Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through June 30, 2009

Old     (evolution88)      Join Date: Jun 2009       06-29-2009, 10:44 AM Reply   
Hello,yep, new here. I've been getting more and more into boarding and a friend let me use his Nevin neck brace. Made crashing a lot less painful as I didn't twist my neck around.

Anyone know where these or an equivalent can be purchased?

Thank you
Old     (xbones)      Join Date: Mar 2007       06-29-2009, 10:54 AM Reply   
You can find them next to the gloves, goggles, and non-rail helmets at the following website:

www.thesethingsarelame.com
Old     (xbones)      Join Date: Mar 2007       06-29-2009, 10:59 AM Reply   
LOL... welcome to WW!!! I was just hazing a little... seriously though, there is no need for a neck brace man. Hit the gym and work that neck out, you'll save face with the ladies ;)
Old     (evolution88)      Join Date: Jun 2009       06-29-2009, 11:07 AM Reply   
Dude, that actually was pretty funny. Best part, I actually clicked before reading what you had written.

Seriously, I'm too old to worry about saving face, more concerned about saving my neck.

Old     (xbones)      Join Date: Mar 2007       06-29-2009, 11:33 AM Reply   
Honestly though... the best thing you can do is neck workouts. If you have a gym with a machine its self explanatory... but if not, you can do the "tri-pod" (feet and head) at home. You just roll your neck from side to side and back and forth. You can start with your hands down at first if you can't do it, but try and work your way up to putting your hands behind your back. Also, shrugs are a good neck workout.

I have never in all my life and in all my time on Wakeworld seen someone ride in a neck brace. Don't do it!
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       06-29-2009, 12:39 PM Reply   
I think most neck injuries are strains. imo you'd be better of stretching than doing neck exercises which would tighten up your neck and increase your potential for neck strains.

Also on the neck brace...wouldn't that prevent you from looking up or down? I think you'll have trouble with inverts this way. And in situations where you do want to tuck you chin to avoid a face smack, you'll be kind of screwed I think.
Old     (unclejessie)      Join Date: Jan 2004       06-29-2009, 3:40 PM Reply   
Hey Ron,
I wore one for one summer many years ago while I was trying to bring back a HS3. I was getting blown up everytime I attempted one. I know why you want one... they actually work realy well. I also had no problem doing tantrums and backrolls with it.

I honestly think both of these comments will help, but having been a gym rat all my adult life, there is no exersize that makes a bell ringing edge catch feel any better on your neck and head... it makes the pain go from really really bad pain, to just bad pain...

I eventually traded the brace in for a helmet and realized the head hits on the water were so much easier with the helmet. I clearly remember after putting on the helmet that I did not mind the neck strains anymore. I think the true source of pain on a blown up 3 was the constant head pounding. The helmet absolutely reduced the abuse I giving myself!

I am sure I got laughed at, but it doesn't (and didn't) matter to me either... I wanted to progress and it was a great way for to build confidence to evan try that damn trick.

I rember putting it on once when I was taking a lesson from some guys in the delta and honestly, they were so stunned they didn't know what to say... then they saw my crashes on my 3 and quickly realized why I wanted one! After about 20 crashes that day my neck felt fine!

Just my 2 cents.

-Uj
Old     (homedawg678)      Join Date: Jan 2007       06-29-2009, 3:57 PM Reply   
I clicked......
Old     (bobenglish)      Join Date: Mar 2008       06-29-2009, 5:57 PM Reply   
Second Uncle jessie. Helmet has greatly decreased the headache and neck pain of catching an edge while spinning.
Old     (powercorps)      Join Date: Nov 2006       06-30-2009, 9:20 AM Reply   
I have a feeling that a neck brace might actually cause injury in a bad crash... but i have no idea.
Old     (filmshoot)      Join Date: Jun 2011       08-03-2011, 4:45 AM Reply   
after messin' my neck up on july 4th... and not being able to turn my head for about a week after that... I did some reading while all layed up in pain, and picked up a neck brace... I haven't tried it yet, but it's a pretty cool design and comfy. I'll post up when I get a chance to go back out and give it a go.

I think a helmet might look more dorky than a neck brace.. but i'm not sure yet.. I haven't tried wearing a helmet either.