Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (tinytim)      Join Date: Jan 2010       01-28-2010, 10:37 AM Reply   
I just purchased my first ever boat(2001 malibu wakesetter lsv) in California from a private party & need to get it shipped to me in Minnesota. Does anyone know of a good shipping company to do this for me? Thanks for the advice.
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       01-28-2010, 10:43 AM Reply   
I'd just go onto Uship and create an ad and see who comes up with the best price and the best reviews.

Congrats on the purchase. Nice to see another Wakesetter in MN.

What lake will you be on?
Old     (tinytim)      Join Date: Jan 2010       01-28-2010, 10:52 AM Reply   
I will mostly be on the mississippi river. I live in the St. Cloud area. Thanks for the info. Are you in the Maple groove area? I think you sent me a email not to long ago.
Old     (slipknot)      Join Date: Aug 2001       01-28-2010, 11:27 AM Reply   
you can try Sammy Orr Trucking in TN, he moved one of my boats from TN to CA

Sammy Orr Trucking Co
Street: 6250 US Highway 411 South
Maryville, tn 37801-1071
Phone: (865) 856-2854
Old     (packrat)      Join Date: Mar 2005       01-28-2010, 12:24 PM Reply   
Be carefull using someone on UShip unless they can provide copies of insurance information regarding towing your boat. I got a couple of bids once and two of the guys only had insurance on their trucks and "thought" my boat might be covered. I would also go so far as to call their insurance carrier to see if they still had insurance and didn't let it lapse but showed you a valid insurance card. I had planned on using Kyle at Osborne Transport as they had a flatbed with a hitch specifically set up for inboards and I didn't have to put the tower down. They gave me a fair price and knew about how to ship boats specifically. They also had special covers for the boat too.
The guy selling the boat wouldn't deal on the price so I bought elsewhere. I have heard guys who had serious damage from the tower being laid down and chipping the gel coat and ruining the upholstery. Also get references although those can be bogus too just friends of the trucker so be careful. Be sure to wrap the trailer also to eliminate chips.
Check with your local Malibu dealer to see who they use just to compare.
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       01-28-2010, 12:32 PM Reply   
I have used RV Transport. They are licensed, bonded and real professional. They bumper tow it for you. They have drivers everywhere. Won't be cheap, but they will do a good job. Let Leah know tyler sent you (503) 788-6430 x10 Leah
Old     (supra)      Join Date: Aug 2002       01-28-2010, 12:43 PM Reply   
I have been using RA Guthrie for over a year , no problems at all, insured.... Rick or Marty 406-257-4509 Tell them Kevin referred you
Old     (leveraged)      Join Date: Oct 2009       01-28-2010, 2:23 PM Reply   
how fars the drive? why not try and do a road trip and tow it yourself?
I just towed a sport nautique i imported into australia from Brisbane to my town and thats 2200km. Dunno what type of car you had but i was towing with a v6 4L hilux, im sure you've got some type of yank tank for towing prob get ok fuel efficiency, i got about 500km to a tank (not sure what that is in miles). Saved myself a few grand on transport and had a road trip instead....except mine was nothing like the movie unforunately, but i did kill a goanna (lizard)
Old     (newmy79)      Join Date: Jun 2005       04-26-2010, 4:11 PM Reply   
So I too am going to be in need very soon of a company that can ship a boat across the country from West coast to East coast, preferably in a container or inside and not towing it.

I'm wondering if Dan ever found such a company for his need and if there are any others out there that will see this post and reply. There has to be more people that have needed a service like this on Wakeworld.

Road tripping it is not an option for me unfortunately, because I would love to have that option but the 2500 miles one-way is a serious deterrent and I'd have to take off a week of work just to pick it up and bring it back.

Does anyone have a ballpark figure of what this costs?
Old     (justintime)      Join Date: Mar 2009       04-26-2010, 8:38 PM Reply   
the best guys are on www.thehulltruth.com
those guys on that board ship boats all the time
Old     (newmy79)      Join Date: Jun 2005       05-04-2010, 5:51 PM Reply   
Secondary question of mine: After checking a couple of transport companies it seems that shipping the boat in an enclosed trailer or flatbed costs a LOT more than just towing it. Has anyone ever had a boat shipped by having he company tow it? I'm real leery about this because it's a 2,500 mile trip.