this year. They work great in all instances other than real ugly storms. I bought the 20,000 pound rated Taylor Made Premium whips for I think $800 or something like that. Super easy to use and keeps the boat close to the dock, but off it about 5' when fully extended.
Old     (flienlow)      Join Date: Dec 2015       01-11-2016, 3:03 PM Reply   
Do you have a floating dock?
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       01-11-2016, 8:14 PM Reply   
Just buy a mooring buoy. There are often administrative restrictions on what is an acceptable buoy, although these may not be followed by many.
I have my buoy attached to the same anchor as holds the cable for my floating dock. It's held in place with chain. The top six to eight feet wear faster than the bottom so watch that over the years.
I have whips on my dock also and they are great for most things. In a storm, however, the added force of the boat moves a floating dock a lot. My boat goes on the buoy if I know a storm might come up.