Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through June 21, 2006

Old     (bbeach)      Join Date: Jul 2002       05-15-2006, 8:14 AM Reply   
Awhile back I posted some pics of my 1990 Prostar 190 boat trailer refurb project... That thread has since been archived (http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/3183/309617.html)
but here's the finished pics...

Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (tparider)      Join Date: Aug 2003       05-15-2006, 8:16 AM Reply   
Sharp trailer and sharp boat man. Nice job.
Old     (bbeach)      Join Date: Jul 2002       05-15-2006, 8:17 AM Reply   
A few more...Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       05-15-2006, 8:32 AM Reply   
nice job!!! that thing looks spankin new
Old     (wakejunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-15-2006, 8:39 AM Reply   
Does look good. You must drag that low tail alot. Looks really low. Like the guide pole lights, helps in backing as well as late evening retrieval.

Chris
Get the Grip you Deserve
www.wakejunky.com
Old     (greenpinky)      Join Date: Apr 2004       05-15-2006, 9:38 AM Reply   
Looks absolutely perfect. Better than new! Boat looks like it is in very nice shape too. You know what you're doing!
Old     (bradenb12)      Join Date: Jul 2005       05-15-2006, 11:18 AM Reply   
Impressive!
Old     (bradenb12)      Join Date: Jul 2005       05-15-2006, 11:20 AM Reply   
If you don't mind me asking how much did all of that cost?
Old     (bbeach)      Join Date: Jul 2002       05-15-2006, 11:56 AM Reply   
I don't mind at all bb12... Before I started I figured I'd spend $600, I ended up spending $841.00... (approx)

Here's the break down...
-$400 (with tax) for sandblasting and powdercoating of the trailer. (RMI, Olathe, KS)
- $200 give or take a few dollars for LED lights carpet, wiring and stainless steel bolts, fiberglass resin, sandpaper, etc...
- $114 for the swing away tongue kit from Croft Trailer in Kansas City, KS
- $100 in paint, hardener, and thinner...
- $27 for all the stickers and pinstriping. I designed the stickers myself with Adobe Illustrator and a gentleman I work with cut them on his sticker machine at home. And the pinstriping was from Orielly's for $6.99 (40ft did the whole trailer)

Of course I can't even figure the amount of labor since we did it all on our own. Except the welding, which my neighbor graciously did for free. (he's a professional welder). I lost track of the hours I spent stripping the trailer, re-wiring, sanding those fenders, etc. The stickers and pin striping took me about 2 hours to install... Pinstriping is a b*tch to get straight if you've never done it, but after a few wiggly lines I got the hang of it and got it all striped straight...

Here in a minute I'll post a few BEFORE pics...
Old     (bbeach)      Join Date: Jul 2002       05-15-2006, 12:02 PM Reply   
A few before pics... It was in bad shape...
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload

(Message edited by bbeach on May 15, 2006)
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       05-15-2006, 1:16 PM Reply   
nice job, those are some impressive before/after pics. I hate to say it, but I think I'm to lazy for that type of project. I envy people with that much dedication.
Old     (wakejunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-15-2006, 3:59 PM Reply   
bbeach,

What did you do with your boat during your process?

Chris
www.wakejunky.com
Old     (_jason_)      Join Date: Jun 2005       05-15-2006, 4:29 PM Reply   
wow thats amazing. Great work! ill bring mine over in 2 weeks :-)
Old     (dan_forrest)      Join Date: Jan 2006       05-15-2006, 5:58 PM Reply   
Nice Job!! Looks great.
Old     (bradenb12)      Join Date: Jul 2005       05-15-2006, 6:54 PM Reply   
That's pretty cheap considering all the work you did. I would like to rehab mine in the future. Heck, I'm down in Wichita...come do mine! lol
Old    mendo247            05-15-2006, 7:21 PM Reply   
VERY NICE JOB!!!! i love projects like this.. im getting ready to redo the trailer on my jetboat.. you saved your self a ton of money doing it your self.. for what its worth i did a trailer for a customer about a year ago basically stripping it where needed and fixing a few dings on the fenders and he was more than happy with the $2,250.00 i charged.. i did use expensive paint though.. i had about $650.00 in paint materials alone (used dupont single stage with 2 coats of clear on top)... again nice work!!
Old     (bbeach)      Join Date: Jul 2002       05-16-2006, 7:49 AM Reply   
Wakejunky -
Lucikly for me I have a friend who has the exact boat as mine who lives just around the lake. Thier boat sits on a lift all summer and thier trailer just sits in a field, so I borrowed their trailer to keep my boat on while I was refurbing mine... This whole process took me a few months, but I wasn't working on it every weekend either.

Richard - I was trying to avoid spending that kind of money! Wow $2250, REALLY? Maybe I'm in the wrong business! The paint I used on the fenders isn't the best paint job... Its 3 coats of hardened gloss black... No clear coats... I chose to go with the powder coat on the frame for durability and price. Much cheaper having it sandblasted and PC'ed instead of trying to paint the whole thing.
Old     (klpnautique)      Join Date: Jun 2005       05-16-2006, 2:04 PM Reply   
wow! actually WOW! :-)
Old     (bbeach)      Join Date: Jul 2002       05-19-2006, 10:27 AM Reply   
quick question... Anyone know if its against the law to run my guide pole (yellow) lights as running lights on the road in Missouri/Kansas?

If so I might rewire them to only come on during reverse, or braking...
Old     (rgilby)      Join Date: Jan 2006       05-19-2006, 11:17 AM Reply   
in my opinion ... oh sorry...IMO...the trailer (in general, not just yours) makes the boat look good or bad a lot of the times...and in this case, it makes your boat look a lot better because it looks newer...but man for a 16 year old boat, how does it look that clean? are those new boat graphics/pinstriping on the boat too? and the white looks great as well. how'd you manage that? what's your secret?
Old     (bbeach)      Join Date: Jul 2002       05-19-2006, 11:28 AM Reply   
Actually Ryan the boat decals are all original as is the pinstriping (on the boat)... I guess the secret is wax often... Keep of the docks and have friends that are careful... It definately has its share of dings and scratches but I wax twice a year (Meguiars Gold Class) and wipe down with chamois every time I use it... This boat hardly ever sits outside overnight and has been babied by me and its 2 previos owners. The 2 previous owners were friends who I actually ski with, but I didn't know them until I bought the boat. Of course they have each tried to buy it back from me! I've got about 780 hours on this boat now so its still got a lot of life left I hope! thanks for the compliments!
Old     (bbeach)      Join Date: Jul 2002       05-19-2006, 11:30 AM Reply   
Its really too bad the trailer didn't hold up like the boat has, otherwise I wouldn't have had to refurbish it! But it was a fun project... And in the trailers defense its had a lot of miles put on it over the years and lots of rock chips... Which is what led me to refurb it in the first place because it wasn't helping the looks of the boat...
Old     (bremsen)      Join Date: Aug 2005       05-19-2006, 12:42 PM Reply   
I'm pretty sure its legal to mount amber marker lights just about anywhere....I mean, just look at a some of the rigs/trailers riding down the highway.

Great job on the trailer....it looks outstanding.
Old     (wakeandsnow27)      Join Date: Jun 2004       05-19-2006, 10:49 PM Reply   
wow.........thats carazy man. great work.
Old     (summerobsession)      Join Date: Jun 2005       05-24-2006, 1:25 PM Reply   
Fantastic work! I would expect nothing less from a genuine farmer educated K-State grad!!!

I can't imagine how horrible it would look if a city-boy KU grad made that attempt!!!

GO CATS!!!
Every man a wildcat! Or, is it every CAT a WILDMAN?!?
Old     (bbeach)      Join Date: Jul 2002       05-25-2006, 9:15 AM Reply   
11 cans of skoal were killed in the making of this trailer!

GO WILDCATS!
Old     (ktmwakeboarder)      Join Date: Jun 2004       05-25-2006, 10:51 AM Reply   
Great job! I love the innovative lights in the guide poles